Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Theft prevention tactics

Batbaruman

4 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

nek minit they break in just to steal the iphone and gap the scene. i suspect for this to work you'd want to hide it in a place that's really hard to access.

question about immobilisers. i have a 5 star car alarm, is the immobilizer good enough to stop someone from being able to take the care other than by towing it? its got a loud ass alarm siren too but i guess that is easily shut up by cutting the cable to it. famous last words but i'm not that concerned about anyone towing it away, more concerned about the smash and grab opportunist types

also have 1 locknut on each wheel and intend on putting the locknut somewhere a bit more secure too

5 star merely means the car has 2 immobilizers and a battery back up siren (and they're not even half as loud as a standard siren). Nothing will stop a smash and grab or a tow. 

As for lock nuts,  I recently bought a car that had one on each wheel and I didn't have the correct socker for them.  Took maybe an extra minute to get all 4 of them off.

13 hours ago, THUNDA said:

haha true that, would probably be best to hard wire an iphone carger to run on an accesory circuit, even run a wire and tuck it all behind the glove box or somethingso the phone just stays in there forever, always charging when the car is on

Yea thats exactly the idea, disable all notifications,sound and vibrations etc. just sits in there dormant as until you need it. 

• Admin

An alarm is only as good as the installer who put it in.

I could install a low-end alarm really, really well and it would be a very determined thief that took the time to bypass it.

Conversely, I've seen tons of "5 star" alarms (cough AVS cough cough cough) installed by complete morons. All the cuts in one place (steering column) and the alarm brain ziptied just above it. Lazy and a complete waste of time. I know a nasty trick or 2 that the pro's use if they can find the brain and it's bad news all round.

A good alarm, well installed, plus GPS tracking, plus don't park it in stupid places.

Depends how paranoid you are though.

Standard Subaru thievery goes like this. The crims all know this anyway so F*** it, it can go on the internet so you guys know how it goes too.

1. scope out the car to see if it looks like it's alarmed.

2. if it doesn't seem to be, break the monsoon off, pull the window out, slip your arm in and open the door. smash the ignition barrel, start it with a screwdriver, drive off

3. if it looks to be alarmed, smash the grill then twist the bonnet cable with pliers until it opens. 

4. if the alarm has a (working) bonnet pin, it will go off at this point.

5. find the siren and cut the wire. if the siren stops, win. Everyone will assume some dick just accidentally set their alarm off. If it doesn't, smash it off the firewall with a claw hammer then throw it down a bank, or, if you're really clever, drop it in a bucket of water

6. see step 2. Find the shittily installed alarm brain, yank it out and hotwire that sucker

This is Subaru Theft for Noobs. The crafty crims have some hella crafty techniques that I'm not going to share.

Mitigation: Hide your siren real good, make sure it's a battery backup one and make sure the battery backup actually works!!!!!

• Like 7

• Admin

So the best security feature would be to weld a steel monsoon guard over the windows? xD

Thanks @boon. Knowing the vunerabilities is key to knowing how to protect your car.

Totally agree with not parking it in stupid places. Always park in a well lit area preferably with high levels of foot and/or vehicular traffic.
Remember to use the built-in steering lock. Can always turn the wheels full lock to try to prevent easy loading onto a trailer etc.

• Like 2

• Admin
49 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Has anyone heard of 4th or even 5th gen Legacies being stolen? Never really bothered with putting an aftermarket alarm in 3.0 thinking factory immobiliser was good enough already.

Broken into; yes. Stolen; no.
Fortunately, car crime here hasn't reached the levels in the UK where they break into homes just to take car keys.

2 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

Unfortunately this does happen here now.

Ive heard if you tape an iphone to your keys and someone breaks into your house to steal them you can track their location (alot of thieves mistake phones for key rings) :P:P:P

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SpeedySub said:

I just attach my keys to the dog at night. Hard to steal a car with my keys when there is a dog attached. Only issue is if the dog runs away- then I have no keysxD

Ironic if the dog chases the guy trying to steal the car.

• Like 5

awesome, i'll try think up a crafty way to relocate my siren and supporting wiring somewhere hard to reach. haven't used the built in steering lock before as had a bad experience on an old car where it was ridiculously hard to undo, broke the key while doing so and had to call in a locksmith /fail.

will also try to research the model of alarm i have and find this alarm brain , relocate / hide and secure that away.

its hard to pick a 'safe' parking spot when you're going hiking out in random as places away from civilization unfortunately, hence the paranoia.

• Like 1

you can pickup gps trackers on ebay for like $30. Work well. Although if someone wants your car there is a certain method of stopping that gps unit from sending or recieving signals. 

I highly recommend everyone buys a gps and installs a kill switch.

There's a S*** tonne of cars going missing in chch atm. Literally 1 or 2 a week. Coupe's,v7's, shitbox wrx's (lol why bother stealing one of those). Although I have a sneaking suspicion that won't be continuing for much longer. Although I can't say for sure. All Ill; say is the ice is getting thin haha

• Like 4

Just to add I'm very worried wen I leave my cars any where I only installed an alarm for central locking and siren if my doors open and sensor. I got 4 kill switches, ball lock steering wheel remover!! I take my steering wheel with me lol😂😂 and full 12v key lock out and only the alarm is still live nothing else it will take you a while if you want to take it

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steviep168 said:

In my opinion if somebody (well shitbag) is determined to take your pride and joy then  no amount of security devices will stop them it will just slow them down....

Your absolutely correct there 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

5 Star alarm with standalone GPS tracker hidden in hard to access location. Siren hidden in unaccessible location without jacking up the car. Jacking up car = alarm to activate.

2 Kill switches. Another tip would be to disconnect the linkage on the key lock to stop them screwdriving the lock - only works if you have remote central locking.

• Like 4