Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dream(ing) Machine

This is a bit of a dream of mine (and by no means do I have the money to do it), but I have seen a Japanese dude on instagram (@junya1730) who dailys an actual ex-wrc subaru coupe. It got me thinking- how would you achieve this in NZ? Forget driveability of the current engine as it would need to be tuned accordingly but I love the look of the S12 hawk-eye model wrc model. Hell, I even love the S10 (I think) blob-eye model too! Money would solve everything but lets hear your comments! Tarmac spec wrc car rolling down the road ready to put the shits up anything it comes across!

• Like 1

His has an S204 engine in it, very streetable.
It's also chassis #31
The vantage wrc Subaru that's still here is also chassis #31
Did they make two #31 chassis?

There's a kid down the road from my work making a replica wrc 22B as well, Project 22B (can't remember exactly) on instagram

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Admin

The WRC cars aren't really that fast as road-cars go, breathing through a straw will do that to you. They only make about 300hp, impressive but not earth-shattering torque figures as well. Put it this way, you would get your arse handed to you by a Commodore with a cam or an Evo with a boost tap.

You could widebody a Spec C and spend $20k on suspension followed by another $20k on brakes and you would be most of the way there. Add a cage and some nice seats, steering wheel and a pedal box if you really wanted for that authentic racecar feel.

A lot of the changes they make do f*ck all for performance, they're just there to stop the car falling to bits during a rally stage. They do get some very trick driveline components though, and the gearbox is a work of art.

They move the strut towers so you couldn't quite achieve the same geometry with a regular car.

In terms of importing and getting one road-legal-ified... tricky, as I dare say they don't meet any of our regulations for impact or emissions.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, boon said:

The WRC cars aren't really that fast as road-cars go, breathing through a straw will do that to you. They only make about 300hp, impressive but not earth-shattering torque figures as well. Put it this way, you would get your arse handed to you by a Commodore with a cam or an Evo with a boost tap.

You could widebody a Spec C and spend $20k on suspension followed by another $20k on brakes and you would be most of the way there. Add a cage and some nice seats, steering wheel and a pedal box if you really wanted for that authentic racecar feel.

A lot of the changes they make do f*ck all for performance, they're just there to stop the car falling to bits during a rally stage. They do get some very trick driveline components though, and the gearbox is a work of art.

They move the strut towers so you couldn't quite achieve the same geometry with a regular car.

In terms of importing and getting one road-legal-ified... tricky, as I dare say they don't meet any of our regulations for impact or emissions.

True that mate. But imagine getting rid of the restrictor and/or giving it new mods to make it more streetable and faster. Granted a lot of the work done to them is to help durability in a rally but how badarse would the real thing be compared to converting a standard issue (or spec c as you say) rolling around. Yes compliance would be a bitch. Probably the only real hard part to make road legal. I wonder if you used a fully compliant (NZ) engine and then modified that, would it be deemed emissions compliant?

If I had the dollars I would be sorting my own spec c into a widebody monster but alas I didn't purchase my lotto ticket from Thames.

2 hours ago, boon said:

I think you miss the purpose of a WRC car, which is to go over any sort of roads at great speed, with unreal suspension travel to soak up virtually any surface and turn and stop better than anything else. And have massive grip. To get point to point you won't go quicker, as long as point to point involves some proper corners...

All these things mean that it is utterly wasted on the road and as you say, in a straight line not that quick. Although I would say upto 200km/hr they would still eat your average road car due to the gearbox shift speed, lack of lag and ability to get off the line quickly... Ohh and don't believe the 300hp BS, even the modern 1.6L ones running a tiny 32mm restrictor made more than that (have now gone up to bigger restrictor and more power since).

Either way, the guy driving one on the road has clearly got too much money or a really small willy that he needs to compensate for. It's a travesty that the car isn't being used properly... But I would say that, as I am a little biased and get frustrated about how many people pose in performance cars, when they should be out racing their cars and using that performance.

Grumpy old man racer rant over.

