Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyres for daily driver? (BPE 3.0R)

34 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

If I remember correctly from your cars thread you are planning to upgrade to 18". If so I'd be doing tyres and going up in size at the same size.

Totes. Only issue is that tyres that came with car won't pass WOF, so need to sort something now. So while it's the ideal time to upgrade, I don't have rims sorted.

I can always slap the 17s on my wife's car and then flick her 16s when/if I upgrade.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm willing to give zetums a go, but given tyres last a while and are what connects to you to the road I may still go with some bridgestones (figure having good tyres is like having insurance...i.e. protecting you against a low probability, high cost outcome).  Plus, can't seem to find anywhere in West Auckland that has Zetums (online atleast) for a good price and there is a Bridgestone place in Avondale and I am lazy!

One final question RE Bridgestone.  Any thoughts on the Ecopia range (PZX) or Tourenza (serenity plus) as options for sitting in traffic on the NW motorway everyday? Assuming they will be a bit cheaper than the Potenza but still decent?

• Admin

29 minutes ago, willisnz said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm willing to give zetums a go, but given tyres last a while and are what connects to you to the road I may still go with some bridgestones (figure having good tyres is like having insurance...i.e. protecting you against a low probability, high cost outcome).  Plus, can't seem to find anywhere in West Auckland that has Zetums (online atleast) for a good price and there is a Bridgestone place in Avondale and I am lazy!

One final question RE Bridgestone.  Any thoughts on the Ecopia range (PZX) or Tourenza (serenity plus) as options for sitting in traffic on the NW motorway everyday? Assuming they will be a bit cheaper than the Potenza but still decent?

I've heard good things about the Ecopia range on daily drivers. Good life and low road noise, decent grip for a non-performance tyre.

18 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

My dad got  more than 80k out of Ecopias and was really happy with them, now runs RE003s. 

Haha you didn't influence that decision at all did you ;)

• Admin
25 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

My dad got  more than 80k out of Ecopias and was really happy with them, now runs RE003s. 

Funny you say that. My mum who drives like a nana has them on a mid 2000's Camry and gets the same life out of them as other much cheaper options. Queried Bridgestone on the matter and they claimed for that car they needed to be rotated every couple of thousand km's which is rather inconvenient for a tyre aimed at people who want to spend as little time as possible on things like that. 

Probably a bit different for a Subaru where all wheels provide power but isn't an issue with any other tyre they've used.

No deals on RE003's at the moment I see.  They are called Firestone Indy 500 in the US and are rating really well:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500

You could give the new Pirelli Dragon Sport a go.  $175 each at Hyper:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/438117/pirelli-p-zero-and-dragon-sport-review-pushing-new-tyres-to-the-limit-at-the-shanghai-f1-circuit/

Edited by GorGasmSpecB

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Funny you say that. My mum who drives like a nana has them on a mid 2000's Camry and gets the same life out of them as other much cheaper options. Queried Bridgestone on the matter and they claimed for that car they needed to be rotated every couple of thousand km's which is rather inconvenient for a tyre aimed at people who want to spend as little time as possible on things like that. 

Probably a bit different for a Subaru where all wheels provide power but isn't an issue with any other tyre they've used.

Are you sure she really drives it like a nana?.. :D

Dad drives a turbo Forester as his daily/work horse, he does rotate the tyres at every oil change though (should really inherit this habit too).

1 hour ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Haha you didn't influence that decision at all did you ;)

A little bit... they were on special too :}

• Admin
On 12/23/2016 at 6:45 PM, Subru said:

Some very decent overall tyres would be the Bridgestone RE003's or even RE002's. They are one of the best all round tyres for daily.

Going to ask the question here.... have you ever driven on either?

Ever driven a BPE Legacy?

I don't wanna be a grump but my understanding is that you've probably never done any of these things.

As for OP, if you haven't already got tyres, IMO have no fear about Zetums. I have a set on my BPE and I can't even get a squeak out of them cornering. Wear has been very good, dry grip is decent (better than say MY01, close to RE002), wet grip is... acceptable? Unless you like chucking the car around when it's pouring down. Got a set fitted and balanced for $500, pretty good for the $$ and in my mind perfectly good especially as a sorta interim tyre.

I'm not sure I would run them on my STI but that's a very different kettle of fish.

• Like 2

Yeah potenzas sound great but don't really meet the brief for a car that will spend most of it's life sitting in traffic on SH16.

I was convinced on zetums but struggled to find somewhere convenient to get them fitted before I go back to work on Monday. 

Ended giving the pirelli dragon sport a go since hyper drive are having a sale as per one of the previous posts. If I don't like them,when my wife's tyres wear out I'll give her my 17s and upgrade to 18s.

Ecopias probably would have been ideal for crawling in traffic, but Bridgestone don't have any discounts going at the moment and I'm getting a bunch of work done to my car so saving a little bit of cash swayed me.

• Like 1

apparently bridgestone doing buy 3 get 1 free again from monday. pirelli dragons are good though, have had them before and can't complain. wasn't as good as the T1Rs i had before them (i heard T1R is similar comparison to RE003) but at the pricepoint they're at and the use case given, the dragon sports be more than sufficient. tyre life was pretty damn good too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, boon said:

Going to ask the question here.... have you ever driven on either?

Ever driven a BPE Legacy?

I don't wanna be a grump but my understanding is that you've probably never done any of these things.

As for OP, if you haven't already got tyres, IMO have no fear about Zetums. I have a set on my BPE and I can't even get a squeak out of them cornering. Wear has been very good, dry grip is decent (better than say MY01, close to RE002), wet grip is... acceptable? Unless you like chucking the car around when it's pouring down. Got a set fitted and balanced for $500, pretty good for the $$ and in my mind perfectly good especially as a sorta interim tyre.

