Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

3.0R Mods?

TNHSTI

Hi guys - are contemplating on purchasing a 3.0R manual SI Drive - I have had an auto one in the past so I know what they're like, can anyone comment on what can be done to the EZ30 engine foe more power - without spending mega $$? as in no more than $1500 - Im thinking an exhaust as for reflashes for these engines can you get much gains?

• 1 month later...

Should get between 150-160 with headwrs and tune, jumping from about 120 ish.

If its an auto, get the trans serviced and a PAK File update done. Delete intake res really needs a tune to get the most from the extra air but wont hurt it. Tune also makes a HUGE difference to the intake and exhaust note.

What is the consensus on who to get to tune a 3.0R?

Sounds like people have had bad experiences recently with Throttlehappy (taking months to finish tune etc..I see on FB he is sick anyway). People online seem to like XRT from Barbados. Or take it to DTech in Tauranga?

Personally leaning towards an e-tune given it's my daily and I drive like a nana and won't be doing any mechanical mods...

Still need to get the PAK file done too as I have an auto.

• Admin

Wouldn't bother with DTech. They'll do a good job but its a huge cost on a vehicle without any mods.

If its completely standard give throttlehappy a go. Its only when heaps of revisions are needed that it starts to drag on. For a stock one he has a heap of knowledge and logs from other stock vehicles so it'll be 90% right from the first revision so will only need one or two after that point.

On 11/01/2017 at 8:53 AM, V7STI1992 said:

anyone know what sort of power gain I will get with just a reflash? have now got a 2006 Legacy 3.0R 6MT, not real keen on touching the exhaust as I like the stock quietness

1. Upgrade the headers

2. Knock out all the cats in the system --> This one is a bit tricky because of the new laws around catalytic converters, which states that any car registered in NZ after 2010 that was manufactured after 1990 has to have a catalytic converter in the system. If you legacy was NZ new in 2006 then you can take all the cats out and still get a WOF.

If it was imported after 2010, then you'll have to do the less legal thing of finding someone to knock the guts out of all of your catalytic converters and leaving the empty cats in place so that it still looks like you've got them in the system to get your WOF. Best to cut them open, remove all the filling, then weld them shut again as opposed to knocking the guts out with a metal pole.

If you're not keen on doing this, then 1 high flow cat will suffice ($150 from Redline)

I found an image of the stock exhaust system that shows where all of the cats are below.

3. Remove the mid system muffler (labelled number 24 in the image) and replace it with a resonator (you can get a 2.5" one from Redline for $60) as this muffler does NOTHING and removing the cats will increase the exhaust noise a little and putting this resonator in will deaden the sound again. If you prefer to use a high flow cat, use this instead of the resonator.

4. Leave the stock mufflers in place. They do restrict flow a little bit, but not much and they kill a hell of a lot of noise. Pic below

Headers + all other work should cost you less than $1,500 to do. Then you can get onto the Romraider forums and research tuning unless you want to shell out another $1,000+ to have it dyno tuned or find someone to reflash your ECU for less

This should help with another 20 - 30kw and make the car feel a fair bit more torquey (I had a tuned 30R with exhaust done at one stage and my wife had an untuned one and the difference was quite noticeable).

566495144005.png

17956d1244606528-my09-exhaust-system-leg

Edited by Decap
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Decap said:

1. Upgrade the headers

2. Knock out all the cats in the system --> This one is a bit tricky because of the new laws around catalytic converters, which states that any car registered in NZ after 2010 that was manufactured after 1990 has to have a catalytic converter in the system. If you legacy was NZ new in 2006 then you can take all the cats out and still get a WOF.

If it was imported after 2010, then you'll have to do the less legal thing of finding someone to knock the guts out of all of your catalytic converters and leaving the empty cats in place so that it still looks like you've got them in the system to get your WOF. Best to cut them open, remove all the filling, then weld them shut again as opposed to knocking the guts out with a metal pole.

If you're not keen on doing this, then 1 high flow cat will suffice ($150 from Redline)

I found an image of the stock exhaust system that shows where all of the cats are below.

3. Remove the mid system muffler (labelled number 24 in the image) and replace it with a resonator (you can get a 2.5" one from Redline for $60) as this muffler does NOTHING and removing the cats will increase the exhaust noise a little and putting this resonator in will deaden the sound again. If you prefer to use a high flow cat, use this instead of the resonator.

4. Leave the stock mufflers in place. They do restrict flow a little bit, but not much and they kill a hell of a lot of noise. Pic below

Headers + all other work should cost you less than $1,500 to do. Then you can get onto the Romraider forums and research tuning unless you want to shell out another $1,000+ to have it dyno tuned or find someone to reflash your ECU for less

This should help with another 20 - 30kw and make the car feel a fair bit more torquey (I had a tuned 30R with exhaust done at one stage and my wife had an untuned one and the difference was quite noticeable).

566495144005.png

17956d1244606528-my09-exhaust-system-leg

Thanks this is awesome info! a lot of help!

Without cats and the middle resonator the car will scream like crazy (though this might be a goal for some). 

Bashing/emptying the cats will leave you with a "nice" tinny sound, much better option is to place a straight pipe inside of each cat (while still retaining factory look). 

Keep in mind that there's not that much room for a decent resonator in place of a flat factory one, especially on a lowered car. 

Mufflers. If going aftermarket after doing the above mods, look for some nice big oval shaped mufflers - Wangan, Fujitsubo, Apexi. You'll end up with some nice deep sound without drone and other nuisance. 

Would highly recommend K2Gear dual intermediate pipe if you can find one - it was specifically designed for a 3.0 and sound awesome, will be perfect if you go catless. 

• Like 4