Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

4th Gen boost capability

ZeroNZ

Hey guys, my partner and I are going to be looking for a newer car soon and have considered a 4th Gen Legacy (twin turbo).

We currently have a 1999 BE5 and like the size of it, but want a bit more power.

If I rebuild the engine and run better headgaskets (with same compression), can I up the boost on the engine and expect some semblance of reliability? Or would it be simpler to run a WRX engine with the single turbo?

Anything considered at the moment as I have a Skyline for weekend work so not searching for massive power. Cheers guys.

• Admin

They have a twin scroll single turbo.

You talking about running more boost in the 99 Legacy or a newer one if you get one? Not alot that can be done to the 99 model. If it was a rev D 00/01 then there is alot more flexability in what could be done to it as the ECU is easily tunable.

• Admin

Easy as to get more boost into the 4h gen. Can easily get 17-18psi with everythhing else stock before knock becomes an issue. Typically get 160-170kw with just a downpipe/decat and tune

Just stay away from prefacelift auto models as the turbo's in those **** the bed almost always.

Hey guys,

thanks for all the replies, it's good to know that I can up the boost a bit. Recommended ways of doing it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm used to working on my Skyline and Subarus are a little foreign to me in terms of engine strength for modifications.

So to get a fair bit of power, in short; down pipe, freer flowing exhaust, and up the boost a little? Would it be best for a reflash of the ECU?

• Admin

Yea boost taps and boost controllers don't really work for these cars. Need a decent tune to get the whole lot dialled in and not just the boost.

Downpipes are also pretty damn expensive for these cars, unless getting the subtech one. My car kinda shows you can get roughly the same results from just decatting the downpipe rather than spending $500-1500 on a downpipe. Heaps of good info on here and liberty.asn.au if you want to do some reading to get a bit more familiar with what can be done to these cars.

Sorry about the muddling there, didn't mean to confuse anyone :D

Are there any recommended methods of reflashing? I think my local tuner (STM) does something with them, but I'm not too keen on them as I had some issues when I put a Link in my Skyline.

I've had a look on TradeMe for some decent ones and I'm also looking at Japan for importing one. Anything in particular to look for other than the basics with cars like service history?

Cheers guys

Hey mate,

Going from a 99 to a 03 in terms of power stock for stock there's really nothing in it. In my opinion the 99's have better low end and top end power, but the 03's have a lot better mid range (unfortunately they die above about 6000rpm).

As everyones said here, a decent exhaust (catless) and a tune should net you some decent gains. 3 port electronic boost contorl solenoid is a good one aswell for ease of tuning and more accurate boost pressures.

Unfortunately for you and me, STM are the only "Reputable" tuners around our area. Unless you want to spend hours driving to Auckland or Hamilton to go to somewhere like Dtech or E&H for a tune then you're **** out of luck. I took mine to STM to get tuned and they've done good for the most part (This was back when Chris was tuning) and will be taking it back to them again after the fuel system goes in.

Goodluck with the buy, they're really nice cars!

knockoutgiant said:
Hey mate,

Going from a 99 to a 03 in terms of power stock for stock there's really nothing in it. In my opinion the 99's have better low end and top end power, but the 03's have a lot better mid range (unfortunately they die above about 6000rpm).

As everyones said here, a decent exhaust (catless) and a tune should net you some decent gains. 3 port electronic boost contorl solenoid is a good one aswell for ease of tuning and more accurate boost pressures.

Unfortunately for you and me, STM are the only "Reputable" tuners around our area. Unless you want to spend hours driving to Auckland or Hamilton to go to somewhere like Dtech or E&H for a tune then you're **** out of luck. I took mine to STM to get tuned and they've done good for the most part (This was back when Chris was tuning) and will be taking it back to them again after the fuel system goes in.

Goodluck with the buy, they're really nice cars!

Hey yeah I figured there wouldn't be too much of a difference apart from the way boost is delivered, and it will be good to be able to check everything as I am am training to be an auto electrician (year 2) so I can get some practice if something goes wrong lol.

I went to STM when Andre had just left and was sorting out HPA, and when I picked up the car there was a misfire which I couldn't pin point to any specific condition. I took it back to work and put it on a hoist (I worked at Nissan at the time) and inspected the spark plugs and found that one had been dropped or something as a huge chunk of the ceramic insulator was missing and it was tracking up the coil pack and to the head, and whoever had done it had just wrapped the plug in electrical tape and put it in. Replaced the plug and it was OK, but not as good as I had hoped though having an aftermarket ECU wired in and paying almost 4k for it. Just leaves me hesitant to go back there, not trying to scare people off or anything as I have heard really good things about them too.

All I'll be likely to do with the car is a freer flowing exhaust, a better fuel pump and a flash of the ECU. I've got an old (4 years) GFB electronic boost controller that I might put in too as it's still sitting in the Skyline and only displaying the boost pressure as the Link controls the boost levels now.

Cheers guys

• Admin

Don't bother with the GFB controller. The ECU is rather involved in these cars and will see any boost change from expectedto be a fault and will either through a CEL or pull the boost back down itself if it can.

Sure Kwi_Fozze can explain it all in detail better than me.