I'm not sure I would run them on my STI but that's a very different kettle of fish.

Yes I have driven on both re002 and 3's.

What I was saying was RE003 are decent all round tyres, you know mighty car mods(youtube them if not), Marty has re003's on his turbo Ez36 Legacy with around 350kw (if i remember correctly) and its his daily. he also took it on track and he is extremely happy with them. Maybe zetums are better, I have never used them but I was just putting it out there that they were decent.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Subru said:

Yes I have driven on both re002 and 3's.

What I was saying was RE003 are decent all round tyres, you know mighty car mods(youtube them if not), Marty has re003's on his turbo Ez36 Legacy with around 350kw (if i remember correctly) and its his daily. he also took it on track and he is extremely happy with them. Maybe zetums are better, I have never used them but I was just putting it out there that they were decent.

To be clear, I don't mean around a carpark, I mean for an extended period, and I still don't believe you anyway. The RE002 was probably discontinued before you owned a car (and possibly before you could drive)

Like I said I don't want to be a grump about it, you're pretty young and obviously enthusiastic about the whole car scene but it seriously peeves me when people throw around "advice" about stuff when they are just repeating something they heard/saw on the internet once. You said RE002s or RE003s are one of the best tyres for a daily, OK, that's odd, I thought the RE070 would have kicked the crap out of them, other than their tendency to tramline on uneven surfaces. RE050A probably does too. I reckon the Toyo T1 Sports have better grip and last longer while costing less to boot, unless you get a very good special on the Bridgestones. Exactly what characteristics of those tyres make you say they're one of the best?

There's a very good chance MCM got those tyres free from Bridgestone, so of course he's not going to go "errr thanks Bridgestone they're alright but my Pirelli P-Zeros were better"

1 hour ago, boon said:

To be clear, I don't mean around a carpark, I mean for an extended period, and I still don't believe you anyway. The RE002 was probably discontinued before you owned a car (and possibly before you could drive)

Like I said I don't want to be a grump about it, you're pretty young and obviously enthusiastic about the whole car scene but it seriously peeves me when people throw around "advice" about stuff when they are just repeating something they heard/saw on the internet once. You said RE002s or RE003s are one of the best tyres for a daily, OK, that's odd, I thought the RE070 would have kicked the crap out of them, other than their tendency to tramline on uneven surfaces. RE050A probably does too. I reckon the Toyo T1 Sports have better grip and last longer while costing less to boot, unless you get a very good special on the Bridgestones. Exactly what characteristics of those tyres make you say they're one of the best?

There's a very good chance MCM got those tyres free from Bridgestone, so of course he's not going to go "errr thanks Bridgestone they're alright but my Pirelli P-Zeros were better"

Really? you actually saying I never drove on them? I didnt drive heaps on the re002's but the re003s I have driven on them a decent amount and I still do.  I have had my license for about 2.5 years btw.

I still say they are decent tyres overall meaning the price, wet and dry grip are good.

Sure track/sports tyres will be better but this is a daily driver and look at the original post, he says he is a cautious driver and will not drive it hard so he will not benefit from anything high end and im only taking a guess that most of those tyres you mentioned are more expensive.

You are probably right, I was just giving my opinion like everyone else, it doesn't matter if im young or inexperienced.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Subru said:

Really? you actually saying I never drove on them? I didnt drive heaps on the re002's but the re003s I have driven on them a decent amount and I still do.  I have had my license for about 2.5 years btw.

I still say they are decent tyres overall meaning the price, wet and dry grip are good.

Sure track/sports tyres will be better but this is a daily driver and look at the original post, he says he is a cautious driver and will not drive it hard so he will not benefit from anything high end and im only taking a guess that most of those tyres you mentioned are more expensive.

You are probably right, I was just giving my opinion like everyone else, it doesn't matter if im young or inexperienced.

Btw I find it rude that your telling me that I have never driven on those tyres... not that I care.

If you've got RE003s on your Impreza, cool, that's quite a lot of tyre for the car, good choice.

The problem I have is that being young and inexperienced your opinion is utterly unqualified. If all you have ever eaten in your life is pine needles then you probably think pine needles make mighty fine food - likewise if all you've ever driven hard is an RE003 then it's completely ridiculous to say they're "one of the best".

If you go back through the thread you'll notice that most of the people weighing in have driven on HEAPS of tyres and can draw different comparisons between them - thinking hard about it, does your post materially contribute to OPs search for good tyres?

• Like 1

This thread has been very interesting to follow. 

I can see @boon 's point about experience with different tyres which only will come with time and more sets of tyres. I always take tyre advice with a pinch of salt as everyone has a slightly different driving style and how far they push the car to the limits of grip etc.

I have brought a set of Haida tyres for the RS RA as I had a massive screw in one. They were cheap and was only place open that was close by. They are surprisingly good for the value (Had a good chat to the tyre guy about what I wanted and needed for a limited price range). They have excellent grip and when they do lose grip it is well controlled and predictable (had the chance to have a quick blat round a commercial subdivision before it was open to the public).

• Like 1

On 6/01/2017 at 6:32 PM, willisnz said:

This could have been avoided if my original post said "everyone here appears to drive re003s" instead of "everyone here appears to drive Bridgestones",given that is what I meant:)

not me !

iirc i said the current bridgestone road tyres are rubbish.

:P

imho the re002/003 are far behind the old re050a

and toyo t1r are old enough to have come off the ark

not experienced the wonder of zetums

:D

Edited by newsuba
  • Like 1