Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ECU Remap - '07 Legacy GTB - Otago/Southland

csrgm1915

Hey team,

I've recently signed up to the forums for some tuning advice.

I currently own an Auto 07 Legacy GTB and I'm struggling to find information about or a garage within the Otago/Southland that can do an ECU remap to gain a little extra power/smoother gear changes.

A friend of mine has the 6 speed manual and it pains me to not feel the throw back into your seat experience I get from his (even when I use "sports sharp")

Currently based in Wanaka but I'm happy to go to Dunedin etc if need be.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hey there, 

I really can't offer a whole lot of advice but I can say where NOT to go and that's APET here in Dunedin.

Unless you want an undrivable bit of shite that chews through petrol like it's going out of fashion (even though they claimed it would be more economical) and is really only tuned for all out power, then I would steer well clear.  

After learning the hard way I ended up buying a Tactrix cable and getting an E-tune done via Dave at Cryotune, which I think is an awesome way of doing things if you want to learn a little yourself and nets you some great results too. 

I'm sure there'll be others that will back me up on that too. 

It seems that one of your only local options would be Rapid Performance in Timaru, which I know nothing about but have heard good things about and going off their FB page they look like they know what they're up to. 

Hope this helps but hopefully some of the more knowledgeable will pipe up and offer some advice. 

Good luck! 

Thanks tweedo, most definitely an informative post. I was going to have a look at the Tactrix cable / Cryotune route but wasn't too sure about the prices involved with buying the cable and the tune itself? 

Would you happen to know of any other resources in terms of performance gains with autos? I'm a little skeptical about the effects on the ecu with just buying forced air induction kits etc as I've strictly only driven manuals....NZ seems to be a hotbed for autos but I guess that stems from being so close to Japan etc. 

thansk again for your responce too! I'll try and read around Rapid Performance in Timaru too and send them a message and see what they offer in terms of ecu tweaks! 

Dean.

No worries Dean. 

I can't remember exactly what it cost me in the end (was awhile ago now) but was somewhere in the vicinity of $500 for both. 

As far as tuning of the autos is concerned I'm not sure as mine is a manual but there are obviously still good gains to be made, even without extras... (but better gains with).

It may be worth having a yarn to @Invisible as he's been through all of this with his auto. 

If you feel like a bit of light reading, have a squizz here... 

May be worth asking a question there too. 

Edited by tweedo

Well hello there :) 

As @tweedo mentioned I've been there and done many of that's with mine. In saying that it is pre-facelift, so don't have the fancy SI drive thingy knob

I personally found that getting an exhaust (turbo back) helped heaps in terms of bum in seat dyno lol and I was happy for a while, until my engine decided it had enough.

Now I'm running a new motor and have had it tuned it is way more exciting and pulls much better! 
Have a look through my build thread (should be a link in my signature) for more details etc. and if you have any questions ask away :) 

Edited by Invisible
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, csrgm1915 said:

I’ve finally got around to getting my tune (this Monday) so I’ll let you know how I get on

Autos seem to be problematic either for some tuners or in general.. I fully recommend checking the Learned Values in the ECU, if you are seeing lots of negative numbers that's not good,  I think this would give an indication of overall health.  If you find even in sport # it doesn't have punch then it might already be down on power/health.   My engine popped on the dyno, new EJ207 short block + recond heads and '000s later its back to just above stock power levels

2rypris.jpg

Edited by killervq30de
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, killervq30de said:

Autos seem to be problematic either for some tuners or in general.. I fully recommend checking the Learned Values in the ECU, if you are seeing lots of negative numbers that's not good,  I think this would give an indication of overall health.  If you find even in sport # it doesn't have punch then it might already be down on power/health.   My engine popped on the dyno, new EJ207 short block + recond heads and '000s later its back to just above stock power levels

2rypris.jpg

Is it possible to check learning values through a OBDii unit or would I need to have th cable and BTSSM? I imagine th tuner will have all option.

I haven’t had a compression test done since purchasing the car but I think that being slow may be because it’s an automatic. The guys at Rapid are supposed to be really good and shouldn’t tune it to blow up (hopefully)

My question for those who have had tunes.... can you edit SI Drive maps individually (so eco is mellow and sport sharp goes mental) or is it made up of increasing all 3 settings? 

Im pretty excited for Monday though, updates to follow for sure

16 minutes ago, csrgm1915 said:

Is it possible to check learning values through a OBDii unit or would I need to have th cable and BTSSM? I imagine th tuner will have all option.

I haven’t had a compression test done since purchasing the car but I think that being slow may be because it’s an automatic. The guys at Rapid are supposed to be really good and shouldn’t tune it to blow up (hopefully)

My question for those who have had tunes.... can you edit SI Drive maps individually (so eco is mellow and sport sharp goes mental) or is it made up of increasing all 3 settings? 

