Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Questions about GF8 and EJ20 Turbo motors

tobrien109

Hi Guys 

I have a few questions which I feel quite stupid abut asking but hey, what are forums for?

I have a 1994 GF8 WRX Wagon and I had a few questions about engine bits and pieces. So living in Auckland and being a student means that I am strapped for cash. I was wondering what kind of mileage everyone was getting from a full tank of 95 as I'm not too sure if she's just a bit gas hungry or it might just be the way that I drive. I was also wondering what rpm everyone cruises at? in the city for example in a 50km/hr zone is it better to tick over in 4th at 2000rpm or is it better to chop into 3rd at about 2500 - 3000rpm? 

Another question I have is about idle speed, I've heard that my EJ20 should idle at about 800rpm but mine idles at 1000 - 1200 rpm even when warm. I have done the basics of cleaning the AFM, throttle body and I even went as far as cleaning 21 years of crud out of the IACV but still nothing, she still happily idles at 1000- 1200rpm.

Sorry for the stupid questions 

Edited by tobrien109

Try this thread for ideas on fuel economy:

Also try running on 98, running on 95 will be a false economy and could cause detonation or will pull timing to compensate and you will have less power unless specifically tuned for 95. Also more boosty, more drinky as I am finding out (the fun way)

Not sure about the idle problem. but if you've cleaned everything you could try resetting the ECU (use the search and will tell you how) and see if that fixes it

• Admin
34 minutes ago, tobrien109 said:

Sorry for the stupid questions 

No such thing as stupid questions bud. 

First off, if you're not already, run on 98 as above. Actually Does make a difference.

As far as RPM's you're right it should be sitting around 800rpm, however there are some cars out there that don't at all. 

For a tank of gas, you're best off at 50-60 (60kph is more efficient than 50 believe it or not) to sit in 4th and when under load just hook third and away you go.

EDIT: I also get approximately 500km from my Type RA.

Edited by Dairusire

47 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

No such thing as stupid questions bud. 

First off, if you're not already, run on 98 as above. Actually Does make a difference.

As far as RPM's you're right it should be sitting around 800rpm, however there are some cars out there that don't at all. 

For a tank of gas, you're best off at 50-60 (60kph is more efficient than 50 believe it or not) to sit in 4th and when under load just hook third and away you go.

EDIT: I also get approximately 500km from my Type RA.

Thanks for that! I'll give running on 98 a go and hopefully that makes a difference as I'm only getting about 400kms per tank unfortunately and might even bring my idle rpm down

• Like 1

This is interesting - my STI seems very average on fuel too - I only get around 300kms per tank around town and 400 - on open road? - is a bit better since i had it tuned - wondering If i need to check my plugs out? - have had a new fuel filter and use 98 as well?

23 minutes ago, V7STI1992 said:

This is interesting - my STI seems very average on fuel too - I only get around 300kms per tank around town and 400 - on open road? - is a bit better since i had it tuned - wondering If i need to check my plugs out? - have had a new fuel filter and use 98 as well?

mines about the same.

1 hour ago, tobrien109 said:

Thanks for that! I'll give running on 98 a go and hopefully that makes a difference as I'm only getting about 400kms per tank unfortunately and might even bring my idle rpm down

just dont go WOT, or pin it.... literally nana it and youll be amazed. pretty sure i got 550km to a tank in my old gf8 wagon when i first got it.... promised dad i wouldnt rape it.... i have never made a tank last that long since...

no idea on the ideal sorry... 

91 BC5 RS

I get 400km from a full tank of 98octane on the open road. city driving is about 360

For speeds of 50km/h definately cruize in 4th I sometimes cruize in 5th at 50km/h if its a relatively flat long road

As for high revs try taking your Idle controll valve completely off, (unit is just slightly right of the throttle body facing up whitish colour - not the black one (mark its position with a marker pen or something before hand)

then put some crc on the bearing and turn the post thing back and forth heaps if it feels abit grabby

Then re install to where it originally was or see if you can get some adjustment in the idle from it use it. that controll valve changes the idle of the car so when its cold it runs the idle abit higher then adjusts it to go lower when the cars warmed up

• General Member

I get 450ish km around town and between 550-600 open road, thats just normal driving with the odd bash of the throttle not nannaing about.

Thats v5 WRX, with a Link so not a bad result. Always makes me wonder when I see guys getting 400km or less from a tank. Although I think the R Variants all get smaller tanks right? 

I try to write down and set the trip when I fill up so here is a little of my recent fuel history. My driving is 80/20 town/highway. You can see pretty big differences depending on how I drive for the week and I tend to let my car warm up for longer than I probably have to. We also only get 95 where I am so that is what I run on.

480km --  45.0L

356km  --  48.4L

470km  --  52.8L

400km  --  51.1L

If anything all this tells you is depends how you drive it mate, some weeks i'm just cruising and some weeks boosting about 

• Like 1

• Subscribed Member
14 hours ago, THUNDA said:

91 BC5 RS

I get 400km from a full tank of 98octane on the open road. city driving is about 360

For speeds of 50km/h definately cruize in 4th I sometimes cruize in 5th at 50km/h if its a relatively flat long road

As for high revs try taking your Idle controll valve completely off, (unit is just slightly right of the throttle body facing up whitish colour - not the black one (mark its position with a marker pen or something before hand)

then put some crc on the bearing and turn the post thing back and forth heaps if it feels abit grabby

Then re install to where it originally was or see if you can get some adjustment in the idle from it use it. that controll valve changes the idle of the car so when its cold it runs the idle abit higher then adjusts it to go lower when the cars warmed up

Same here on my old BC5 RA, around 360ish KM to a full tank around town. and nearer 400 on the open road.