• Like 9

• Admin
13 hours ago, Munkvy said:

I think you miss the purpose of a WRC car, which is to go over any sort of roads at great speed, with unreal suspension travel to soak up virtually any surface and turn and stop better than anything else. And have massive grip. To get point to point you won't go quicker, as long as point to point involves some proper corners...

All these things mean that it is utterly wasted on the road and as you say, in a straight line not that quick. Although I would say upto 200km/hr they would still eat your average road car due to the gearbox shift speed, lack of lag and ability to get off the line quickly... Ohh and don't believe the 300hp BS, even the modern 1.6L ones running a tiny 32mm restrictor made more than that (have now gone up to bigger restrictor and more power since).

Either way, the guy driving one on the road has clearly got too much money or a really small willy that he needs to compensate for. It's a travesty that the car isn't being used properly... But I would say that, as I am a little biased and get frustrated about how many people pose in performance cars, when they should be out racing their cars and using that performance.

Grumpy old man racer rant over.

Sure you can go faster point to point. The WRC cars are built to meet a very specific bunch of rules; if you throw that rulebook out the window you can probably build a faster car for much less $$. I bet the old Macbilt 22b that's kicking around on here would be quicker on a sealed surface, and it probably cost about the same as 1 WRC gearbox.

And I absolutely believe the 300hp stuff for the old ones (the newer ones make closer to 400) - there is no breaking the laws of physics (though WRC cars do try very hard) and flow dynamics says with the boost and rpm limits they have to work with, combined with the restrictor, they would have a very hard time flowing even 400cfm, less than the flow of any decent VF series turbo let alone anything vaguely serious. I still think an Evo with a boost tap would whup one in a drag race if you drove it like an animal.

And while it's been hashed out before, the "you have a fast car so you should race it" thing is stupid. Some people just enjoy modifying cars. Some people like having a fast road car. Racing is very very very expensive, you will break stuff, no doubt about it. I've been driving my relatively fast car on the road for 3 years now and it's finally cracked the manifold, but I've really enjoyed it not being broken for such a long time.

Your weekend hoon car should have some theatre, some ridiculousness. It should be low and uncomfortable and dumb. I want to change my driver's seat to a proper race style fixed-back bucket seat because it will be less comfortable and a thousand times more posery and never see a racetrack, ever, and every time I hop in the car I will feel like it's a little bit special and not just a slightly faster version of my daily. If having a cage you have to clamber over and a 5 point harness it takes you 10 minutes to get in and out of makes your Sunday backroad racer feel a little more special then that's a perfectly valid reason to have one, in my opinion.

Impractical boyracer hoon rant over.

• Like 2

For what it's worth the same applies to any car built to a set of rules - every second lap time you see in NZ ior AUS s compared to the V8SC times but they're massively hobbled by their regulations

Don't the WRC cars make that 300hp at like almost all RPM though? 

• Like 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Marky said:

For what it's worth the same applies to any car built to a set of rules - every second lap time you see in NZ ior AUS s compared to the V8SC times but they're massively hobbled by their regulations

Don't the WRC cars make that 300hp at like almost all RPM though? 

I don't think they make the HP right across the board, but they have a torque spread that would make a lot of V8's blush. You'll get that from running 22psi at all RPMs and a shitload of compression.

• Like 1

Nobody actually knows what a Subaru WRC car will make unrestricted though right? Perhaps Prodrive or some private rally team. Anywho, the expense of Clubsport racing is often massively over stated and/ or overestimated. Also, even with a slower less modified cheaper Clubsport car you will be driving faster and for longer at speed than even the most highly modified road car; unless you are one of the F***wits drifting around my neighbourhood at 3am on a Tuesday morning. In that case, I hope you stack it, lose your license, get the car crushed, lose your job, get shamed in the newspaper, and get community service plus pay reparations.

