Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Average Torque Performance Tune?

Niran

• 2 weeks later...
 boon said:
Is it definitely that Aaron?

Yeah well when I called back to book my car in with Chris the new guy at STM said he had gone but the new tuner Aaron could do it and I asked were he was from and he said he did all shreds cars so guessing its the same one.

Hi guys New to this forum and you guys seem very helpful, I just bought a 2010 STI Impreza and was looking at getting it tuned during the next few weeks, I live in the Naki but travel down to Otaki most weeks for work so was looking at going to STM, but since Chris has left and people seem to be avoiding the new tuner is there any one else closer to home that can do it? Ive done exhaust and down pipe and has a fuel pump etc.

• 1 month later...

This thread should be changed from Average TQP Tune to DISTASTROUS Torque Performance Tune.

This car was tuned in 2014 as per below at approx 91,000km.

The owner was a chef and basically took the car in regularly for servicing and paid whatever bill Torque wrote up for him.

He worked, lived and parked in CBD and drove the car on mostly on long trips to visit family.

At the time it had a downpipe from Subtech+K&N intake system. Everything else was stock

fxhonv3u.uub.jpg

I purchased the car in May this year. 105,000km

Did the necessary general servicing, made sure all fluids were changed and fresh and to the right levels.

Took it to a controlled testing day at Pukekohe. At this point, I had only driven the car for less than 200km all up.

Did 3-4 warm up laps and on the 5th lap, engine seized abruptly. Turns out the bottom end bearing was gone and the pistons were melted, stuck together.

Damage to cam gears as well.

My mechanic got a brand new OEM shortblock kit from Winger, fitted to originally head after a lot of cleaning and machining with new cam gears and cambelt done, along with clutch. Took my time and wore in the engine and clutch over next 1000+ km, using 2 changes of run in oil before switching to full synth.

We fitted a boost gauge and notice boost spikes all over the show.

Fitted a new stainless 3” midpipe and a DW65 then went for the tune last night- aiming for max reliability and useable torque instead of chasing any power figures.

The tuner found that the maps by Torque Performance were badly written. There were things that shouldn’t have been fiddled with.

The boost cut was non-existent at 3bar… and the car was knocking bad.

The red shows base run (on Torque Performance Tune) and the other line shows the result of hours of unf***king TQP’s mess.

gk5b550u.rp4.jpg

dyfypowc.nnz.jpg

The 2014 tune was completely messed up, as it took the tuner 2 hours to undo all the changes that Torque Performance had made, prior to carrying out the ACTUAL tune which yielded another 103nm at 3000rpm as per dyno sheets.

The 2014 tune that was in the ECU was extremely unsafe to the point that the 2016 tuner was unable to keep his foot pinned down for a dyno run; due to excessive knock and the 'self learning' capabilities of the stock Subaru ECU.

There was 22 degrees of timing in peak torque + the amount of timing added via Subaru's knock correction table.

So the car was running anywhere between 22deg-30deg in boost.

WAIT HOLD ON. MY CAR ISN'T ON E85! It’s on BP98!!!!!

New tune has had more than 40-50% timing removed

We suspect that the previously tune was highly causative or contributory towards the catastrophic failure of the original motor at only 105000km, despite a full NZ service history with Torque Performance over a 2-3 year period of which I retained a stack of receipts from the previous owner.

I am collating information and relevant documents and will be confronting TQP at some stage in the near future for an explanation.

Edited by guiltysky

• 1 year later...

This is all very interesting, my v7 sti was tuned by torque performance using an ECUTEK in 2007 to 200kw on 20psi with 825nm of torque, since then it hasn't been back in the dyno at all to my knowledge, I purchased the car and have only done maintenance, and handling / braking upgrades, while in Auckland this week (I live in Wellington) I decided to take it in and put it back on the dyno

they ran data logging which showed no issues, then did a power run, it produced 202kw on 20psi and made 825nm of torque, they said it's as healthy as I could hope for, they said without upgrading turbo, tmic etc i won't gain much and they didn't want to play with the tune as it had proven to be reliable for the last 10 years

so reading all these comments about your bad experiences with them actually surprised me

1 hour ago, JAPSPX_v7 said:

This is all very interesting, my v7 sti was tuned by torque performance using an ECUTEK in 2007 to 200kw on 20psi with 825nm of torque, since then it hasn't been back in the dyno at all to my knowledge, I purchased the car and have only done maintenance, and handling / braking upgrades, while in Auckland this week (I live in Wellington) I decided to take it in and put it back on the dyno

they ran data logging which showed no issues, then did a power run, it produced 202kw on 20psi and made 825nm of torque, they said it's as healthy as I could hope for, they said without upgrading turbo, tmic etc i won't gain much and they didn't want to play with the tune as it had proven to be reliable for the last 10 years

so reading all these comments about your bad experiences with them actually surprised me

Do they have a dedicated tuner their now?

9 hours ago, evowrx said:

Do they have a dedicated tuner their now?

Rob was the one that tuned it 10 years ago, and he was the one who monitored it this time, he has another guy there who did the pedal work etc, but you can't really argue with a tune that lasts 10 years

• Like 1