Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Coilovers – BC vs D2 vs Yellowspeed - Winner is MCA

Spring rate is a function of thickness, diameter and number of free coils. I believe he's right in saying preload does nothing to the rate; unless it is compressed so much that you reduce the number of free coils (ie: some of them are touching). In saying that, I'm no kind of expert.

Honestly, Josh & his Dad know what they're talking about (they have a LOT of combined experience in suspension/motorsport set-up etc). I also questioned the spring set-up when I was looking into new suspension. I ended up running my car according to his recommendation/settings - all I can say is the car is amazing now. So much so, that I actually dropped 0.7 of a second off my previous PB lap time at my home track with the suspension being the only change made to the car since the last time I drove it at that track. The car pretty much felt effortless to drive, and a lot more compliant than it was previously. My data logs confirm the gains at certain corners when compared to previous sessions.

A lot of people kept telling me that having proper (race spec) suspension in the car is worth as much as a second off lap times and I didn't quite believe that at first, but I can verify that now :)

So basically, what I am saying is to trust what Josh recommends - as it has worked for me.

• 2 months later...

This might be too late but I have yellow speed super lows. Most comfortable coilovers I've had, had 4 cars on them. They go the lowest, easy to adjust, and seem pretty good quality, have done around 40,000km on them so far. Cheap too. I got mine for $1200

pedro said:
Did this deal go ahead ??

Yea sorry for the fail update.

Ordering them and dealing with the lads at MCA was a breeze. Dealing with NZ customs was not however.

In the end the grand total came to: $1889 customs charged $289gst and coilovers were 1600 including shipping. They arrived in NZ nice and quick but then customs basically lost them in the corner of their office for 3 weeks.

Just installed them a week ago, super happy with the build quality and informative information packaged with them and the fact that they have a spring and damper rate setup specifically for the BE5 chassis is comforting.

They ride extremely well, super polite ride, not too aggressive but when you toss it into a corner it just sits and hugs rather than body rolling like a pig on stock struts. super happy and at the end of the day if i was to do it again i probably would. disappointing about customs charges becasue without them they are an amazing price. we need someone who imports and supplies these in NZ.

i'm still keen to know what BCs or YSs would be like cause i hear they are also respectable. if i was after some new suspension and just wanted to lower the car i would probably just go for BCs or YSs due to price but with performance in mind MCA seem to know whats up.

ill update my garage thread with some more info once i've had a chance to get some pics of how the car is sitting now and some more info on the install but below is some pics for those of you who dont like reading.

16A0C510-5CFB-4B04-9A88-77DED0C8A912_zps

FEA9581B-1B9E-411C-8BA0-A8B17E5EA752_zps

E2FBD517-0DE7-49E9-B945-600D9B5769C7_zps

without. stealth option everything is black. Saw the stealth option on insta couple days after i ordered haha but the only thing you see is top hats so no point. all top hats are black on the MCA range with the exception of the golds

mca-stealth.jpg?t=1460540710

Edited by A_J_T

• 2 months later...

Thanks for putting up all the detail. I take it this is for a road use only car?

Did they make any suggestions for changes to use these on the track? Or did they suggest replacing springs to use on track as those spring rates are a bit soft for track I would assume?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 11:30 AM, Munkvy said:

Thanks for putting up all the detail. I take it this is for a road use only car?

Did they make any suggestions for changes to use these on the track? Or did they suggest replacing springs to use on track as those spring rates are a bit soft for track I would assume?

Yea if it was a track setup there would be considerable difference, this is my daily so the focus was round having good performance for the spirited drives and occasional track days but comfort also. always best to have a chat to Josh personally to get a good idea of their knowledge. 

This is more a testimony to what you get when you order something from them rather than information you can use yourself. 

On 11/4/2016 at 11:41 AM, loner said:

355mm/345mm is very high. 

Hella high, mine sits a lot lower than their recommended dw haha which no doubt defeats some of the comfort they could provide if i ran the hight they recommended

Edited by A_J_T

I got a set of MCA X-R reds, height and damper adjustable recently after a recommendation from Adrian, a Nissan guy. The MCA guys were super helpful and provided a setup for what i wanted, which was street sprints and occasional gravel sprints. I got it corner weighted and really like the feel.

• Like 2