Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VF23 on the way out?

viperguy

Well howdy all,

I suspect my VF23 is on the way out, theres a distinct rattle coming from the turbo area that sounds like a loose metal cover (although theres no covers nearby as I've removed the heatshield any years back). Theres no scary sounds audible when driving, I just catch it when idling at the lights etc

The noise comes and goes with RPM changes and I'm not noticing the smooth ball bearing turbo spool-down whine Im used to when I turn the car off. Power is the same as I can tell, theres no noticeable changes in how boost comes on or is kept, just the rattling noise, oil changes have always been at 5000 with 5w30 Castrol Edge. Turbo has in my estimate ~160k on it

So seeing as I just had a cam belt damage scare caused by a bolt that came loose and bounced around inside my cam covers I'm very cautious about funny noises now and a grenading turbo  is not something I want to deal with...

So I guess my question is: What can I actually replace these good old things with nowadays that isn't like hunting for a unicorn? Im not chasing more power, just something that comes on about the same time (or lower) and carries that power up to 6500 or so.

Cheers everyone

51 minutes ago, ADIKT said:

Sounds like a heatshield rattle - I know you said you have removed the heat shield (I assume this to be the downpipe/turbo heatshield) but did you remove the shields on the headers also? 

headers are all stock, did have a new stainless turbo-back system thrown on by Midas last week which included a new up-pipe, but I'm pretty sure I'd been hearing some noises before that...maybe I'll throw the car on the wheel ramps this weekend and go hunting before I get too depressed (or hopeful?) :) 

21 minutes ago, GC8E2DD said:

But what about the shields on the actual headers as ADIKT mentioned?

all there as far as I know :P noise seems very turbo-area-centric, I'd have thought a header shield rattle might sound a bit more "everywhere" in the engine bay being down under the engine...but i guess the downpipe area is a natural place for under-car sounds to resonate up through....

Yeah, it might just be telegraphing up the uppipe. They are fairly easy to reach with the car on the ground and give a poke here and there. Feel around for the bolts as some are held in place by several and it might be a bolt rather than the shield itself that is rattling!

no need to wait, I found the issue after a little poking and prodding and banging around: Sticking wastegate!

mechanism is really stiff and the spring tension does'nt appear to be enough to close it fully so its just resting there rattling away at idle but if I pushed it closed its whisper quiet.

So I guess does anyone have any hints and tips they've found that work well before I go crazy with the finest lubricants money can buy :P

• Like 1

• Admin
14 hours ago, viperguy said:

no need to wait, I found the issue after a little poking and prodding and banging around: Sticking wastegate!

mechanism is really stiff and the spring tension does'nt appear to be enough to close it fully so its just resting there rattling away at idle but if I pushed it closed its whisper quiet.

So I guess does anyone have any hints and tips they've found that work well before I go crazy with the finest lubricants money can buy :P

Probably time for a new actuator really.

Pick-A-Part 

If the Wastegate is actually stiff then you might need a new housing. I have a P20 and P18 lying around. also a spare actuator assembly if you get desperate. You can often find blown VFs for under 100 

Edited by A_J_T

2 hours ago, A_J_T said:

Pick-A-Part 

If the Wastegate is actually stiff then you might need a new housing. I have a P20 and P18 lying around. also a spare actuator assembly if you get desperate. You can often find blown VFs for under 100 

@evowrx what you got lying around bro

could someone snap a pic of how far their actuator pivots the wastegate arm....I just want to double check that this new downpipe i got installed isnt interfering with the wastegate opening fully as I cant remember how far it used to move.... :/

wastegate arm is currently rotating about 30-45 degrees at full actuator extension at a guess...but I've yet to go for gold at freeing it up and getting it moving smoothly

awesome, cheers heaps for that, just like mine is doing

on the plus side, it took sweet f**k all wd40 to get the actuator arm moving smooth as butter, just squirted a bunch of it up into where the arm comes out and a bit down the housing pivot and cycled it a bunch of times, feels good as new and no more rattling at idle

not looking forward to the smoke tomorrow though :D

so drama over thankfully

• Like 2