• Like 1

That doesn't make sense

You remove the restrictor and they gain much hp

There's heaps of guys who run cars in classes that require a restrictor one week and remove it for events that don't the next - they just make *less* when restricted

It's like how kenyan marathon runners have the restrictor of high altitude - when you derestrict them with sea level oxygen it's not like they have a meltdown they just go faster 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marky said:

That doesn't make sense

You remove the restrictor and they gain much hp

There's heaps of guys who run cars in classes that require a restrictor one week and remove it for events that don't the next - they just make *less* when restricted

It's like how kenyan marathon runners have the restrictor of high altitude - when you derestrict them with sea level oxygen it's not like they have a meltdown they just go faster 

They gain hp sure but not comparable to a car built with no restrictor in mind. Take the heads for example they are built around low cfm and high velocity rather than massive cfm. Same goes for cams.

• Like 1

Yeah but, still

You'd then have a car making 450hp at 3k rather than 300hp at 3k

I'm not sure what the argument is to be fair, they're built around regulations and as you said it has a purpose in mind (maximising performance with that restrictor)

For the same cost you could build an S2000 with a twin churbro viper V10 in it 

Or a monster truck which can do backflips

Or like at least 8 jokeravengers and a batbaru

Or half a holiday house at the mount 

Or an ex russian jet fighter 

I go back to the "compare it to a V8 supercar" analogy - sure you can pick something to model against but that thing has rules to adhere to, if you ignore them then you'll find it very easy to surpass the thing you're comparing to 

• Admin

The turbos are comparatively small. Why on earth would you have the lag of a 650cfm turbo when you can only flow 400cfm through the restrictor? As mentioned the turbos are probably designed around lower flows at high pressure ratios, as will be the heads and to an extent the exhaust setup.

I expect they have ridiculously high volumetric efficiency and I know they run extremely high compression for a turbocharged car; if you took the restrictor away I would expect them to make somewhere in the realms of 500hp on race gas - which you can do with some bolton mods. Admittedly it doesn't get the power to the ground in the same way.

For the same money as a WRC setup I would rather modify the S*** out of a Spec C, then buy a McLaren as well. Probably end up with 2 faster cars.

This is such a ridiculous conversation, but for interests sake ... If I gave you $250k NZD, are you saying you could buy a McLaren, and with the change modify a standard road going Spec C, and then beat this car point to point on a WRC stage with both cars? Because Prodrive was clearly throwing away money on expensive stickers or something. Just wondering.

http://subaruwrcspares.com/resources/P55+SRT+sale.pdf

• Admin
19 minutes ago, GC8E2DD said:

This is such a ridiculous conversation, but for interests sake ... If I gave you $250k NZD, are you saying you could buy a McLaren, and with the change modify a standard road going Spec C, and then beat this car point to point on a WRC stage with both cars? Because Prodrive was clearly throwing away money on expensive stickers or something. Just wondering.

http://subaruwrcspares.com/resources/P55+SRT+sale.pdf

Assuming I spent $200k on, say, a Mc MP4-12C and then $50k on buying and modifying a Spec C, yeah, I would have 2 cars that would kill the S*** out of a WRC car on a (very) smooth tarmac stage.

Well I might need a slightly larger budget. $270k or so.

EDIT: Yeah, $70k for the STI would do it; I'd probably spend $65k on BT's racecar then $5k putting the biggest turbo I could fit on it.

EDIT EDIT: The reason Prodrive spend a brasquillion dollars on the cars is because the power playing field was damn near flat, so they had to find tiny little gains everywhere they could. Plus reliability on heinous dirt roads costs a LOT of money, have you seen the suspension components they run? The solution to beating them is to absolutely smash them to bits where they cannot fight back; outright power. With the budget we're talking about, spent intelligently, you could get 800hp+

Another option; http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1331458518.htm - $30k for 650whp (probably right around 800fwhp) and then you have $40k to spend on some super wanked suspension and brakes.

1 hour ago, boon said:

Assuming I spent $200k on, say, a Mc MP4-12C and then $50k on buying and modifying a Spec C, yeah, I would have 2 cars that would kill the S*** out of a WRC car on a (very) smooth tarmac stage.

Does $200k buy you one of the warped carbon tub MP4-12Cs or is that enough to buy a straight one? I'm not really up to date on my Mclaren pricing.