Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dash fading with white colour

jabz

23 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Hmmm.. you actually tried that stuff? Alot of the more hardout options make it worse than nothing at all

yup use it on my bc legacy , ill do a before and after for you guys, it works very well. Also used it on like that plastic bonnet vent strip between like windshield and top of bonnet came up like new. It leaves a residue and you end up needing quite a lot of product to get it that dark black again

On 11/2/2016 at 2:37 PM, romeyromes said:

Took the plunge and bought a second hand dash from Strong for Subaru. Going to install it this weekend with my mate who's a mechanic. Will probs take 5-6 hours

Do you mind if I ask what they charged?

Looking at few second hand cars with banged up dashes so wondering what the cost to replace would be...

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently discovered that my '07 JDM 2.0GT wagon has this issue after importing it recently and believing the residue to be some form of adhesive from a dash carpet. Rather frustrating to learn that Subaru NZ (and those across the ditch) have failed to acknowledge it as a serious fault. 

On 06/10/2016 at 0:19 PM, jabz said:

Thanks might try it out, I haven't used anything yet. Do you use it? 

I was trying to get Subaru NZ to atleast acknowledge an issue, however they stated since mine is a JDM no wty here.  

Fair enough however they are the Subaru/FHI representative for NZ, so SHOULD be able to get something out of FHI Japan in terms of atleast a response, or next steps etc, but so far I've been brick walled.  

I'd probably even be willing to pay between ($500-$1000)  for a replacement dash if Subaru even came to the party with a discounted offer.

An old friend of mine works at the Subaru NZ head office and I've touched based to find out what course of action we can take. If this proceeds any further, I'm more than happy to help facilitate a 'group claim' type scenario and the more evidence we can put together to push the matter the better.

Would anyone like to help with this?

Edited by Chase
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 10:11 AM, willisnz said:

Do you mind if I ask what they charged?

Looking at few second hand cars with banged up dashes so wondering what the cost to replace would be...

Sorry for the late response.

$450 for the dash with the macintosh speaker in the middle IF in immaculate condition.

Mine had a minor scratch/crack, so I got it for $250.

So stoked to have this done in time before summer. I've travelled some serious k's so far this summer and sticky glaring dash wouldve been a real pain

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 10:11 PM, Chase said:

I've recently discovered that my '07 JDM 2.0GT wagon has this issue after importing it recently and believing the residue to be some form of adhesive from a dash carpet. Rather frustrating to learn that Subaru NZ (and those across the ditch) have failed to acknowledge it as a serious fault. 

An old friend of mine works at the Subaru NZ head office and I've touched based to find out what course of action we can take. If this proceeds any further, I'm more than happy to help facilitate a 'group claim' type scenario and the more evidence we can put together to push the matter the better.

Would anyone like to help with this?

The issue is not an adhesive, solvent, cleaning agent etc that anyone has used.  The simple fact is, there is an issue with the plastics that FHI Subaru has used for the Dash, and that plastic is breaking down over time.   It will show up as a white cloudy colour film over various parts of the dash, then when left in the sun this film will melt and make the dash sticky.  No amount of cleaning it will work, it may delay it, i.e. you won't see it for a couple of weeks, however it will come back since its the plastic breaking down.

I didn't get anywhere with Subaru NZ admitting an issue at all.  They kept bleating on that none of the NZ ones have this problem and none has reported it to them.

I asked them to get info from FHI in Japan, but that also went nowhere.

In the end all they offered was a discount on a new Dash, 20% off $1000, plus I'd also have to pay install costs at the dealer (Winger) etc..  I said I'll think about it and left it at that for now.

What has your friend at Subaru NZ said?

Edited by jabz

• Admin

I'd still like to see it in writing that the new ones are definately made differently and won't do the same in 5-10 years time. I'd almost pay the $800 to have a brand new one that won't react the same.

They're a S*** dash regardless of this issue, its almost impossible to pull the vents or upper cubby without marking it

• 10 months later...

Hey guys, I've been meaning to reply to this thread.

I was having the *exact* same problem as shown in the original pictures. The white residue after leaving the dash under cover for a while and the terrible shiny sticky dash after being in the sun. I've tried all sorts of cleaners, chemical free, 3M aerospace 303 protectant, interior cleaners from Germany - nothing worked. 

I think I've finally found a solution (touch wood), it's been months since I applied this treatment and I haven't seen any sticky dash or white residue since!

