Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyres for daily driver? (BPE 3.0R)

Based on the "what tyres are running threads", everyone here seems to be running Bridgestones.

Just wondering what people think is good value for for an all season tyre for a BP legacy wagon?  Will spend most of its life sitting in Auckland traffic with occasional long drives over summer etc.. and I won't be running a different set for summer/winter.  I'm also a relative cautious driver and will often have a baby in tow, so even on the open road I won't be pushing it too hard and therefore won't see too much benefit from something high end. So I'm trying to find the middle ground/spot that isn't crap but won't sting the wallet.... 

Stock 17" rims, so 215/45/R17 (from memory).

• Like 1

What do you like about them? Just though I would tease this out a bit more before I blindly follow your recommendation;)

Nevermind, just serached the CD forum for Zetum and can see everyone raving about them!

Now to find who has them in Auckland...

2 hours ago, pedro said:

Got mine from tyresonline ..Around $100 each..

Link?

Best deals I have found are:

$129 fitted

http://buyatyre.co.nz/tyres-for-passenger-vehicles/215-45R17-zetum-zu37-sport

$105 non-fitted

http://factorytyres.co.nz/product/zetum-zu37-sport/

I don't have the tools to fit them myself so will probs need get to get someone to do it.

I had a set of Zetums on my BP Legacy - and would definitely not recommend them if you are having any thoughts of pushing them even a little hard they under steer like a bulldozer, and in the wet well yeah lets just say, if you had to brake suddenly or swerve then you will probably be on the phone to the insurance company to fix your smashed car

but that's just me I always run bridgestones - just cos I know they are excellent - if you want to go cheaper try some Neuton NT5000, they are excellent according to my brother, who had them on his Altezza - and they dont make u have to get a mortgage to get a set

• Like 1

I run Zetum on most my and other vehicles. Prob have bought in excess of 100 of them total. They are great value for money. May not have the total grip level as re003 etc but they are not far off. We have performed in the waimate 50 with them with good results as well so can't be too bad. For 80-100 they are cheap to

• Like 1

As Gotasuby said, people here have done proper motorsport events on Zetums (I have done lots), and if you are having trouble keeping your car going in the right direction using them (especially on public roads) you need to look at your driving; not the tyres. Tyres are not magical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GC8E2DD said:

As Gotasuby said, people here have done proper motorsport events on Zetums (I have done lots), and if you are having trouble keeping your car going in the right direction using them (especially on public roads) you need to look at your driving; not the tyres. Tyres are not magical.

Could be alignment. My car is hard to keep straight on boost when passing and the like with 1mm toe out all round.

Well, there are cheap tyres, and then there are nasty tyres. Zetums are cheap, but they are not nasty. Bridgestones (Potenzas) are great tyres, but they are overpriced and wear quickly. Tyres and cars are mostly only as dangerous as the driver and conditions in my opinion.

• Like 3

thanks mate. not trying to hijack this thread at all but its on the same topic - whats the general opinion on running r888s as dailies ( came with car) , is it dangerous/ risky on wet and offroad situations? my normal driving is mostly highway / city. weekends is rural around gravel/dodgy roads of the waitak ranges , bit of mud / stream crossings here and there. i know i overthink things but thats my daily driver tyre question anyway :)

9 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

thanks mate. not trying to hijack this thread at all but its on the same topic - whats the general opinion on running r888s as dailies ( came with car) , is it dangerous/ risky on wet and offroad situations? my normal driving is mostly highway / city. weekends is rural around gravel/dodgy roads of the waitak ranges , bit of mud / stream crossings here and there. i know i overthink things but thats my daily driver tyre question anyway :)

r888s are fine in all situations apart from when there is standing water... even then, just slow down when it's very wet and you'll be fine. They won't last long though and it's a total waste of money, especially now that the new r888s are out and much more expensive.

Zentums are okay and maybe better than the average tyre of the same price... I'm not entirely convinced of that yet. I have a set on my WRX and don't feel particularly confident in them, especially in the wet... I used the same set on my Legacy for a trip to Hamilton and they felt pretty good... but the limits of the Legacy are very low compared to a 90s WRX and I still didn't like them in the wet in fast corners.

Yes people, well Sam, has used them for autox and street sprints with some good results, but that just means that Sam has adapted well to the tyre and he would likely do as well with any old tyre that he was accustomed to.

Edited by loner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Won't agree with the last bit, I've always run Bridgestones on my cars and they last rather well.

Not as pricey if you get them on special. 

wouldn't agree with any of that  ...

over here they sell mainly on price.

the current road tyre range is pretty ordinary.

2 hours ago, GC8E2DD said:

Problem with always running the same tyres on your car is that you have nothing to compare them to. This is just my experience with multiple sets of RE001s and RE050As for daily and Clubsport. YMMV.

Have had JDM PlayZ, S001, RE002, RE003 and Ecopia.

But yeah, who am I to argue with tyre experts/gurus. Just my 2 cents.

• Admin

People often forget that the only thing connecting their car to the ground, which transfers any braking, acceleration or steering input, is the tyres.

I've driven a range of vehicles on range of different quality tyres. Had Roadstones on my Toyota Carib... never again.
I have RE003 on my BE currently and will most likely purchase them again.

A full set of 215/45/17 fitted, balanced and aligned cost under $750.

If that's unjustifiable, I would still recommend a good midrange tyre from Bridgestone or another reputable brand like Falken etc.

• Like 3