Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Average Torque Performance Tune?

Niran

Ramjet said:
Had 3 of my cars turned at TP. 99 sti V5 type R, V8 STI, XR6 turbo.

I have been really happy with the tunes.

When did you have those tunes done man? And do you recall who from there did the tuning?

So I just spoke to David from tune tech (aka old torque performance tuner). He said they had another tuner there (the aircraft technician who tuned the 233kw v8 well), who has apparently left as well. So that explains why the owner was doing the tunes, and therefore the difference in tune quality of mine vs the others that have posted their experiences.

I wouldn't say you didn't receive a quality tune in all fairness.

If he said your car was knocking then it was fair to not increase the boost, as with AFR (perhaps try BP 98 or Gull 98 as they don't tend to knock so much. BP preferably).

Your boost is a bit slower than it should be. It should be hitting 18 by 3,000 RPM at least. Is the restrictor pill still fitted?

The thing is your tune isn't terrible. You've got a smooth torque curve and stable boost. Also your boost is holding and tapering off where it should.

With that said I don't think its fair to blame the tuner for your cars performance. You need to remember a brand new Version 8 made 220kW at the flywheel, your getting 215kW at the wheels.

And also mine made 233kW because I spend a lot on it. All my parts where sourced from overseas and are the best you can get.

If you take it elsewhere I'm thinking you might get another 5-10kW (assuming its done on the same dyno) from cranking the boost.

Tehaviata said:

If he said your car was knocking then it was fair to not increase the boost, as with AFR (perhaps try BP 98 or Gull 98 as they don't tend to knock so much. BP preferably).

Your boost is a bit slower than it should be. It should be hitting 18 by 3,000 RPM at least. Is the restrictor pill still fitted?

The thing is your tune isn't terrible. You've got a smooth torque curve and stable boost. Also your boost is holding and tapering off where it should.

With that said I don't think its fair to blame the tuner for your cars performance. You need to remember a brand new Version 8 made 220kW at the flywheel, your getting 215kW at the wheels.

And also mine made 233kW because I spend a lot on it. All my parts where sourced from overseas and are the best you can get.

If you take it elsewhere I'm thinking you might get another 5-10kW (assuming its done on the same dyno) from cranking the boost.

Its actually not all that hard to tune a car. The reason you pay someone 1k- is to do a bloody good job of it. Sure pay a guy 500 for that tune but not 1k-.

Tehaviata said:

Agree with all your points bro. And yup pretty sure I removed the pill. Re ran all the tubes from turbo / waste gate and breather pipe with new ones. The feel of the car in power is worse than it was after the tune. That's why I'm not happy. It used to spool much quicker before the tune aye, and had no problems with knock before running higher boost.

Tehaviata said:
Sweet as, that's fair enough then. Did they give you a tune showing both before and after by any chance?

I'd be pretty keen to see what it was doing on its initial dyno run.

Na bro cos I had the 3 port installed, so they didn't do a before run aye.

Tehaviata said:

If he said your car was knocking then it was fair to not increase the boost, as with AFR (perhaps try BP 98 or Gull 98 as they don't tend to knock so much. BP preferably)

So was the car tuned on 95? would have a huge effect on ever aspect...

I've been forced to run Mobil 97.5 when BP ran out of 98 and you do feel the difference. In saying that it was 20 litres mixed with 20 litres of BP 98.

Didn't get any knock but my efficiency and performance wasn't quite as good.

Andy_Mac said:
No pills in mine. Should it be in the wastegate line? Tuner I used has done hundreds without apparently. Probably why I needed to add an extra half a metre of vac hose to get it to stop chattering.

Very interesting.. Mine chatters like crazy. Did so before and after 3-port aye

So had a chat with rob from torque. He was a bit peeved when I asked about his tuners leaving. Anyway, after telling him the differences in before an after and what. He happily refunded me the money because I wasn't happy. Which is a bloody awesome way of doing business. Good on em.

Hopefully will be getting a tune done at dtech on May 20th

Thanks all for all your feedback and responses. This is such a legit forum

So got the tune booked with Dtech for the 20th of next month. Now the waiting game :|

Rekon there's anything i should do while i wait? Rob from torque was saying the car was beginning to knock which is why he made the tune rich. But then again im not sure if that was because of his method of tuning. Maybe @kwi_fozze could elaborate after looking at the map?

He mentioned it could be one of the injectors limiting the motor, but he was not sure (i.e he didn't check).

Just want to make sure i do everything possible before i drive down to tauranga. Already done oil 5w30 fully synthetic (3 months ago - 1500kms on it) and step colder plugs, new air filter.