Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

JDM V11 Power Goals....Inputs?

3 minutes ago, boon said:

My comments there (re. 55lb/min turbo) refer to the 3.0XTR; worse spool and the same top end as a 1.5 or 2.5, seeing as the tune will end up limiting the car to maybe 270wkw for safety reasons. It will still be fast as feck but you will get more area under the curve with a smaller turbo (1.5 or 2.5) because the curve will rise earlier to the same end-point.

Its only a gtx3076r tho to be fair not colossal and also twin scroll. The gt3076 .63/2l build I keep going back too had similar power to gt3071 with more top end. Made good power at 4k.

Whats the 2.5xtr? A larger frame gtx3071? If so run with it over the 3.0. Couldnt find many online and none with turbine spec listed.

The singe scroll bolt on housings dont seem to give amazing results. Matts was a bit lazy especially for a 2.5.

57 minutes ago, boon said:

Yeah 2.5XTR is the 60mm turbine with 71mm cold side. IMO the turbo to go for if your aims are in that 260-280wkw ballpark and you don't want to open the block.

Agreed.

Still dont back blouch turbos but if you want to do it dont be disappointed if it doesnt deliver. Could buy boons holset setup...

Sorry, been very lazy checking the forums lately!

OP, my mods are as follows:

Process West TMIC
Process West TGV Deletes
ID1000's
EJ257 (8.8:1 Compression ratio with 2.0L heads)
Dual AVCS
Blouch 3.0XT-R Twin scroll
Tomei twin scroll Exhaust manifold
Full turbo back exhaust
K&N Intake

Power is around 267kw, can go more just MAF is maxed out.
Torque is 514nm and running 22psi

My opinion is, If you're going racing, get a FMIC. The TMIC does a great job for looking stealthy and for boosting around on the road a little, but as soon as you hit the track it heat soaks very easily.

The size of the turbo? For a 2.0L I'd be going with a 1.5XT-R Twin scroll sorta size. The 3.0XT-R Twin scroll is a tad lazy even on the 2.5L

Going Blouch? I wouldn't touch them again. When my turbo arrived, it came with single scroll gaskets, not twin scroll. First time I tightned a clamp onto the Bouch's housing to connect the intake the housing bent (Photo below). 10,000km in the internal wastegate failed on the Blouch, they wouldn't fix it as it was out of warrenty (6 month warrenty for a turbo that expensive?). Had the weld the internal gate and go external. Not happy with Blouch's quality.

20160709_134215_zpsiywlw21j.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, knockoutgiant said:

During, a couple laps in. Cool t down for 20mins in the pits and its good for another few laps.

Almost wonder if the intercoolers decent or not. I get its perrin but normally you get heatsoak when youre not moving/slow speeds. 

Could redirect windscreen squirters during session might help? Also helps if the under engine panel is installed.

• Admin
2 hours ago, evowrx said:

Almost wonder if the intercoolers decent or not. I get its perrin but normally you get heatsoak when youre not moving/slow speeds. 

Could redirect windscreen squirters during session might help? Also helps if the under engine panel is installed.

It's PW not Perrin :P

Needs moar scoop, on my V7 I could cane it pretty hard and the TMIC stayed cool as. Not track conditions though.

2 hours ago, evowrx said:

A lot of those big aftermarket top mounts seem to have the same problem on the track - with repeated laps, continuous WOT, full boost etc they heatsoak to the point they cannot recover and IATs sky rocket. They are so thick, but have a comparatively small surface area so they end up turning into a massive heat-sink. We had this very problem on BT's race car years ago with the PW top mount. Back to backed it with the factory Ver. 8 STI intercooler and the logs proved it worked a lot better. The factory cooler, in this case/application, was actually more efficient than the aftermarket PW one.

1 hour ago, boon said:

It's PW not Perrin :P

Needs moar scoop, on my V7 I could cane it pretty hard and the TMIC stayed cool as. Not track conditions though.

Derp so it is. Didnt even read the list above just remember the tmic layout was same as perrin and @knockoutgiant is a brand whore. 

On 6/21/2017 at 9:43 PM, boon said:

My comments there (re. 55lb/min turbo) refer to the 3.0XTR; worse spool and the same top end as a 1.5 or 2.5, seeing as the tune will end up limiting the car to maybe 270wkw for safety reasons. It will still be fast as feck but you will get more area under the curve with a smaller turbo (1.5 or 2.5) because the curve will rise earlier to the same end-point.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:19 PM, boon said:

Yeah 2.5XTR is the 60mm turbine with 71mm cold side. IMO the turbo to go for if your aims are in that 260-280wkw ballpark and you don't want to open the block.

Yep, that's what I originally thought of as well if going with the 3.0. As option atm for me brand new is 1.5XTR Twin or 3.0 XTR Twin and I'm siding with the 1.5XTR. Hard to get info online (not much) about the 2.5 XTR Twin.