Im pretty excited for Monday though, updates to follow for sure

You need to use BTSSM like tool or what ever the tuner uses.   With SI Drive yes you can .. I have different requested boost levels for the different modes.

If they do start seeing knock when it gets up above 5k .. I dunno i'd  tune it to low safe then leave it alone.  They will of course stop if starts knocking where it shouldn't but just be extra wary based on other peoples experiences.  Manual's seem to tune different to the autos. Not sure if maybe a rolling road instead of hub dyno wouldn't be better too

Oh and 3-port boost solenoid gives the tuner better control.. maybe consider adding that before starting

Edited by killervq30de
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, killervq30de said:

You need to use BTSSM like tool or what ever the tuner uses.   With SI Drive yes you can .. I have different requested boost levels for the different modes.

If they do start seeing knock when it gets up above 5k .. I dunno i'd  tune it to low safe then leave it alone.  They will of course stop if starts knocking where it shouldn't but just be extra wary based on other peoples experiences.  Manual's seem to tune different to the autos. Not sure if maybe a rolling road instead of hub dyno wouldn't be better too

Oh and 3-port boost solenoid gives the tuner better control.. maybe consider adding that before starting

Cheers! The tuners installing my GS 3 port boost solenoid/downpipe/GFB respons prior to tuning so I think it will be in safe hands. I'll try and get some dyno info and diagnostics to bring back to the forums. It'll also be interesting about the knock around 5k as someone else has also mentioned it.

Im not wanting to go over kill at this stage, I just want decent/practical daily/sleeper, especially being in an alpine environment 

@killervq30de

I got back from the tune last night. The guys at Rapid we’re really friendly and helpful when I dropped the car off and were happy to install the parts too.

...as @Andy_Mac had warned me about with the auto turbos, there was a lot of knock when they were trying to tune it down low, so there wasn’t huge gains there, but overall there was a nice smooth gain especially at the top end. My car had lost a few horses over the years too, it was only running about 155hp and was 200hp after the tune and installation of the  downpipe/boost solenoid.

I will admit though that the top end now is amazing, it holds the boost really well and thing really flies up to 230 kmph with ease.

Whilst tuning they also noticed I had a slight leak on my radiator and so it limited the tune a little as they didn’t want to make it unsafe. I’ll swap it out this week and it will be fine though.

If you are tuning these go for 98 if you can (I only did 95) they are tuned in Japan for 100 octane and so 95 isn’t ideal. I’ve also seen an 07 LGTB being tuned on 98 gaining 15/20 kw more than what mine did which is insane good!

Overall, I’m happy with the tune/mod combination. I do think I’ll keep my Wagon until after winter/early 2019 and look at selling it and keeping an eye out for a well looked after 08-09 Impreza hatch, but I change my mind all of the time!

Edited by csrgm1915
  • Like 5

• Admin

280hp at the engine for the Jap ones on 100octane fuel, his readings are what the dyno puts out which are at the wheels.

He’s at 150wkw which is pretty good for an auto on 95 fuel

At a guess you’d get anywhere between 160-180wkw depending on fuel, air temp and auto/manual.

18 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

280hp at the engine for the Jap ones on 100octane fuel, his readings are what the dyno puts out which are at the wheels.

He’s at 150wkw which is pretty good for an auto on 95 fuel

At a guess you’d get anywhere between 160-180wkw depending on fuel, air temp and auto/manual.

Yup as Andy has said, it’s at the wheels. I think they said its now at about 188kw/255hp at the engine 

Out of curiosity Andy, would you think there would be significant gains to tune to 98? They did say any re-tweaks would be fairly inexpensive so the thought has crossed my mind for later in the year. I’m just thinking if it’s worth it in terms of low down gains or if they will be knock etc.

Edited by csrgm1915

• Admin

Hard to say. Any other Subaru you’d say definitely worth it as the increase is considerable but for the auto ones of these it’s a hard one to call.

Sure the knock resistance of 98 should allow increased timing but the way these high compression engines mated to auto’s knock is problematic. Could gain a heap or almost nothing at all.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Quickly bring this thread back up. Having my car tuned in the next couple months. Just trying to sort who is going to do the tune - with in the south island. I'm currently thinking Rapid Performance. But are there any other suggestions? 

Cheers

Depends how far you’re willing to go. [mention=186]gotasuby[/mention] is the south island Subaru expert tuner. He might be able to point you to his next best competitor closer to where you are if travelling to CHCH isn't a possibility.

Oh awesome, Chch is definitely possible I’m up there all the time. So that could work out perfectly. Does he have a shop name where I can contact him through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk