Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

3.0R Mods?

TNHSTI

6 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

I'd say 95% physically :D

Silly thing though. Got it right in the end and BR9 appeared on the horizon, didn't have much time to enjoy:/

You don't have a garage thread for your BL do you?  What was your final setup?

1 minute ago, willisnz said:

You don't have a garage thread for your BL do you?  What was your final setup?

Not on here no, had one on sl-i.

Final set-up would've been: 

• Custom headers, two main cats still in place, third cat removed and replaced with a proper Y pipe
  • K2Gear intermediate pipe
  • Wangan SPL mufflers (also had Fujitsubo Sedalis mufflers), bot are nice heavy ovals

I might be wrong, but aftermarket headers on their own only give you an increase at the top end?

9 hours ago, kwi_fozze said:

I'd believe their claims, post tune. The headers make a HUGE difference(in n/a terms, its got nothing on a turbo) 

Wanted one of their supercharger kits, bought another v7 sti wagon instead :-P

And they are using that XRT guy's tune data for marketing, which gives me some comfort using him given concerns about throttle happy's communication/health etc..

That's the thing with the supercharger kit, you can buy another cost for similar $!

On 1/02/2017 at 10:46 AM, sobanoodle said:

Without cats and the middle resonator the car will scream like crazy (though this might be a goal for some). 

Bashing/emptying the cats will leave you with a "nice" tinny sound, much better option is to place a straight pipe inside of each cat (while still retaining factory look). 

Keep in mind that there's not that much room for a decent resonator in place of a flat factory one, especially on a lowered car. 

Mufflers. If going aftermarket after doing the above mods, look for some nice big oval shaped mufflers - Wangan, Fujitsubo, Apexi. You'll end up with some nice deep sound without drone and other nuisance. 

Would highly recommend K2Gear dual intermediate pipe if you can find one - it was specifically designed for a 3.0 and sound awesome, will be perfect if you go catless. 

I put a $60 2.5" resonator from Redline in place of the flat muffler (which does nothing as it's just a straight pipe with nothing in it if you look inside it - I'll put a pic up at some point) after taking the downpipe cat out of my Legacy GT and bashing the core out of the second muffler after the downpipe and it sounds only just a bit louder than stock without any tinniness.

I do like the idea of putting a straight pipe inside each cat though... need to check if Pitstop actually did that on mine. Can't remember

I had my 3.0R with headers and a 3rd cat delete with an ECU remap. 163kw ATW.

Very nice to drive...

The stock headers are not a great design. Square tubing into round tubing. Very odd.

The raptor headers make a difference to the top end. As in it will pull hard all the way to the fuel cut.

The stock centre section is actually quite OK and if you start to mess with that you end with it sounding crap. It gets raspy very quickly if you start replacing things with higher flowing versions.

I ended up having to heat wrap the cats though. They were fine on the road but when I took it to the track once they got so hot they melted the CV boot above them.

20150706_151023-1_zpsuv3aqac7.jpg

20150706_155700_zpsxs4flyen.jpg

IMG_20151023_124023_zps71ygxtzu.jpg

Edited by McDoof
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, V7STI1992 said:

What was the sound like after doing the exhaust and tune? much the same? or noticeably noisier?

Because I left the rest of the system fairly stock it wasn't much louder. It sounds different, but not really louder.

This is what it sounded like with a set of after market mufflers. Not really to my liking so I went back to stock. Well I went to a set of GT mufflers which are internally the same, just with a different tip

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McDoof said:

Because I left the rest of the system fairly stock it wasn't much louder. It sounds different, but not really louder.

This is what it sounded like with a set of after market mufflers. Not really to my liking so I went back to stock. Well I went to a set of GT mufflers which are internally the same, just with a different tip

very keen think ill grab some raptor headers, are they direct bolt up? 

would i get the same gains as you if i left the cats and just did the headers and an ecu remap? mine is also the 3.0r 6spd manual 

16 hours ago, V7STI1992 said:

very keen think ill grab some raptor headers, are they direct bolt up? 

would i get the same gains as you if i left the cats and just did the headers and an ecu remap? mine is also the 3.0r 6spd manual 

I kept my stock cats in place. I just removed the 3rd cat. The Headers to not bolt up. You need to cut the old headers out and weld the included flange in just before the cats. Removing the 2 stock cats is a bad idea. It will sound horrible unless you go nuts with additional resonators. It's very easy to get the sound wrong on these cars.

I tried a bunch of things and ended up with the following

Raptor Headers -> Stock cats -> Custom pipe to Y joint -> Stock mid section -> Stock rear Y section. You could replace this last Y section with something the flows better but your gains will be marginal (maybe 1-2kw)

You can then play with the sound by changing your mufflers.

The biggest gain by far is from having the ECU remapped. I had mine done by Matt (Throttle Happy) who is the best I have for the EZ30 but he's near impossible to get hold of and it can be very frustrating working with him. But the results are good. You have to be a very patient person and will need to try and get him as a friend on FB so that you message him.

XRT gets some decent results too, but not at the same level. He is however much easier to work with and very responsive.

Cryotune does not do a great job on the EZ30. He may have improved by now, but he did my first tune and it wasn't great.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, willisnz said:

what about you @delta?  That would make 4 of us.

Who else has a Legacy/Outback with the ez30 that might be keen...

Would love to get those bro but I want to improve the handling first, it's already going to cost me a lot :P

15 minutes ago, willisnz said:

Fair enough. I'm not in any particular hurry. I will probably do handling and tune first.

Probably still worth gathering a list of people that might be interested and seeing if they will do us a deal.

Definitely I'm in the same boat, I'm wanting to get some Recaro Seats installed first as well, looks like that's gonna cost me a bit too

Personally (and based on my experience) I would not bother with Raptor headers on otherwise bone stock car, AT especially.

I'd rather spend the money on suspension mods like sway bars, links and bushes and have the car tuned (with an exception that this time I'd go to XRT shall I decide to e-tune).

Probably still do the 3rd cat delete and chuck some nice mufflers on.