On 6/22/2017 at 1:17 PM, evowrx said:

Agreed.

Still dont back blouch turbos but if you want to do it dont be disappointed if it doesnt deliver. Could buy boons holset setup...

Yeah, had a look at it real quick but custom intake, custom exhaust work, it'll just sorta be up there as well - prolly more. Definitely an option if I do stay away from Blouches but I'm in the process of viewing a Blouch 1.5XTR Twin of a guy whose had it for 2 years done roughly 20tho k's; If I get it for the price I want then I'd probably take it.

On 6/24/2017 at 11:22 PM, knockoutgiant said:

Sorry, been very lazy checking the forums lately!

OP, my mods are as follows:

Process West TMIC
Process West TGV Deletes
ID1000's
EJ257 (8.8:1 Compression ratio with 2.0L heads)
Dual AVCS
Blouch 3.0XT-R Twin scroll
Tomei twin scroll Exhaust manifold
Full turbo back exhaust
K&N Intake

Power is around 267kw, can go more just MAF is maxed out.
Torque is 514nm and running 22psi

My opinion is, If you're going racing, get a FMIC. The TMIC does a great job for looking stealthy and for boosting around on the road a little, but as soon as you hit the track it heat soaks very easily.

The size of the turbo? For a 2.0L I'd be going with a 1.5XT-R Twin scroll sorta size. The 3.0XT-R Twin scroll is a tad lazy even on the 2.5L

Going Blouch? I wouldn't touch them again. When my turbo arrived, it came with single scroll gaskets, not twin scroll. First time I tightned a clamp onto the Bouch's housing to connect the intake the housing bent (Photo below). 10,000km in the internal wastegate failed on the Blouch, they wouldn't fix it as it was out of warrenty (6 month warrenty for a turbo that expensive?). Had the weld the internal gate and go external. Not happy with Blouch's quality.

Cheers for the response, the more the better. Been getting more and more opinions lately. 

Nah, definitely no track racing for me; I'll be getting another car for that purpose. Worse I'd do is drag ways but never will I launch it. That's pretty much what I see looking myself doing and some back road fun; never done it much but starting too now. Another reason why I'm kind of siding with stock TMIC is that cost wise... I' currently have a PW Intake so kinda makes sense to go PW FMIC since it routes different to other brands out there or I go custom and spend extra $1-1.5K. 

Yep, I'm in the process of viewing a Blouch 1.5XTR Twin of a guy whose had it for 2 years done roughly 20tho k's; If I get it for the price I want then I'd probably get it. 

1. Do you happen to know if that's pretty common the housing bending? I've never seen it happen overseas but I have seen it happen only to you (I think I saw your build thread somewhere here). Right I see noted on internal wastegate. 

2. How much of a mission was it to go external? Is yours VTA? 

3. If you were to re-do it all over again what brand/path would you have gone to instead?

Comparing your turbo to same exact one but just looks newer (I Guess)? It seems like they have thicken the inlet compressor housing a tad more from the pictures? Do you have any clue as to why this one is black with a big BPT signage instead comapred to yours? I don't think it's their heat coated option which made it a tad different. 

20160709_134215_zpsiywlw21j.jpg

vs

blc_dom1_5xtr_ts_1

blc_dom1_5xtr_ts_2

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/turbos/blc-dom1-5xtr-ts-blouch-dominator-1-5xt-r-10cm-2-twin-scroll-jdm-turbo

Edited by BeastGRB

Brand whore... Thats me xD

The Dom 1.5 will have a better/thicker compressor housing than my 3.0. Also I haven't seen it been done to any others.

External wasnt much of a mission, just a pain after spending all that money on a turbo just to have it crap out.

My gate is VTA. It will be recirculating eventually but it looks like a real pain to do.

Its because of the larger compressor inducer that the wall on the intake snout is so thin. A gt3076 is somewhere around 57mm and the intake is somewhere around 2 1/8-2 1/4 iirc. If you had the 3" intake it would be a decent thickness but hard to find one compatible with tgv's.

Would think a custom cooler be @LDS.Fab or the like would be heaps cheaper than pw.

If youre going to go to external just do the twisted thing as its a similar amount of work and makes the turbo cheaper.

• Admin

Right, cat amongst pigeon time.

The Blouch is bloody expensive for what is essentially a glorified Garrett in a not-very-efficient housing.

Buy this:

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg-warner-efr/turbos-efr-series/borgwarner-efr-6758-turbo-2/

With the twinscroll internally-gated housing. 

By the time you pay for flanges and stuff it will be similar money.

Saw the Subaru flange off your up-pipe, put a T4 flange on it, keep the turbo stock location.

I guarantee you a better net result. If you ever get bored of it, flick the 6758 Supercore and plop a 7163 core in, 320wkw+ potential, no worries.

21 hours ago, knockoutgiant said:

Brand whore... Thats me xD

The Dom 1.5 will have a better/thicker compressor housing than my 3.0. Also I haven't seen it been done to any others.

External wasnt much of a mission, just a pain after spending all that money on a turbo just to have it crap out.

My gate is VTA. It will be recirculating eventually but it looks like a real pain to do.

21 hours ago, evowrx said:

Its because of the larger compressor inducer that the wall on the intake snout is so thin. A gt3076 is somewhere around 57mm and the intake is somewhere around 2 1/8-2 1/4 iirc. If you had the 3" intake it would be a decent thickness but hard to find one compatible with tgv's.

Would think a custom cooler be @LDS.Fab or the like would be heaps cheaper than pw.

If youre going to go to external just do the twisted thing as its a similar amount of work and makes the turbo cheaper.

@knockoutgiant Any other experiences worthy noting down off (After going EWG & Walls caving in)? I'm not too concerned about the housing at this point and if I have to go EWG I don't mind that much as well since I'm a bit of a sucker for how EWG sounds; nothing too obnoxious. 

@evowrx Yeap, that makes sense now. Looks like more points to drop down as to why 1.5XTR is the go-to at the moment as never heard of the walls caving in like that online on the 1.5's. 

Yeah, I've been noted to do so as well but personally I wouldn't know where to start, long downtime on the car and budget is a big factor as well. 

9 hours ago, boon said:

Right, cat amongst pigeon time.

The Blouch is bloody expensive for what is essentially a glorified Garrett in a not-very-efficient housing.

Buy this:

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg-warner-efr/turbos-efr-series/borgwarner-efr-6758-turbo-2/

With the twinscroll internally-gated housing. 

By the time you pay for flanges and stuff it will be similar money.

Saw the Subaru flange off your up-pipe, put a T4 flange on it, keep the turbo stock location.

I guarantee you a better net result. If you ever get bored of it, flick the 6758 Supercore and plop a 7163 core in, 320wkw+ potential, no worries.

8 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

@Tony had good results with a BW Airwerks one. Way cheaper than EFR's. The amount you save on the turbo rather than going Blouch will easily cover the fab required to go twist mount.

@Andy_Mac @boon Do bear in mind though that I can get the 1.5XTR TS in-front of my door for roughly 2.6-2.7K NZD (Don't ask me how lol); With the turbo mentioned by Boon it comes to $2.3K Excluding shipping. Hence why I'm siding with the blouch at the moment. 

However if I manage to get a new turbo (different brand) + custom fabrication needed for about the same price of $2.7K I'd be more than happy to go that route. 

Id be inclined to give a td06sl2 hybrid a go over the blouch. Cheap enough and if it breaks theyre easily rebuilt.

If it doesnt work sell it - you wont lose much - then move up to the gt30 t3 thing.

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Tony had the 200SX estimated at about $1200 landed. Would have to query him on what the fab work to go with it would cost. Bigger turbo than you're after though, plus you're getting a good price on the blouch 

Fortyone are landing them for around that but even cheaper thro some of the usa race sites.

36 minutes ago, boon said:

Hate to say it but TD anything is an absolute dinosaur turbo. Maybe if you chuck a nice billet wheel on it...

The sl2 is a better wheel than the td05h and supports the 20g comp to 26#wkw on stock v7 sti.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 8:20 PM, evowrx said:

Dtech also used a third parties jig for a twisted t4 iirc. Might be an option to get into a cheaper borg/holset. Just means altering downpipe and intake. Really should do fmic either way.

Ill give Dtech a call once again regarding twisted setup but yep I just thought abaout that as well. As @Batbaruman is having the same problem on his twisted on tmic as its 1cm apart. 

I thought of getting the ppt heat blanket and re-thermal wrap my downpipe a bit better on the blouch. The space is still a bit further or I get a heat shield custom made. 

13 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Tony had the 200SX estimated at about $1200 landed. Would have to query him on what the fab work to go with it would cost. Bigger turbo than you're after though, plus you're getting a good price on the blouch 

Yep, I'll give him a call. Yes Iam hence why that option is still valid for me. If things go right and nothing unexpected pops up I should be able to order my turbo in next week or in two weeks from now but till then I'll re-read all I've searched. 

10 hours ago, evowrx said:

The sl2 is a better wheel than the td05h and supports the 20g comp to 26#wkw on stock v7 sti.

Twisted setup as well? Not really too knowledgable on turbs.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, west_minist said:

Looking noce. Did you chose which EMS you are going for that you have support for?

If you mean EMS by the Engine System ECU. I've already decided on tuning it on Factory ECU; turned out well for others. I just can't justify spending a couple grand on it. If I did get one my initial budget will skyrocket; literally.

• Like 1