To994Ni.jpg

dO6Uhyo.jpg

The bottle looks a bit rangi but it has worked great for me. You just dab this on with a small sponge and leave it to dry.

This is the site I ordered it from: http://www.stickymeltingsolution.com/

The exact bottle I ordered was the US$38 single bottle

Sticky Melting Solution Cleaner
Single Bottle - USD 38
This is One bottle Cleaner for touch up and minor cleaning touch up.

The shipping is $US12, so US$50 all up.

The guy, Sam, responds pretty quickly to any emails on [email protected]

It has worked great for me, I'd recommend giving it a go.

Edited by pharnos
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, pharnos said:

I was having the *exact* same problem as shown in the original pictures. The white residue after leaving the dash under cover for a while and the terrible shiny sticky dash after being in the sun. I've tried all sorts of cleaners, chemical free, 3M aerospace 303 protectant, interior cleaners from Germany - nothing worked. 

I think I've finally found a solution (touch wood), it's been months since I applied this treatment and I haven't seen any sticky dash or white residue since!

The bottle looks a bit rangi but it has worked great for me. You just dab this on with a small sponge and leave it to dry.

This is the site I ordered it from: http://www.stickymeltingsolution.com/

The exact bottle I ordered was the US$38 single bottle

Sticky Melting Solution Cleaner
Single Bottle - USD 38
This is One bottle Cleaner for touch up and minor cleaning touch up.

The shipping is $US12, so US$50 all up.

The guy, Sam, responds pretty quickly to any emails on [email protected]

It has worked great for me, I'd recommend giving it a go.

Might get some and start applying it before my 4th gen starts showing signs of the problem. Watching this for a while tho, just in case your dash starts peeling and cracking in the next few summer months lol.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2017 at 9:36 PM, gotasuby said:

1 of my nz new bp Legacys are doing it. Other 2 are not

Can you contact Subaru NZ as they mention NO ONE has reported the issue on a NZ model.

Philip.Hall AT subaru DOT co DOT nz

Andrew.Lov AT subaru DOT co DOT nz

On 12/14/2017 at 10:04 PM, pharnos said:

SNIP....

Hi so how has this held up in the HOT Summer over the past few months?  I will get some and try it soon.

Edited by jabz

Mine is still holding up with no issues even after a hot summer with it being left in the sun all day.

But for a long time it did have a coating of dust and dog hair that may have helped protect it. Cleaned it the other day and its still looking good

7 hours ago, jabz said:

Can you contact Subaru NZ as they mention NO ONE has reported the issue on a NZ model.

Philip.Hall AT subaru DOT co DOT nz

Andrew.Lov AT subaru DOT co DOT nz

Hi so how has this held up in the HOT Summer over the past few months?  I will get some and try it soon.

Yep, all good, no stickiness. Same cracks are still there (i've filled some with sugru www.sugru.com) and placed a pinhole at the end of one to stop it growing. I try to throw up the windscreen shade when it's out in the sun for a while. Dash has remained sticky-free so I'm well impressed with that product.

On 4/5/2018 at 5:46 PM, pharnos said:

Yep, all good, no stickiness. Same cracks are still there (i've filled some with sugru www.sugru.com) and placed a pinhole at the end of one to stop it growing. I try to throw up the windscreen shade when it's out in the sun for a while. Dash has remained sticky-free so I'm well impressed with that product.

Could you post a picture of the cracks you filled with sugru?

I was thinking of doing that but it doesn't look easy to get a clean result with that thing. I'm afraid that it might end up looking worst than the cracks if I don't do it properly.

• 5 months later...
On 4/13/2018 at 11:54 AM, Andy_Mac said:

Have they given a ballpark indication of what this might be?

They provided me the following, in Jan 2017

20% off $1000, plus I'd also have to pay install costs at the dealer (Winger) etc..

Which I think is BS having to fork out $800+ install.  I've been meaning to rark them up again on social with the latest pics.. haven't got around to it.

Edited by jabz

• Admin
7 hours ago, jabz said:

They provided me the following, in Jan 2017

20% off $1000, plus I'd also have to pay install costs at the dealer (Winger) etc..

Which I think is BS having to fork out $800+ install.  I've been meaning to rark them up again on social with the latest pics.. haven't got around to it.

Depending on how long they take for install I wouldn't say it's that bad for dealer prices. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...