Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Your first 'performance' car...

G B

We all had to start somewhere I guess. Just wondering where everyone started off originally with their first ever 'performance' car.

Not sure it was ever brought to NZ, but mine was an MG Maestro 1600. Pretty advanced in is day being the first ever fully CAD production car. Came with an R series motor (developed from an an Allegro/Maxi motor IIRC) with twin Weber carbs. Biggest thing of note was the talking solid state 'digital' dashboard which was very Knight Rider-ish in its day!

pict0001_7443_big.jpg

A Fugly looking car, but I loved it :$

autowp.ru_mg_maestro_1600_1.jpg

Went on to own MGs for many years after that so it obviously wasn't all that bad a car 9_9

Edited by G B
  • Like 2

1994 Mitzi libero GT. Bought with no running gear for 600 then put GSR RS running gear and fmic into it. Steep learning curve at 15 and quite daunting putting loom and engine together not knowing what any of it was about. Started and ran first pop tho. Shell was also on cutties so that changed pre wof.

First non project was a 1996 Libero with full plastic evo 3 kit. Tuned by kent/speedsource to 160wkw @15psi with Evo 3 bolt ons and it drove awesomely. 

4 hours ago, Passtheacid said:

1996 ST205 Celica GT4

Heavy beast, but pretty fun.

Gave up on it after figuring out drawing power out of them was very exspensive

I had one of these a few years ago - one of five NZ new WRC spec cars. Did a few mods such as Lynn Rogers head along with suspension. Like you say, heavy beast, but fun :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D1Style said:

1985 AE82 Toyota FXGT 18 or so years ago, back when $5 got you 5 litres of gas. :D

After i sold that it was a 1996 EP91 Toyota Glanza V.......my first turbo car.

Ha i learnt to drive in the latter. Quick little car that cost zero to fill and maintain. Cant drive fwd for S*** these days.

On 24/10/2016 at 6:28 PM, G B said:

We all had to start somewhere I guess. Just wondering where everyone started off originally with their first ever 'performance' car.

Not sure it was ever brought to NZ, but mine was an MG Maestro 1600. Pretty advanced in is day being the first ever fully CAD production car. Came with an R series motor (developed from an an Allegro/Maxi motor IIRC) with twin Weber carbs. Biggest thing of note was the talking solid state 'digital' dashboard which was very Knight Rider-ish in its day!

my old fiat tipo dgt had a digital dash too !

in typical italian fashion it didn't stay working for long, most days fine, some days blinking, some days packing a complete sad and not lighting up at all.

as for the maestro, a few came in as plain austins.

we did get mg versions of the metro, metro turbo, montego and montego turbo

i drove the latter and it was bloody awful

fast in a straightline but handled like a drunkard with the poor chassis totally overwhelmed by the turbo motor

those austin/mgs were fully imported back when most nz cars were still ckd/locally assembled.

fairly expensive/fairly rare with a multitude of spec levels, nz was a dumping ground for orphan rhd cars.

my first performance car was an nz assembled ae82 corolla gt.

local leather inerior, chris amon tuned suspension, no emissions gear !

the thing revved like a motorbike to 8200rpm

good enough to see off much more expensive '80s euro hot hatches.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newsuba said:

we did get mg versions of the metro, metro turbo, montego and montego turbo

i drove the latter and it was bloody awful

fast in a straightline but handled like a drunkard with the poor chassis totally overwhelmed by the turbo motor

A number of years ago I took part in the Taga NZ Rally as co-driver in one of those...

2001-targamonty6.jpg

Came 2nd in class too :D

2001-targamonty5.jpg

Back in good 'ol Blighty, I heavily modified one adding a Rover T16 motor to it and was featured in one of the UK's leading Performance Car magazines. A mate loved it so much, he asked me to do the same conversion on his MG Maesto and it ended up being featured on Top Gear B| (from 3:27) I didn't get named but still my main claim to fame xD

• Like 1

On 10/24/2016 at 6:28 PM, G B said:

pict0001_7443_big.jpg

A Fugly looking car, but I loved it :$

autowp.ru_mg_maestro_1600_1.jpg

Went on to own MGs for many years after that so it obviously wasn't all that bad a car 9_9

My auntie had the 2.0l version as a company car back in the late 80's and yes agreed it was proper Fugly indeed.......😝😝😝

First performance car was a my96 V2 STI and had her for 10yrs and only sold her before I moved out here......👍🏻

• Like 1

1999 VR4 Legnum Type S. Amazing car, handled so dam well! And pretty quick. Was at 175km and was putting holes in my wallet so was time to go. 

Was a beat up mess when i got it. Picked it up for 4.5k at 135km on the clock. Spent a lot of money getting it as tidy as below. If only i could have kept it..

IMG_6381_zpsdqnkgesf.jpg

• Like 1