Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BM Legacy Lowering Springs

Hey guys,

Anyone lowered their BM /BR Legacy (Diesel)? I'm having trouble finding springs (just want to use OEM struts, no coilovers etc). No direct listings online, in fact cant find anything at all in NZ newer than BL / BP?

Being diesel engine I think finding a correct spring rate would be next to impossible too, what do you guys think would be closer in weight, the 2.0 or 2.5?(as the link below has different rates for sedan/wagon & 2.0/2.5).

I can import these http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/wattsu/item/prova-low-d-sp-3114x/ but would rather find something local NZ than importing.

I'd look at listings for a 3.6R, although out of your two options I'd go with the EJ20 (turbo, I assume). The EJ253s are probably the lightest out of all the 5th gen Legacy engine options.

Apparently late model WRX springs will fit BM/BR struts.

Zenki said:
BMG/BRG are much newer than the rest, so my guess is that that they revised the rates due to handling or ride quality issues.

Cheers Zenki, so what do you reckon I should go for, the 2.5 listing? Just worried I go thru all the hassle of getting them, fitting them etc, to find it sits too low one end or handles like a pile of crap, trying the educated approach to this but I'm still a bit confused!

Edited by Leighos
too much quote

Honestly unsure. Best starting point would be to find any info on factory spring rates for your car and work from there, if the rear is substantially stiffer than the front then you'd know which you need.

Would later models have different rear shocks? It might just be a case of the earlier model cars having shorter springs, which would require a much stiffer rate to prevent bottoming out.

EDIT: you'd probably end up with the 2.5 springs, I suspect the FA20DIT models have different suspension seeing as they're a separate trim level.

Edited by Zenki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those of you who may be interested or have a BM/BR (not just a diesel either), here is my Legacy after installing the H&R springs.

From what I've heard on other forums the rears take a good while to settle, so it looks a bit high for now, will see after a couple of weeks. Sorry not an awesome pic, the weather in the Waikato has been its typical crap.

tmp_13794-IMG_20160729_172930-152293228_

H&R's seem like quality products, these are made in Germany, shipped from Germany for just NZ$330!

Thats about half what I was quoted for a set of sloppy King Springs here in NZ.

http://www.tunershop.com/H_R__springs_Subaru_Legacy_Kombi_Typ_BM_BR_35mm_x200_230_233x_p924953_h44.html

They're stiff springs, not sure what I was thinking pairing them with the slushy old OEM dampers, so I've ordered as set of Konis (08-14 WRX fitment), the rears are a direct fit but the fronts are inserts - I'm looking for a set of donor struts now to install them in...

• 1 month later...

OK so I take it BM/BR's are not too popular right now, heck I remember being on here years ago when not many had BL/BP's, anyway I hope this helps someone in the future when it comes time to mod your floppy factory suspension.

The Konis with the H&R springs are awesome, perfect for the street (I still have to take my wife and daughter out in this car).

The rears go straight in:

tmp_22327-IMG_20160817_2221271950865809_

The fronts you have to cut your OEM dampers out and slide in the inserts:

tmp_22327-IMG_20160901_1319561952543052_

paint Koni yellow and pop a little Koni sticker on there (if you are fussy like me):

tmp_22327-IMG_20160902_121537565125694_z

All finished, nice drop and drives like a true sports sedan should:

tmp_22327-IMG_20160809_165706-310520427_

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Leighos said:

OK so I take it BM/BR's are not too popular right now, heck I remember being on here years ago when not many had BL/BP's, anyway I hope this helps someone in the future when it comes time to mod your floppy factory suspension.

The Konis with the H&R springs are awesome, perfect for the street (I still have to take my wife and daughter out in this car).

The rears go straight in:

The fronts you have to cut your OEM dampers out and slide in the inserts:

paint Koni yellow and pop a little Koni sticker on there (if you are fussy like me):

All finished, nice drop and drives like a true sports sedan should:

Looks good! How much did you pay for the Konis and from where if you don't mind? 

Cheers, got the fronts from George Stock for $380 (pair), they were out of rear so had to order off eBay, about 350 shipped, not bad when you consider how much OEM KYB replacements would cost - performance wise there is just no comparison.