Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ej20g to v2 sti engine swap 1996 wrx wagon

D3VINE

Hey guys, I'm a new member to site also fairly new to the Subaru scene.

I have 1996 wrx wagon with an Ej20g engine fairly stock except for a upgraded turbo to a tdo5 from tdo4 and a front mount intercooler. 

The engine now has major rod knock so I have purchased a complete minus turbo/intercooler v2 sti engine. I just have a few concerns and any help would be much appreciated.

So from what I've been told and found I should be able to use my intake afm etc swap it over to the sti and that should be fine?

Will it be fine to use the current ecu in the wrx to run the sti engine with the parts swapped over? I understand that it would have been tuned for the tdo4 and the original motor but will it cause any issues with the engine? 

Reason be the wrx has a 3 plug ecu and I think the v2 sti is 4 plug.

Not looking to make any huge power will only be running at standard boost just wanting to get it alive once again

Any help or advice, tricks, tips even for the swap itself is much appreciated!! 

Tia

1996 should be 4 plug ecu unless stuff's been changed or it's regd wrong, and all the same sensors/injectors. Same engine with beefier cams basically. Ecu should be able to run it but it's not ideal/could cause issues . Sti ecu is a good upgrade and not usually to pricey. 

What code is on your ecu? 

17 hours ago, slystiguy said:

1996 should be 4 plug ecu unless stuff's been changed or it's regd wrong, and all the same sensors/injectors. Same engine with beefier cams basically. Ecu should be able to run it but it's not ideal/could cause issues . Sti ecu is a good upgrade and not usually to pricey. 

What code is on your ecu? 

Some 96 were V3. Think the switch happens in later part of year as my V5 was 98.

The 4b ecu was used for wagons that came out with the auto tranny and tdo4 I believe, but it has since been swapped to manual and tdo5. Will see how it runs once it's in with the 4b ecu but will definitely get a sti ecu asap. Will the v2 ecu be the ideal one to get or is their a later one that would be even better? Cheers

matching ecu for matching motor and mods

if you have a td05, ideally want an ecu that is expecting to run enough fuel for a td05

Theres a list somewhere online that tells you all the ECUS and what they expect to run - injectors - turbos etc

• Like 1