Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

6 Speed Oil

KwS

Hi,

Looking to change the gearbox oil in my S401. What is the generally accepted oil to use in the 6 speed boxes? Ive done some searching and found all sorts of oils people use, and the threads on here are fairly old.

On 10/4/2016 at 3:20 PM, gotasuby said:

Put syntrax in it Kelvin. 

This stuff, i presume? http://www.castrol.com/en_nz/new-zealand/products/cars/axle-universal-oils/universal-plus-75w-90.html

On 10/5/2016 at 1:05 PM, Munkvy said:

Motul!

Nah, its crack money and TBH im not a fan of Motul after seeing the state of my old M3 engine (which was running Motul with good change intervals).

21 minutes ago, KwS said:

This stuff, i presume? http://www.castrol.com/en_nz/new-zealand/products/cars/axle-universal-oils/universal-plus-75w-90.html

Nah, its crack money and TBH im not a fan of Motul after seeing the state of my old M3 engine (which was running Motul with good change intervals).

Just a warning in case you haven't checked yet, but unfortunately Syntrax is "crack money" too.

• Admin

Not really any different to how it was before the swap. Not that that is a bad thing. Fluid that came out looked reasonably clean so may have not been all that old. Haven't tried anything else to compare though

I just went off their fluid calculator thingy and made sure I selected a car with a 6mt.

Couldn't justify the cost of the Syntrax over the universal stuff.

What kind of rears diffs do the S401's have in them? Should be able to use the same stuff in that aswell. 

We use the Castrol in the rally car and we would have been one of the fastest synchro gearboxes in the nzrc this year until we had our accident and it's the oil we have had the best success with so far. Syntrax is a full synthetic compared to semi synthetic of universal (used to be called multitrax) I'm not saying motul is bad but we have had great success with Castrol and its what subaru nz recommend.