Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP Legacy - stereo/air-con panel replacement

RAYDEO

• Admin

Hey team, has anyone come up with a reasonably priced solution to the "I can't replace my headunit because it's integrated with the aircon" issue?

13620951_10153928923468495_8910447267440

Ive seen replacement panels on Trademe for $659 but that's a bit steep.

Edited by RAYDEO

• Admin

I see Strong for Subaru have one for a Rev. D - however this has the duel zone climate control, which does not work with a Rev. B setup.

reasonable price though... a good option for some one with the later revision legacy.

GC8E2DD said:
That is sobanoodle isn't it? Thing is, if you have the black Macintosh facia, you only really want the top part, and you want it in black =\

... and the problem is that Subaru never produced one in pre-facelift black (gloss), only silver or facelift matt black and I do not really get why - you'd only really need the top bit separately if you have a McIntosh which is BLACK :D

I've done a bit of research on that since our heated discussion on here :D

I am looking to upgrade my stereo too, i believe we may have the same challenges.

cXhZO9um.jpg

apologies for amount of dust covering my dash, this was pre-clean i promise.

I am wondering if i were to buy a conversion like above, assuming the seperated AC Panel will use a seperate connecter to the stereo, will i be able to plug the speaker loom straight into my aftermarket headunit and expect it to work?

Or does it get messy in separating the wires and figuring the pinouts.

Ajayy said:
I am looking to upgrade my stereo too, i believe we may have the same challenges.

cXhZO9um.jpg

I am wondering if i were to buy a conversion like above, assuming the seperated AC Panel will use a seperate connecter to the stereo, will i be able to plug the speaker loom straight into my aftermarket headunit and expect it to work?

Do these ones run an amp/sub/crossover setup like the McIntosh jobbies or just a standalone headunit?

Have only dealt with the McIntosh one before but here's my aftermarket headunit conversion to retain the factory speaker/amp install if it helps?

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?48404-Guitar_Guy-s-2004-Legacy-McIntosh-Stereo-Hack-Pic-Heavy

• Admin
 Ajayy said:

cXhZO9um.jpg

yes you're in an identicle position as I am, however I called Stewart at Strong for Subaru and told him what I wanted, 3 days later he rang me back saying the stereo surround and separate AC control just came in stock and did I want it?

needless to say I jumped on it and it cost me far less than a new one or one off Trademe.

A+ would trade again

will follow with pics once installed.

and no these basic factory units have a harness with plug on them for each unit (stereo and AC) and don't sun an amp.

and as sobanoodle said, if you get the adapter plugs they're easy as f**k. that said I still like to get the soldering iron out.

sobanoodle said:
Kenwoods are really easy - just get Subaru to ISO and ISO to Pioneer/Sony/JVC/whatever harnesses (think they're about $9 on TM) and the whole swap becomes plug'n'play.

I got one of the new carplay units the Kenwood DDX9016DABS, and Kenwood have changed the harness to a longer single plug with 20 pins instead of the 16 on all the ISO harnesses. The 20pin harness that comes with the stereo has bare wires for connection to vehicle harness.

So I just got a 20 pin Subaru ISO Harness, and will cut of the ISO end and wire it up. But I cannot find the following pins on the Subaru harness, Steering remote gnd, steering remote input 1, steering remote input 2. Reverse, and parking sw, any idea where these are on the radio wiring harness in the legacy?

I have a 2006 BL Legacy, which had a Kenwood GX-204JE factory unit, which has steering wheel remote.

I am using this site for a wiring diagram, but it also doesn't list the above missing wires.

http://ae64.com/Legacy-pinout.htm

Edited by jabz

• Admin

Dunno about the remote input or where to steal a reverse signal from, but for the parking and remote ground you should be able to just connect them to ground anywhere. Did that with mine, albeit an Alpine one, so not fully sure if the Kenwood parking switch is just wanting to see the circuit grounded but can't hurt to try.

You'd need an adapter for the steering wheel buttons to work, not really a plug'n'play scenario at all.

Reverse gear signal wire is found in the passenger foot well, don't remember what colour it was (needed it for a reverse camera). And I think I also just grounded the parking wire and it worked. Been a while :)

sobanoodle said:
You'd need an adapter for the steering wheel buttons to work, not really a plug'n'play scenario at all.

Reverse gear signal wire is found in the passenger foot well, don't remember what colour it was (needed it for a reverse camera). And I think I also just grounded the parking wire and it worked. Been a while :)

Thanks, you don't need the adapter anymore with the new Kenwood units, just need to locate the 3 SWC wires and connect them up. The Kenwood has a learning function for the the steering buttons.

I think this link shows where these are on the Subaru radio loom?

http://www.kenwood.com/nz/car/visual_navigation/oem/

So the Aeropro APP090 http://aerpro.com/app090 Subaru to ISO harness I got is the wrong type, I think I need the APP091 http://aerpro.com/app091

thanks..

Edited by jabz

• 1 year later...

Searched.  Jumping on this thread.. do you think this will fit?  https://www.seicane.com/hd-rotatable-touchscreen-android-2-din-universal-gps-navigation-bluetooth-car-audio-system-support-mirror-link-4g-wifi-backup-camera-dvr-dab-steering-wheel-control-s181016

Just wondering with the hump in our dash above the stereo... this stereo, the top of the screen goes past the 2DIN hole.  The website has all the other dimensions but not the mount dimensions 

1-hd-touch-screen-car-audio-_S181016_05.

So I found and clipped this shot from one of the few youtube videos of this stereo .. I just cant see where it over hangs the top or the bottom of the 2DIN.. this shot looks like its the bottom that overhangs

sideradio.jpg

sidedash.jpg

Edited by killervq30de

11 hours ago, ADIKT said:

Where are you installing it? Are you putting it in place of the factory stereo? It might block your hazard light switch 

Edit: to me it looks like it would fit with no issues

Yep, I got the dash kit.  I think it will stick out enough and it can rotate.. So main concern is clearing top of dash.  I can fish for hazard.