Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Coilovers – BC vs D2 vs Yellowspeed - Winner is MCA

Had a brief look around the forum and the odd Google and have gathered some info but some real world experience and advice is always appreciated.

Application is Basic street use with the occasional track day and the desire to have hight and ride adjustments.

· What have you/are you running?

· Known issues with each brand?

“I hear Yellowspeed has a better top mount bearing design preventing knocking and are a harder wearing unit in that regard” “also hear BC have a reputation for failing top mounts and knocking etc” “ have next to no info on D2 apart from that they are purple"

Any compelling reason I should forget the lot and fork out another k or so to get something more reputable for what im doing?

Edited by A_J_T

I have run cuscos, annoying they dont have dampening adjustment but i find them really good on track and a bit hard on street. I know alot of guys using BC golds and have not had issues with them. They do have alot of adjustment if you wanting to switch between setups for track and street

I have d2's in my wagon currently. They are black with little bits of purple :P I have nothing to complain about. They are on the softest setting and it's very nice to drive on not harsh at all - no knocks or anything weird.

Only issue is - I want more low but the rears literally cant go any lower.

I used d2's in my last sti also and never had any issues

Oh and i wouldn't bother buying second hand - buy brand new

How much are all the options you are looking at? Personally, there is no better value for money suspension than the MCA Blue/X/Red series and you know you are getting a QUALITY product.

The MCA Blue series will be fine for what you want and will most likely come in around the same price as BC/D2. If you want to step up a little more, then the X Series has few extra features and higher end valving (specific to what discipline you require), then there is the Red Series which is for more race specific applications.

Check them out: http://www.mcasuspension.com/, and drop them an email with any questions. Josh & Luke are super helpful - plus the aussie vs NZ dollar is pretty good currently.

• Like 2

Pretty sure the D2's float around the $1200 mark and BC Golds the $1600 region.

Been tossing up between the two myself cause a $400 difference is reasonably substantial... but if the D2's aren't as 'gooder' product then I'll happily save the extra for something better quality.

A_J_T said:
Did you pickup your D2's from Scarles Andrew? they are basically the same as BC golds yea, same hight and dampening abilities?

First set was brand new from scarles (think I paid $1100 on special at the time) - the second set what a brand new set being sold privately for a steal (the knob selling them purchased a set of d2's for his car then realized the car already had adjusties lol)

Yes they have full adjustment - spring tension, dampers and ride height obviously plus camber plates up front

Stock Outback rear suspension vs d2 shocks for a legacy

20150807_201403_zpsnsgygu0n.jpg

Rear d2 for GC/GF

20141029_120211_zpsthdqovtw.jpg

Front d2 for GC/GF

20141029_120205_zpsqqojpjks.jpg

I thought I had some pics comparing d2 to BC but I cant find them

I have BC Golds in mine, they can go really low if you want them too! pretty solid ride though but i have mine set to hard rather than soft as i have wide rims on my car....and definitely buy brand new especially when coming to get a cert for the car to make it legal.

Cheers Tony, Have emailed the team at MCA. i wasn't even aware they existed so pretty keen on a local product even if it costs a little extra.

Still keen on hearing more about the Yellowspeeds. appear to be very similar as D2 and BC, made in Taiwan etc but some good feedback on some UK/US forums about them.

Everyone i talked to when i was concidering said BC... they have proven to be pretty good at a good price. D2 gen 1 are the pits, piss oil and knock like crazy (had a few mates with em), apparently the new, gen 2 are way better and are made with quality internals similar to those in BC but assembled in chang land. Rapid talk wonders about the gen 2... then again they are the south island rep...

Tein and cusco are similar price arent they?

• Like 1

• Admin
 hunter951 said:
Everyone i talked to when i was concidering said BC... they have proven to be pretty good at a good price. D2 gen 1 are the pits, piss oil and knock like crazy (had a few mates with em), apparently the new, gen 2 are way better and are made with quality internals similar to those in BC but assembled in chang land. Rapid talk wonders about the gen 2... then again they are the south island rep...

Tein and cusco are similar price arent they?

I wouldn't bother with bottom-of-the-range Tein and Cusco, you'll be lucky if it's clevis adjustable (especially in the Teins) so no height adjustment without buggering the spring rate. Cuscos probably really firm and no damper adjustment based on the ones I've experienced. You pay a lot for the names.

Seriously though, get the MCAs. Seems like a complete no-brainer.

Chur, some convincing testimonies cheers,

Just waiting on MCA to get back to me with cost delivered. if too pricey once landed ill probably end up with either BC or Yellowspeed. still silence on the Yellowspeed gear, has anyone ever run them?

I've run BC golds and XYZ. Both are pretty good quality in my experience. I had the bcs for about 50,000 kms in my forester, I loved them. I have xyz's in my RA race car and my legacy, the dampening range doesnt seem to be as large as the BC's but are fine if you are running the same spring rates all the time (which i guess you would be)

• Admin
 A_J_T said:
MCA Blue series 8kg front 7kg rear $1580NZD Landed.

thoughts on spring rates, above is the recommended from MCA.

Spring rate seems quite firm but will depend hugely on how the dampers are set up.

That's a bargain, $85 more than BCs, I've said it before but it seems like a complete no-brainer.

• Admin

Has anyone used the OZ racing / BC Racing suspension before? I've got them in my RA, which are virtually brand new (about 5000km on em)to fit the new suspension that went into my v5.10. I'm asking because I've had all of about 1 hours worth of driving in the car and nothing spirited haha.

EDIT: OZ Racing is the NZ company owned by Dodson Motorsport

boon said:
That's a bargain, $85 more than BCs, I've said it before but it seems like a complete no-brainer.

Yea im about to commit to it and get some sent over but suspension in cars is all new to me so wanting to make sure i get all the facts before going for them.

Email communication with MCA below. Thoughts thoughts people who know.

Sounds intelligent but i don't want to be baited into buying a product thats worse.

Last question Josh, does the Blue series you are recommending have plenty of height adjustability without effecting spring tension?

Cheers,

The whole "spring preload effects how a car handles" is actually rubbish, and just goes to prove how much the other brands either know or care about what they are doing. A linear spring rate is not adjustable, it is a constant. No matter how compressed it is, it is still the same spring rate it was when it was fully extended. And given that the same amount of weight (the cars weight) is put on the spring, it compresses to the same point every time, no matter if you preloaded it, left it captive, or had the spring loose when you installed them.

So my shocks have plenty of height adjustment, but how it effects the spring tension is of no concern. So with my shocks you actually don't move the bottom mount to adjust height, you only adjust the spring seats up and down. Much quicker and easier.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Regards

Josh