Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil Reccomendations

Sam M

Hey guys,

Im driving an '03 2.0R legacy atm and its sucking through oil like there is no tomorrow. A mechanic friend told me to try different oils.

I've tried a few different brands of 5w30 (carbol fuchs, penrite, castrol..) and cant really find one that will last.

I service the thing religiously (every 3-3500km) but still use just over a litre of oil in that time..

There are no leaks, it doesnt seem to be directly burning the oil (ie. no black or blue smoke), and as of 1year ago all 4 cylinders were running at a decent relative compression ratio (1:100   2:95   3:97   4:97).

Any oil suggestions; or other suggestions as to what to look at would be greatly appreciated

Why bother with 3.5k changes? You're throwing good oil away.  Buy some decent oil and change every 10-15k or 12-18 months and top up as needed.

I would recommend Penrite 5w30 or 10w40.

There may be nothing wrong with your car or oil.  As a totally different comparison, I burn 1L per 1k and that is considered "normal" for my engine.

Edited by GorGasmSpecB

On 2/1/2017 at 9:55 PM, Sam M said:

I service the thing religiously (every 3-3500km) but still use just over a litre of oil in that time..

How are you driving the car ?

If you're tracking it for instance, it can burn a lot of oil

Edited by delta

Its a daily driver, but I do drive it hard from time to time. 

As for the oil, penrite seems to be burning faster than anything else (have tried it in 5w30 and 5w40). though castrol Ive only used in 5w30.

Going to the thicker oil isnt going to affect the pressure under load to drastically though is it? Oil pressure is already quite high (cold around 90-95psi 3k rpm; hot around 80psi at 3k rpm). But ive seen the pressure spike upto 100+ hot at higher revs (6-7k rpm) could be a faulty reading on the sender though.

Ill look into getting a leakdown test done. Cheers for the input guys.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Sam M said:

Also; thoughts on a catch can; will it help or just be a waste of money remembering this is an NA ej20.

Cheers

Pull the intake pipe off where it connects to the throttlebody and see if there's much oil in there. Unless there's a heap you'd be wasting your time and money bothering with a catchcan

• Like 1

• Admin
On 2/5/2017 at 1:48 PM, Sam M said:

Its a daily driver, but I do drive it hard from time to time. 

As for the oil, penrite seems to be burning faster than anything else (have tried it in 5w30 and 5w40). though castrol Ive only used in 5w30.

Going to the thicker oil isnt going to affect the pressure under load to drastically though is it? Oil pressure is already quite high (cold around 90-95psi 3k rpm; hot around 80psi at 3k rpm). But ive seen the pressure spike upto 100+ hot at higher revs (6-7k rpm) could be a faulty reading on the sender though.

Ill look into getting a leakdown test done. Cheers for the input guys.

Your pressure is already normal. It's not high. 

It's more than normal to see oil pressure around that 88 psi range (6 bar) when hot and 95 psi (6.5bar) when cold. 

My oil pressure idles around 2bar hot, then anywhere over 2k rpm is 6bar or more. 

Mine might go higher when around 6-7k rpm but Typically when I've been that high in the rpm range, I've been focusing on the road not oil pressure haha. I can pull logs from the Link and see if its around there but I'd say you've got nothing to worry about.

On 2/5/2017 at 3:03 PM, Andy_Mac said:

Pull the intake pipe off where it connects to the throttlebody and see if there's much oil in there. Unless there's a heap you'd be wasting your time and money bothering with a catchcan

tbh he shouldn't even need one. If his cars got that much blow by (really there shouldn't be), he's got other things to worry about imho. 

It's not a silly idea to have a look and see if there's a bit of oil in there though.

Using 1L of oil every 3500km is much too much. That's on par with my RA which had a oil control ring out of place on a couple of pistons.

Oil in the intake is not blow by, it is mist coming out of the breathers and condensing in the intake tract right? It is perfectly normal on a stock car driven hard. It is designed to do this to burn off the oil. The concern is that it lowers octane and makes the car more prone to detonation. I always have loads of oil in my intake. It is not ideal, but I don't think it's an indication of any problem in and of itself.

On 05/02/2017 at 1:54 PM, Sam M said:

Also; thoughts on a catch can; will it help or just be a waste of money remembering this is an NA ej20.

On my ej25 n/a it would always have some at the bottom of the torque box. It never worried me. Would just clean it out every couple of months and was only a few mils each time. Always assumed it was residue front the breather pipes.

1 hour ago, SpeedySub said:

On my ej25 n/a it would always have some at the bottom of the torque box. It never worried me. Would just clean it out every couple of months and was only a few mils each time. Always assumed it was residue front the breather pipes.

I might check my ej20 n/a torque box later on, I never seen inside mine... will be furthering my educationxD:P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...