Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What ECU is out of a NON STI WRX v3/4??

I am looking for a standard WRX ECU out of a v3/4 as I need one for my single turbo conversion on my ej20h and was wondering what code or name they had. I am aware of 6k and Z4 but I'm 99% sure they are STI.

Need a standard v3/4 WRX one as I am keeping grey injectors and blue AFM .

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

• General Member

bit of a list is contained in the Mega FAQ thread somewhere : ClubSub Technical MEGA FAQ *Beta*

and to be more specific here's the lists in there

one of those should have what you want :D

Thanks heaps Joker!

I found this on here

Z4 - 1995/1996 WRX – SAME AS SC- 12.7PSI (0.9BAR), DROPPING TO 11.7PSI (0.8BAR) @ 6600RPM

- FUEL CUT 15.65PSI (1.08BAR) - 260PS (256 BHP) – 7250RPM

Does this mean the Z4 ECU is a standard WRX ECU out of a V3/4?

okay cool cause im just having a little difficulty trying to find what ECU code is out of the V3/4 WRX.

If v3/4 is 97-98 then the Z4 ECU must be a v1/2.

But I was told 95-96 are the v3/4?

If thats correct then the V3/4 ECUs must be these ones right?

Classic import- (saloon) 97-98

IS ECU code = 440cc injectors, 280ps VF22 turbo

6S ECU code = 440cc injectors, 300ps VF23 turbo

75 ECU code = 440cc injectors, 280ps VF24 turbo

But I was told standard v3/4 WRX ECU's run on grey injectors and blue AFM but the list above says they run on 440cc injectors which are yellows?

Edited by legacygt95

legacygt95 said:
okay cool cause im just having a little difficulty trying to find what ECU code is out of the V3/4 WRX.

If v3/4 is 97-98 then the Z4 ECU must be a v1/2.

But I was told 95-96 are the v3/4?

If thats correct then the V3/4 ECUs must be these ones right?

Classic import- (saloon) 97-98

IS ECU code = 440cc injectors, 280ps VF22 turbo

6S ECU code = 440cc injectors, 300ps VF23 turbo

75 ECU code = 440cc injectors, 280ps VF24 turbo

But I was told standard v3/4 WRX ECU's run on grey injectors and blue AFM but the list above says they run on 440cc injectors which are yellows?

The WRXs that ran greys and a purple AFM were the non-STi wagons and used a 2S ECU.

Note the compression ratio on these was higher at 9:0:1.

Timmah said:
The WRXs that ran greys and a purple AFM were the non-STi wagons and used a 2S ECU.

Note the compression ratio on these was higher at 9:0:1.

Spot on Tim, also:

Version 3 WRX:

Sedan EJ20K ran a 1S ECU, orange, yellows, 8.0:1CR vf22

Wagon EJ20G ran a 2S ECU, purple, greys, 9.0:1CR TD04

Auto -- EJ20G ran a 3S ECU, purple, greys, 9.0:1CR TD04

STI ---- EJ20K ran a 6S ECU, orange, yellows, 8.0:1CR VF23 (P20) -- (camshaft profile change v3/4 STI)

Version 4 WRX:

Sedan EJ20K ran a 88 ECU, orange, yellows, 8.0:1CR VF24 (VF23/P18)

Wagon EJ20G ran a 89 ECU, purple, greys, 9.0:1CR TD04 (89/8Z ECU p/n 22611AD730)

Auto -- EJ20G ran a 8Z ECU, purple, greys, 9.0:1CR TD04 (89/8Z ECU p/n 22611AD730)

STI ---- EJ20K ran a 75 ECU, orange, yellows, 8.0:1CR VF24 -- (camshaft profile change V3/4 STI)

CR_chart.jpg

Edited by Rosssub
  • Like 1

I have acquired a 2s ECU along with a adapter so connect the 4 plug into the 3 plug 2s ECU. But apparently the compression ratio on the ej20g it came from has compression of 8:1 and the ej20h I have now has compression 9:1 so would there be an issue? It's single turbo converted with a VF29 but don't know if the ecu would be agressive enough as its non Sti 

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:56 PM, legacygt95 said:

I found a 2S ECU out of a standard WRX version 3 which I am getting an adapter made to plug and play and I was told that the version 3/4 run blue afm and greys so could anyone clear this up?

