Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Time frame on respray and what colour.

Anyone have a rough idea on How long does it take to paint a car gc8, it has fibreglass body panels, I.e. Skirts, front and rear bumpers, front and rear guards, rest is metal. Car needs to be preped it's in good condition overall but only the outside of the car is being done. Bodykit has taken 2-3 months to complete.

Next problem is working out what colour to go?

evowrx said:
Pics or bust russ. Give gt refinishers a shout and see what they say.

It's not finished yet dude got at least another month probably. Gt refinishers, Are a waste of time, twice I contacted them for quotes, one to do custom bodywork but they basically Implied I can't afford it as it would take too long and they not really doing that sort of thing anymore or interested in doing it.

Painting it I got the impression they are too busy, so even if they can now, They can get stuffed, never using them. I was pretty surprised by their attitude, seems as soon as Subaru was mentioned they switched off and just weren't interested.

-BLKREX- said:
Good luck with the color choice. This did my head in so much. To the point I stayed with blue/carbon

Yep I know exactly what you mean, I've decided three times now, each time convinced it's right but I keep questioning it and going back to factory blue, which is where I am at the mow.

dmacnz']For a race car white is always a good colour. Easy to add graphics too!! Although I went with a Lexus blue.

White was one choice but I watched targa and basically every Subaru there was white, too common so discounted it.

[quote name='Scoobydoo said:

Matt black :D

Looks cheap usually but was also a choice but gone off it, satin black or blue was another but gone off them too. Keep seeing cars in the colour I like done poorly and I go off it.

From personal experience, refinishers will almost always focus on the smaller jobs to keep cashflow up; your car gets work done when time allows between regular prangs and bumper resprays. I'd expect a month or so.

Would personally do a blue Subaru in Lexus 8X1 Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0, but I'm a sucker for Lexus pearls. The only problem would be finding somebody able and willing to spray 4-stage...

Zenki']From personal experience, refinishers will almost always focus on the smaller jobs to keep cashflow up; your car gets work done when time allows between regular prangs and bumper resprays. I'd expect a month or so.

Would personally do a blue Subaru in Lexus 8X1 Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0, but I'm a sucker for Lexus pearls. The only problem would be finding somebody able and willing to spray 4-stage...

Cool Txs for reply, bodywork is in the same boat done in between other jobs no doubt. Will look into those colours thanks, been focusing around factory Mazda colours at the moment.

[quote name='evowrx said:

Personally i would stick with something basicish or easily mixed as its sure to catch a fence here and there.

No doubt it will get scratched as every time I take it to the track I spin it and hit gravel as I'm finding my limits or pushing them, it will only be a factory colour from some manufacturer, question is which one.

Technikhaus']Straight black, or white, can be a little boring, but also easy to touch up when required.

A bit too boring but should probably go that way.

[quote name='dmacnz said:

8U1. Or ultra sonic blue is what I used on my GC8. Awesome colour. Is what a blue should be.

I like the colour but it's a bit over the top for a race car and can't afford a 4 stage paint job as touch ups.

I'd stick with metallics, in that case.

Multiple stage paints are a pain to match, blending is virtually impossible so a "touch up" is likely to involve a whole body panel - which won't be the same color as the surrounding panels anyway.

Ok thanks, I will stick with metallic I'm hoping Mazda colours are mainly metallic only, and not some multiple stage paint.

Zenki']Anything with "pearl" or "mica" in the name is likely to be 3 or 4 stage.

Oh sh't the colour I am thinking about has mica in the name, that's not a good sign.

[quote name='Joker said:

stickers cover all sorts of sins... :P

It will have stickers on it, maybe just go one big one to cover it.

Jambun said:
Why not a vinyl wrap?

I have bought one and I did help my mate wrap his Subaru, it was at mega meet last year the satin grey legacy, it was a pain to do as the wrap was not 3m, so basically **** quality. Plus they don't do a colour I like, the one I bought has already been used on a Subaru in the uk and I've gone off it.