Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2006 legacy transmission whining when cold

Norman1nz

Hey guys. My cars been making this whining noise whenever its cold and I pop it between neutral, drive and sometimes when accelerating to and from standstill..

Have had a couple of mechanics try to replicate it but they don't know..

Yesterday I found driving up a hill 1 minute after starting, it was really struggling like it was misfiring or out of gas (its a turbo and tank half full of 95).. fuel consumption at this time was about 1 kilometre per litre just trying to cruise up at 50 kph..

Ideas?

• General Member

amen trying to run / get power from a Turbo Subaru on 95 is worse than driving with the handbrake on

it will be pinging like nuts & the ECU will be detuning / learning the ****ty fuel

cant help with tranny, Automatic I have to assume?

That's a bit of a problem then as I'm in Whangarei and Gull, slightly out of town, with force10 is the only option over 95 octane...!!

Yes auto.. :-(

It does seem to really suck the gas in general.. Driving at maximum nana style with or without i-drive ECO mode, i seem to avg about 8km/l... Wouldn't mind if it had some decent power or I was using it's power now and again..

So..

Would a retune - maybe along with a larger downpipe / cat removed, help get better power / efficiency - ideally even let it run better on 95 at all??

• Admin

95 is fine as long as its tuned for it. Won't see the same power as with 98 but shouldn't ever be seriously lacking with daily duties, and may get marginally better fuel economy depending on how you drive.

Unless you're really interested in getting more power, just get an e-tune done and change the tranny fluid as its probably cooked. Decat is an easy way to get some power. Is yours a facelift model or not?

Edited by Andy_Mac

Thanks Andy... Yeah I'd honestly be more keen on getting more economy than power but if removing the cat would be an easy improvement to efficiency and need an etune afterwards I guess I should do this all at once..

Its a face-lift n has done 160k so guess I'll try the tranny fluid..

Any idea what the lurching up a mild hill when cold could be?

there was a "PAK File" update done for these, that helped out a lot with lurchy gearboxes and thumping between gears. if you get the car in to a subaru authorised workshop, they can do the pak file update at the same time as the oils etc.

i got my 3.0r done through highbrook (yeah i know, not helpful as its not whangarei) took best part of a day to get it all done. used more atf as the gearbox hadnt been serviced in a LONG time, got front and rear dif oils done as well and the pak file done.

most expensive part was the atf, went through 14 litres to flush the system, it was so full of crud, and christ ATF is spendy.

drove like a totally different car after the service though, smooth power, less lurching when cold, buttery smooth shifting

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys..

I had sublab take a look at it and they said the main problem was the AF sensor behind the turbo not doing a thing.. Suggested a secondhand or aftermarket one might have issues or not work but a new one is $575 :eek:

They didn't mention anything about flushing the tranny either

Norman1nz said:
Hey guys..

I had sublab take a look at it and they said the main problem was the AF sensor behind the turbo not doing a thing.. Suggested a secondhand or aftermarket one might have issues or not work but a new one is $575 :eek:

They didn't mention anything about flushing the tranny either

Buy the sensor from partuoq and save some money

Cool keen to save some $$ on partsouq but not sure how to order it. Do I need to poke under my car and try find the part number on the AF Sensor itself?

Also had the air filter replaced and AF Meter cleaned so hoping this makes half as much different as I'm told..

• Admin

Probably easier to just get into the vehicle finder tab on partsouq and chuck in your chassis number. Thats how I find all the parts I need from on there. it'll be Bxx-xxxxxx with the set of 6 digits being all numbers.

Alternatively, i'm sure someone knows the part number already

Edited by Andy_Mac

I've been driving over a week with new airfilter replaced by sublab but this seems to have reduced my economy (they thought this would improve it) from 8.5km/litre to around 7.7km - hopefully the AF ratio sensor sorts it out

Had a look through those opposed forces diagrams but couldn't find where this sensor would be..

Any other ideas where else I could track down the part number?

On another note - do you think I could get a replacement smart key for push start from partsouk :-)