As above the JDM 2S EJ20G Version 3 WRX GF8 (wagon) runs a purple AFM and grey injectors, with CR at 9.0:1.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 1:13 PM, legacygt95 said:

I have acquired a 2s ECU along with a adapter so connect the 4 plug into the 3 plug 2s ECU. But apparently the compression ratio on the ej20g it came from has compression of 8:1 and the ej20h I have now has compression 9:1 so would there be an issue? It's single turbo converted with a VF29 but don't know if the ecu would be agressive enough as its non Sti 

You'll see in the chart I posted above that your EJ20H 95GT (OEM blue AFM) runs CR at 8.5:1. Some have had ok results with a slightly different CR engine-ECU, some have not. The WRX 2S ECU is set up to run a TD04, so changing to a VF29 you will need aftermarket boost control, MBC or EBC. IIRC you will also need to change your TPS, MAP sensor and ignition coil wiring.

After comparing JDM AFM loom plug pics, part numbers, engine wiring diagrams and ECU pinouts the above ECU/AFM information is correct.

The Version 1/2 WRX/STI EJ20G and BD/BG5A EJ20H with a four plug ECU use a 5 pin AFM. The JDM 5 pin AFM options are blue and green. (some models only use 4/5 wires)

22680AA200 Blue Label --- 5 pin AFM loom plug - EJ20H

22680AA160 Green Label - 5 pin AFM loom plug - EJ20G

The Version 3/4 WRX/STI and BD/BG5B-C with a three plug ECU (auto single plug ECU), use a 3 pin AFM. The JDM 3 pin AFM options are purple and orange.

22680AA280 Purple Label -- 3 pin AFM loom plug - V3/4 WRX wagon EJ20G & BG5B-C EJ20H

22680AA271 Orange Label - 3 pin AFM loom plug - V3/4 WRX/STI EJ20K & BG5B-C EJ20R

Although the 5 wire blue/green and 3 wire purple/orange AFM could probably be interchanged/rewired, they have different housing pipe diameters, so will have different airflow/voltages. Below is the JDM Version 3 2S EJ20G WRX purple AFM, beside a JDM Version 3 1S EJ20K WRX orange AFM:

Maf004.jpg

For the best results fit a 3 plug 6S or 75 V3/4 STI ECU, yellow injectors and an orange AFM. The same amount of work for a stronger engine, more air flow, more fuel, more boost and a higher boost cut.

• Like 1

I have already bought the 2S and getting adapter sent to me already so I cant really get STI ECU now maybe further in the future.

Im just sticking to 2S ECU with the grey injectors as the adapter will do most of the hard work for me. WIth this setup im guessing I have to use the purple AFM then? 

Would I have to change anything else when ive installed the new ECU and AFM? 

I already have a after market boost controller on the vf29 but its just on stock 10psi

And wouldnt having a lower compression ratio engine compared to the compression on the ECU be better as lower compression is meant to handle more boost?

ANd thats the reason I dont want to change to 6S ecu as I dont want to change injectors which is a very annoying job rather just easily install the ecu and afm and be away,.

Lowering the CR without tuning will cause the engine to loose torque and efficiency. Adding more boost (if you can) may compensate slightly while on boost, but the timing will be off throughout all engine loads. Start up, idle, cruise, medium load and even throttle response will all be effected. Less power, less fuel efficient and less off boost driveability.

Unfortunately the conversion you're taking on is not as simple as installing an adapter loom, AFM and ECU. The 4 plug ECU grounds most engine sensor shields and some grounds through the ECU itself. The newer 3 plug ECU grounds these sensors/shields directly to the engine block. You will need to alter the earth/shield wiring and IIRC also run a dedicated ground for the AFM. All the 4 plug to 3 plug conversion wiring documentation is covered in here:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/9962-update-4-plug-tt-legacy-to-3-plug-wrx-ecu-conversion/

Then more info in here:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/43394-ecu-repinswap/

If using a V1/2 WRX ECU you would need to change the TPS. The earlier TPS output voltages are reversed and it has an idle switch with an extra wire to the ECU.

the automotive sparky making me the adapater said the only thing i might have to change is the plug to the AFM as the purple and blue afm have different plugs. but other than that he told me everything is matched up at the ECU to do its thing. 

For now ill install the V3 WRX ECU, purple AFM and see where that takes me. 

It looks like the earthing has already been mofified in the engine bay but if I still have problems I will just get a call out auto sparky who said he could finish it off if i needed.