Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru Coolant

Tried googling it but couldn't find what I wanted.

I want to replace coolant and flush (v7 sti) it but I dont know what coolant to buy, some say to get Subaru coolant but I cant find it anywhere... 

• Like 1

I thought there wasn't anything magic about coolant? Others will know better and I my car isn't high performance so I've just used stuff from SCA in my shitty BH wagon that has leaks when I have needed to top it up.

If you are DIYing work out how you are going to dispose of the old fluid first...can't just drop it at SCA/Repco like you can engine oil.

1 hour ago, evowrx said:

Yes there is some magic but not with Subaru. Drain it out and fill it with green coolant.

So I drain the radiator and the milk bottle and then fill them both back up to their correct level? I guess ill have to bleed it too.

Do I need to do a flush the engine with distilled water through it for 10 mins?

Head into your local Supercheap and buy Green Nulon coolant.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Nulon-Long-Life-Anti-Freeze-Anti-Boil-Concentrate-6-Litre/384350 <----Link to Product

Your car should be that same as mine which means your need a total of 7.5L total fluid in the radiator so what you wanna do is have a 1:2 mixing ratio..

In simple terms for every Litre of coolant add 2 Litres of water/ Add 2.5L of coolant concentrate and 5L of water

In terms of a flush, all i used was the 10 minute flush by Rislone because the water was all brown and gross. Real good stuff and gets rid of all the crap.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Rislone-Radiator-10-Minute-Flush-355mL/290448<----Link to Product

With this you add all of it in and top it up with just water and wait till you are at operating temperature, while its warming up give your heater hoses a bit of a squeeze just so you get the rust and dried crap off the inside of your hoses

Once its running nice and you have squeezed as much as you can then turn the motor off, Wait a few minutes, open your radiator cap SLOWLY then let it drain out. Once its finished add the coolant in and top it up with water, once it has reached the top leave the radiator cap off, start the car and bleed the coolant of all air, once thats sorted then chuck the cap back on and you are sorted. What i usually do is take it for a little drive with a bottle of water in the back just incase. Thats pretty much the jist of it anyway.

Any other questions feel free to ask :)

• Like 3

Bleeding can be a bit of a pain and it is recommended to use some kind of magic bleading funnel thing at a cost of a million dollars. 

What I do with reasonable success is to park on a slight incline (5-10 degress) with the front end elevated, fill with coolent and leave running. Crank heater to hot with fan on and run through at least two radiator fan cycles. Grab a rag so you don't burn yourself and squeeze the top raditior hose through this process and you'll see air bubbles coming up through the header tank. Leave the radiator cap off throughout. Top off as required and you should be sweet.

My research into Subaru coolant led me to believe it is supposed to be phosphate and amine free for compatibility/corrosion.

I'm pretty sure the green Nulon product ticks these boxes (and is what I put in anyway).

And when I went to Armstrongs Subaru for coolant down here they sold me Motul.

Edited by Jono24
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Those funnels cost $30 or so from BNT on special. Subaruspeed/Strongs also sell them iirc just a bit more expensive as they are just reselling them.

That's like a box of lion browns and a packet of winny blues.. that's a good night right there

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boyracer693 said:

Head into your local Supercheap and buy Green Nulon coolant.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Nulon-Long-Life-Anti-Freeze-Anti-Boil-Concentrate-6-Litre/384350 <----Link to Product

Your car should be that same as mine which means your need a total of 7.5L total fluid in the radiator so what you wanna do is have a 1:2 mixing ratio..

In simple terms for every Litre of coolant add 2 Litres of water/ Add 2.5L of coolant concentrate and 5L of water

In terms of a flush, all i used was the 10 minute flush by Rislone because the water was all brown and gross. Real good stuff and gets rid of all the crap.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Rislone-Radiator-10-Minute-Flush-355mL/290448<----Link to Product

With this you add all of it in and top it up with just water and wait till you are at operating temperature, while its warming up give your heater hoses a bit of a squeeze just so you get the rust and dried crap off the inside of your hoses

Once its running nice and you have squeezed as much as you can then turn the motor off, Wait a few minutes, open your radiator cap SLOWLY then let it drain out. Once its finished add the coolant in and top it up with water, once it has reached the top leave the radiator cap off, start the car and bleed the coolant of all air, once thats sorted then chuck the cap back on and you are sorted. What i usually do is take it for a little drive with a bottle of water in the back just incase. Thats pretty much the jist of it anyway.

Any other questions feel free to ask :)

Thanks for the info.

so when I use the flush, should I just keep the old coolant in the car, add the flush plus water to top it off then run engine?

• 1 year later...
  • General Member