Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2005 Outback ECO mode?

Tez

Just got a 2005 outback and wanting to know what eco mode does. When on it lights up on dash but when i use a certain amount of throttle it flicks off then on again when i take my foot off. Should i be using ECO mode? If so how and when should i have it turned on?

Yeah still does the same thing. 

Basically, you have 2 throttle maps. Its an electronic throttle, so foot flat in eco mode only gives you about 60% of the total throttle opening. 

Great thanks so even tho the eco light has gone out when at " full throttle" for instance its still limiting compared to when completely tuned off using the button. Is this correct? Also thanks for your help it's new to me

Yeah, it seems to roll/ ramp into throttle input rather than jumping to whatever you've depressed to immediately. Not sure about the Outback but our BP5 had the light go out above 3000rpm regardless of throttle input. It still seemed to be dulling response though which is good for economy obviously. We virtually never turned it off around town.

Yeah, it seems to roll/ ramp into throttle input rather than jumping to whatever you've depressed to immediately. Not sure about the Outback but our BP5 had the light go out above 3000rpm regardless of throttle input. It still seemed to be dulling response though which is good for economy obviously. We virtually never turned it off around town.

Yea my light gos out around the 3000rpm mark aswell. I will keep it on unless i need the power i guess

Correct, eco mode doesnt always light up but is a slow and incomplete throttle map.

Sport (or non eco) is a lot snappier but requires you to actually get it there. 

If its a tiptronic, knocking across to tiptronic forces full time "non eco" mode too

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Divine said:

In my 3.0R, Eco mode = 400k's to a tank

non ECO mode = 450k's

Seems that because it takes longer to get the rev's high enough to change gear, it's actually using more fuel lmao. 

Interesting, what type of driving are you mostly doing? I'm mainly crawling in AKL traffic so I wonder if I will get similar results...

1 minute ago, willisnz said:

Interesting, what type of driving are you mostly doing? I'm mainly crawling in AKL traffic so I wonder if I will get similar results...

Mixture, but the same trips for both tanks of fuel: some crawling in traffic in chch, and late night driving where there is no traffic. 

1 minute ago, GC8E2DD said:

You are probably giving it more welly to compensate for the dulled response. ECO mode will help when you're actually trying to drive economically.

Hmmmm, I wonder how much the eco theory translates to driving in stop/start congested traffic. I generally try and drive economically, but the dulled response could totally be making me over compensate..i.e. traffic starts moving again so I accelerate, but bugger all is happening so put the foot down a little bit more.  Also, I often have to make semi aggressive lane changes, sometimes from a stationary position, so I'm pretty certain I'll be over compensating there.

I leave mine on all the time usually. If I need more power for over taking or quick response I flick it over to tiptronic mode.

I once tried to drive a whole trip with the Eco light one. Failed as I had to get onto the motorway and couldn't keep it under 3k rpm. Also I felt like a granddad driving on a Sunday afternoon- painfully slow.

I haven't tried Eco vs normal for a tank of gas, may try it one day to compare.

On 4/10/2017 at 10:04 AM, Kiwi_Fozze said:

If its a tiptronic, knocking across to tiptronic forces full time "non eco" mode too

Unless you have a facelift :) then you can be in tiptronic and in 'intelligent' mode 

On 2017-4-9 at 7:47 PM, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Yeah still does the same thing. 

Basically, you have 2 throttle maps. Its an electronic throttle, so foot flat in eco mode only gives you about 60% of the total throttle opening. 

So I take it then that the only difference between non eco mode and sport mode would be gear changes? As in sport had a higher rpm limit for changes

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, ADIKT said:

Unless you have a facelift :) then you can be in tiptronic and in 'intelligent' mode 

Intelligent mode is a bit disappointing.. if you putt around in Intelligent mode and then have an Oh Sh!t moment and need to pull a head or change lanes, floor the gas and there is nothing there ..  It should reduce the sensitivity of normal throttle usage but if you go WOT it should be intelligent and go back to Sport until you let off

4 hours ago, killervq30de said:

Intelligent mode is a bit disappointing.. if you putt around in Intelligent mode and then have an Oh Sh!t moment and need to pull a head or change lanes, floor the gas and there is nothing there ..  It should reduce the sensitivity of normal throttle usage but if you go WOT it should be intelligent and go back to Sport until you let off

I agree. One of the reasons why I hardly use it these days

So did a bit of experimenting on they way to pick the kids up last night.

So what I have learned is that the Eco mode seems to be only for a very small amount of travel of the pedal.

It seems to keep it in Eco mode when the throttle is only partially depressed, once it goes past that point it switches back to normal.

I think the idea is when you are cruising with light throttle inputs its economical and saving gas, when you need some more power and depress further it kicks it out of Eco.