Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bh park lights issue

cuscogtb

Hey guys

My park light on the bh aren't working. All other lights are working fine. 

I have changed bulbs, checked fuses but still no go. 

Got out the multimeter and doesn't seem to be any power going to the park lights?

unsure what to check next. Any advice would be helpful. 

Cheers

• Admin

Leave the car turned off, turn the park lights on via the switch on top of the stearing column and then start tracing the circuit with the multimeter, start at the plugs for the bulbs and then run back to the fuses etc.
If no power, try turning the car on and using the park light switch on the headlight/indicator stalk.
And then again with the fog light switch.

Number plate lights also out?

they all run off a fuse separate to the other lights.

Check fuse #5 in the fuse box under your right knee.

That then goes through the parking switch on the steering column -- in the off position, it powers through that switch from the 'tail and illumination' relay in the knee-fuse box, in the on position, connects to main fuse # 7 under the hood.

Edited by duncanm

• General Member

there's a switch on top of the steering column?

Lol's just kidding (you did mention that) there's an ancient inside ClubSUB joke there, most people ask how they turn them off AFTER accidentally turning them ON cleaning the interior of their car

but for reals people use these? or did you fail a wof or somethings?

either way stink they dont work, have you replaced any bulbs with LED's or anything like that recently ie Headlights HID's / or fiddled with a turbo timer or under dash things

heck yea could even be rats with a taste for plastic, either way let us know what you find when you do eh

check each bulb individually for 'working / continuity maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys but unfortunately still no go. Duncanm you are correct the number plate lights are out as well. 

Here's what I've done so far.

Checked #5 fuse under dash and was all good.

Checked #7 under the bonnet and it was good.

Removed each relay under the dash, under the fuse box and tested with a working relay but still no luck. 

What to check next? Could it be a faulty switch on top of the steering wheel?

When I flick on the switch on top of the steering wheel all that lights up are the tail lights

Damn still no go. Checked connectors to park lights and plate lights and all seem ok - no sign of any damage. 

I bypassed the switch on top of the steering wheel but unfortunately Park and plate lights still don't light up. Put the multimeter on the bulb connectors and no power going to them. 

Not sure what to do next. Might have to fork out and get an auto sparky to look at it?

• Admin
On 2/25/2017 at 0:43 AM, duncanm said:

odd -- plate light should be on same circuit as rear tail lights. They share both power and GND.

Only thing is to run through all the connectors/plugs between the fuse and the lights, as 1random suggested

Just to clairfy; plate lights will turn on with the parks/headlights on the indicator stalk but not with the switch on top of the steering wheel.

Somethings disconnected somewhere then :/ 

Yes you are right. My mistake I thought the column switch controlled the plate lights. Plate lights work fine just the parks are not working. 

I will start tracing the wiring to the park lights and hopefully find something obvious there. Cheers for your help guys