Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Recommended performance tuner

RaKid

K brace holds the bottom of the control arms so they dont flex. Bit like a strut brace, but under the car.

Anti lift kit I installed myself, easy enough job just need a big cheater bar cos them bolts are farkin tight (270nm to the chassis, 190 to the rear control arm bolt iirc)

Most noticable was a big rear bar. Tyres dont count as a mod :-P

The front bar becomes a good move the tighter you set the rear one. The more stiffness in the rear, the more tail happy the car gets. So, camber bolts into the rear to increase cornering contact patch, then a beefy front bar to bring the handling back to a more neutral setting.

V7 inverted struts. Ok so the narrow tube that goes up inside the coil to the tophat, that goes the other way, down inside the strut body, and the whole shock cannister moves in relation to the shock body, instead of the shock body remaining stationary and a small tube moving up and down.

*shrugs* supposed to have less flex etc, but as a daily driven / weekend warrior I doubt you'll notice the movement.

The only stupid question is the one that isnt asked.

Whiteline produced a 5 part series called "Rex on rails", well worth a read

• Like 1

• Admin

Awesome man - now I'm thinking about all the different bits I want and how much tighter this car will feel when I fit them. So many goodies, so little money :)

I would love to do it myself but I don't have decent kit to lift my car up and I'll be damned if I'm doing it on the garage floor on my back.

Mmm I like your style. I like the idea of a front lower bar in conjunction with the factory front strut brace and then a nice sway bar. I should do the same to the rear really shouldn't I? I've heard of camber bolts but never really looked at a photo of them - presumably they allow for some negative camber? Does adjustable suspension offer the same type of adjustment as camber bolts or not really?

If the v7 inverted struts aren't an 'upgrade' then maybe I could also look to something aftermarket? 

Cheers for the article, I'll have a hunt and give it a read. Love all this kind of stuff.

Dont need the strut braces, but the swaybars make a huge difference.

Camber bolts are basically an eccentric bolt that allows for positive or negative camber, the bolt itself can allow for up to 1.75 degrees plus or minus.

The v7 sti inverted struts are most definately an upgrade over the standard type.

All my mods have been done on my driveway, having some axle stands and a good jack is fantastic

• Admin

I found some second hand Tein adjustable suspension for my gc8 but can't find v7 inverted struts - I'll have to keep hunting.

If I had the adjustable suspension would I need camber bolts too? Or are camber bolts like a cheap mans adjustable suspension?

I just had an alignment with stock front camber bolts and stock rears. Pretty sure it maxed at 1.75 f and 1.5 r.

Adjustable suspension normally only have camber hats in the front not in the rear. They are normally only really good for height and damper adjustment. If you change the orientation of the front camber hats you can add caster which is desirable. 

Secondhand adjustable struts are a nightmare do not even consider it.

+1 about K-Brace. they make the steering a heap more responsive and cornering feels a lot better. (i think i have a spare one somewhere) and used with an Anti Lift kit is magic. also don't go past a rear strut brace, i found i had a lot more grip when getting on the gas mid corner. car feels a lot tighter and you can feel the rear tyres biting in. this is on a GC8 with standard struts and tein low springs. both braces made a world of difference.

• Like 1

k-brace is a joke... they are made out of tubular aluminium and weigh nothing... they bolt to a steel subframe and chassis which are 100 times more substantial. May as well brace your chassis with race tape.

Edited by loner

they may be flimsy but they work on the old wobbly gc8 chassis.

greatest gain was in steering response, with decent tyres the front end of my old sti v6 sedan felt almost as good as a type r coupe with quick steering rack.

the effectiveness is reduced with later cars which were built with a much stiffer body/chassis

4 hours ago, loner said:

k-brace is a joke... they are made out of tubular aluminium and weigh nothing... they bolt to a steel subframe and chassis which are 100 times more substantial. May as well brace your chassis with race tape.

Disagree. Made a big difference on my car. Have you ever even used one??? They may be made off aluminium but they do reduce the amount of movement in the chassis. Any brace joining one side of the car to the other is going to stiffen it up more than without it.

40 minutes ago, ginganinja said:

Disagree. Made a big difference on my car. Have you ever even used one??? They may be made off aluminium but they do reduce the amount of movement in the chassis. Any brace joining one side of the car to the other is going to stiffen it up more than without it.

Yes I have used them... the effects are purely imaginary... just like the STi carbon fibre strut brace.

7 minutes ago, loner said:

Yes I have used them... the effects are purely imaginary... just like the STi carbon fibre strut brace.

since you know better than cusco,  ultra racing, and subaru themselves etc, who no doubt did a lot of testing before making any type of strut brace for the sti to make sure it actually made a difference,  what do you recommend for handling performance??? weld in steel bars all over the place? but whoops that defeats the purpose of an easy DIY bolt on part. 

Edited by ginganinja

1 hour ago, ginganinja said:

since you know better than cusco,  ultra racing, and subaru themselves etc, who no doubt did a lot of testing before making any type of strut brace for the sti to make sure it actually made a difference,  what do you recommend for handling performance??? weld in steel bars all over the place? but whoops that defeats the purpose of an easy DIY bolt on part. 

Well Cusco and Ultra Racing and Subaru don't have to prove S***... they make expensive useless bolt on stuff and people just buy it bc they

think it works and/or looks cool.

I am open to being proven wrong. Show me some lap times with and without the braces by way of proof either way. Until then it's pure speculation.

I don't notice any difference with or without braces and simply can't imagine how they could be effective without at least using some triangulation.

I'm not hating on anyone. Gingwotzit is the one losing his S***. If there is a rule about expressing an opposing opinion on this forum, please point it out. Cusco know plenty of S*** about engineering... But that doesn't mean they can perform miracles by way of selling bolt ons that stiffen chassis. And if there is a market for something utterly useless they will sell utterly useless S***... Aka a bolt in roll cage.

Edited by loner

not losing my sh*t. Just interested to know your recommendations. You have a lot to say how useless they are but have not provided us with the better solution. Can you tell us what it is? Or do you not know at all? All I can say is I believe they made a difference to my car as I did a drive before fitment and through the same road directly after I fitted it. The car definitely felt better and I am happy with their performance on my car so I will keep using them:)

For arguments sake are bigger sway bars crap too? I mean the car comes factory with sway bars so why change them? Just saying.

Also why are cusco roll cages crap, surely a car with one of them is going to be a bit stronger in a roll over than one without?

I'm guessing your subaru or what ever car you have is the fastest in nz of its type due to the handling prowess and knowledge you have.

Anyway everyone entitled to their opinion so i'm not worried. It's a good debate.

This could be a business venture for you! Start manufacturing handling solutions for cars and put cusco and other big brands to shame and out of business. Let me know how you get on.

Edited by ginganinja

Both of you have the same amount of factual data to back up your opinions and looks like you have both run the same tests....

So it doesnt really matter how long the discussion runs neither of your c*cks are going to grow any longer. Nobodys winning here today.

• Like 5

• General Member
2 minutes ago, ginganinja said:

Also why are cusco roll cages crap, surely a car with one of them is going to be a bit stronger in a roll over than one without?

To be fair I wouldnt get in any car with a bolt in cage regardless of brand. A bolt is significantly less strong than a good weld and from the moment it pops out in a crash or roll over your basically in a blender with a steel bar.

3 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Both of you have the same amount of factual data to back up your opinions and looks like you have both run the same tests....

So it doesnt really matter how long the discussion runs neither of your c*cks are going to grow any longer. Nobodys winning here today.

I suggest dicks out at 3 paces... He who touches first wins!!!

Kind of :/

6 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Hahahaha good call.

21 minutes ago, ginganinja said:

For arguments sake are bigger sway bars crap too? I mean the car comes factory with sway bars so why change them? Just saying.

Running no swaybars is also a good thing in certain applications...stock car parts have their place but thats not necessarily motorsport.

Bolt ons are illegal in NZ motorsport afaik which says a lot.

2 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Running no swaybars is also a good thing in certain applications...stock car parts have their place but thats not necessarily motorsport.

Bolt ons are illegal in NZ motorsport afaik which says a lot.

Fair call. Everything has their place. For track use u need as strong as you can. I understand that. For road use the cost of that is not really justified. I realise motorpsort is a totally different ball game. But any small improvement on a road car is all ways nice.

not losing my sh*t. Just interested to know your recommendations. You have a lot to say how useless they are but have not provided us with the better solution. Can you tell us what it is? Or do you not know at all? All I can say is I believe they made a difference to my car as I did a drive before fitment and through the same road directly after I fitted it. The car definitely felt better and I am happy with their performance on my car so I will keep using them:)

Just because I think a k-brace is useless, doesn't need I know of a better bolt on solution. I have used them in the past, and now don't bother,

and it's makes no difference to how fast I can drive or how my car handles. 

Swaybars are a waste of time... and I don't even use springs or shocks in my car... just chuck them out and replace them with big blocks

of wood. I'm even thinking about getting rid of my tyres... just don't see the point.

Have a look at a picture of a cusco cage and them ask yourself why they are no good.

I'm guessing your subaru or what ever car you have is the fastest in nz of its type due to the handling prowess and knowledge you have.

Yes, I have the fastest Subaru in the world and I am the best driver in the world. THE WORLD.

Anyway everyone entitled to their opinion so i'm not worried. It's a good debate.

This could be a business venture for you! Start manufacturing handling solutions for cars and put cusco and other big brands to shame and out of business. Let me know how you get on.

I am already rich from my knowledge of cars. I designed the McLaren P1.

1 hour ago, evowrx said:

I already said that.

1 hour ago, evowrx said:

Wow, don't you just sound intelligent tonight.