Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Anyone want to help a noob?

McMatty

My check engine light in my BH5B has been going on and off for a while and I've finally bit the bullet and got the codes pulled, I got codes 12 (Starter signal), 22 ( Knock sensor) and 32 (oxygen sensor), im guessing to fix the 22 and 32 is just replace the sensors, but where do i go to get replacements and how do i put them in? wanting to do all the work myself as im looking for an apprenticeship. anyone wanna help?

9 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Not sure about the starter sensor, but if the o2 sensor is throwing a code its probably on its way out and changing the knock sensor won't change that, best to replace it as well just to be safe.

It might have to wait, theres no money till after christmas and i dont even know which o2 sensor it is

Edited by McMatty

I only had one O2 sensor in my BH5, there can be two, 1 in the headers on the passenger side, and one further back in the exhaust which mine was missing. never threw a code for it though admittedly I did single turbo it.

If I recall I got one new Bosch O2 sensor for  254.00, that was 6 years ago though. you're still probably looking at that figure though.

Knock sensor is easy- well on the TT's you will have better luck removing the intercooler to even attempt this. It's situated sorta in land from the bov on the block.

Starter signal, just check all your connections on the starter motor are okay, that none of the wires are wiggled loose, or that no wire insulation has melted off. rather uncommon code to be had, so if it's not a poked starter motor, then it's a wiring fault.

1 hour ago, McMatty said:

Oh god, and im wanting to do an ez30 swap in the future :o

Not that I had any issues with them ;)

I had to replace a front O2 sensor (in the headers) in my old GT BH5, after a bit of a research ordered a Denso sensor from the UK, was around $200 landed in Auckland. Denso make most of Subaru sensors, essentially the same stuff as genuine Subaru part numbers without associated costs. 

17 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Not that I had any issues with them ;)

I had to replace a front O2 sensor (in the headers) in my old GT BH5, after a bit of a research ordered a Denso sensor from the UK, was around $200 landed in Auckland. Denso make most of Subaru sensors, essentially the same stuff as genuine Subaru part numbers without associated costs. 

ooohh, so the third sensor is in the headers? that might be the one throwing codes, suppose you dont remember the part number for it?

53 minutes ago, McMatty said:

ooohh, so the third sensor is in the headers? that might be the one throwing codes, suppose you dont remember the part number for it?

My one was rev.D not sure if the O2 sensors are the same but very likely they're.

Was throwing codes P0031 Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1) + P0131 Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1) when it died completely

Subaru part# 22641AA090 or 22641AA042 

Denso part # DOX0306

https://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/subaru-forester-impreza-front-lambda-sensor-22641aa042?bSearch=true

What it looked like:

155258as-960.jpg

13 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

My one was rev.D not sure if the O2 sensors are the same but very likely they're.

Was throwing codes P0031 Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1) + P0131 Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1) when it died completely

Subaru part# 22641AA090 or 22641AA042 

Denso part # DOX0306

https://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/subaru-forester-impreza-front-lambda-sensor-22641aa042?bSearch=true

Sorry for being naive but would my sensor be the same one as the one you replaced due to our difference in codes? my code was 32 

1 hour ago, sobanoodle said:

The difference in codes is probably due to mine being a revD. Sorry cannot confirm 100%.

@Rosssub we need your help here :)

Yeah, 32 is SSM CEL flashing codes
the P0131/P0031 is for later OBDII compliant computers.

The lambda sensor will still talk- Easiest way to get the part number is to take the O2 sensor out and confirm. Some have different threads/sizes

Rev A-C use a 3 wire O2 sensor, mounted in the F/L header. Remove the surrounding heat shields and use a 22mm ring spanner to get the sensor out.  About $190 through partsouq.com IIRC, using your chassis number for part finding. Rev D uses a 4 wire AFR sensor (incompatible).

https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=10103ab470

The starter signal CEL can be from cranking with a low or flat battery. The CEL pops up if the ECU voltage drops below a certain point while starting/cranking.

New knock sensors are under $60 through strongs: Use a 12mm socket with a long extension to get the sensor out. Take note of the original sensors rotation and fit the new one on the same angle.

https://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/collections/electrical/products/new-knock-sensor-legacy-199803

• Like 3

On 12/24/2016 at 1:22 AM, Rosssub said:

Rev A-C use a 3 wire O2 sensor, mounted in the F/L header. Remove the surrounding heat shields and use a 22mm ring spanner to get the sensor out.  About $190 through partsouq.com IIRC, using your chassis number for part finding. Rev D uses a 4 wire AFR sensor (incompatible).

https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=10103ab470

The starter signal CEL can be from cranking with a low or flat battery. The CEL pops up if the ECU voltage drops below a certain point while starting/cranking.

New knock sensors are under $60 through strongs: Use a 12mm socket with a long extension to get the sensor out. Take note of the original sensors rotation and fit the new one on the same angle.

https://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/collections/electrical/products/new-knock-sensor-legacy-199803

Does this part number seem right @Rosssub? just wanting to make sure before i go and buy it, Oxygen sensor: 22690AA440

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/parts?c=Subaru+Japan&ssd=%24HSU7egYEAwoBAAAVDDkDBQNLbXNbQDFQTV14X1tHUBU%24&vid=167&gid=10829

Edited by McMatty

8 hours ago, McMatty said:

Anyone know how long partsouq orders usually take? It does say on  the website 3 to 7 days but just wanna see what time frames people have got their items in

All my orders have been in my hand in 7 working days.

4 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Also remember they've probably had a shut over the new years break so it'd be safe to say this is the one time of the year to expect it to take longer than the norm

Yea true, i got an email from them stating my order would be processed on the 3rd, heres hoping to getting my sensors next week

• 2 weeks later...