Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GC8 6 Speed Conversion - Clutch Options

cods4

I'm in the process of doing a 6-speed conversion on my V4 sti (ie it's on the hoist now with the diff out). I think I have all the bits i need including rear diff and axles etc. But as yet I have not got a 6-speed clutch.

My current clutch is a decent 6 puk racing one in good nick. Just skimmed the flywheel last time it was out but other than that it looked good.

Can I reuse my 5 speed clutch with the 6 speed GD box? 

I'm just getting confused about if one box is set up for a push type clutch and the other for a pull type and whether it is an easy conversion or what?

FYI I have the 6-speed slave cylinder set-up and flywheel, just not the clutch.

2 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Pretty sure you can use the 5mt clutch/flywheel/starter but you need the 6mt fork and slave.

You cant mix and match the 5mt and 6mt clutch/flywheel/starter.

Ok sweet, I have all that. I'll see how I go.

31 minutes ago, gotasuby said:

The my01 wrx on has same start as the sti. The slave can be either 5 or 6 speed. Just have to use 6 speed fork

Is the shaft the same length? Sure there was a thread about it on here.

12 minutes ago, gotasuby said:

Yes. The only reason the early ones don't fit is cause the nose supporting the front pinion rubs on the stepped flywheel. If you grind it down they work mint

Was meaning slave shaft length Jase

Thanks for the help guys. I think I have all the parts you are talking about so I will be able to have a play around to see what fits.

Got the rear diff and axles and hubs in today. Gearbox hopefully will go in next weekend.

Those long bolts that attach to the rear lateral links were a pain. I now need to see if Subaru NZ has new bolts in stock and I will price up some whiteline bushings.

• 2 months later...

So the 6 speed has been in for a while. Just got around to getting a wheel alignment yesterday and taking it for its first proper drive and it happened to be raining.

Now I have a suspicion that the centre diff is toast. The rear end just lets go under acceleration in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. Whereas with the 5 speed, it generally seemed to hook up and go in the wet.

Also when I drop the clutch on the wet grass it is only the rear wheels that spin.

Are these signs of a stuffed centre diff or has the diff possibly been modified for rear wheel drive? If it was acting as an open diff I would have expected to get some front wheel spin as well or instead of rear wheel. 

I got back out to where the car is stored tonight and did a bit of investigation.

The gearbox code is TY-856WB1CA which indicates that it has a 4kgf viscous centre diff.

I also looked under the car and it doesnt look like it has the wires coming out for a DCCD.

I ran it in 1st gear on the axle stands and then gently pulled the handbrake up to stop the rear wheels. As expected it didnt take too much force to stop them. 

I took a video of the sound it made. 

Any ideas on what has happened and what could cause this?

When we installed the driveshaft it didn't fully seat in the transmission, as if it is 10-15mm too short. Is this normal or did I somehow get the wrong driveshaft? It supposedly came off the same V7 sti as the gearbox and diff.

So it sounds f***ed to you?

What are my options?

I plan to drive it as it is for a few events (autocrosses, hillclimbs etc) just to get some seat time. But once i have the money. what would be a recommended diff for a mix of say 50% tarmac and 50% gravel? I am thinking either factory a 10kg viscous diff (ST389134S010) or some aftermarket unit (cusco, kaaz etc). I've spoken to a few rally guys in NZ who use a 20kg viscous coupler. But I imagine this would be far too tight on tarmac.

It also seems like most of the aftermarket units are for the 5 speed boxes. would these be compatible with the 6 speed too?

Thanks @evowrx and @boostin

If anyone has any input on a reasonably priced diff suitable for gravel rally/hill climbs etc. I'm thinking that 10kgf @ 50rpm (ST389134S010) diff would be a good option. Or would I be better off upgrading to a used DCCD box or do they have reliability issues when used for motorsport.

I co-drive last month in an Legacy with 210wkw using a DCCD 5 speed. Using the excellent MapDCCD controller. And it was good. So certainly upto the job, how long they last I couldn't say, from memory he had done a season of sprints on it and one rally and it was still holding together fine.

6 speed is still pretty good value for money given you don't need to rebuild them to make them reliable like you do with a lot 5 speeds. However they still have a lifespan that's going to be shorter than a dogbox if you really thrash them. I have done 5-6 rallies over the last couple of years (including a 5 day Targa) on 2 6 speed boxes. Both of them have started to have issues with selectors over time due to me being not particularly kind on gear change. But no mechanical failure so far.

• Like 2

• Subscribed Member
On 14/09/2017 at 10:22 AM, Munkvy said:

I co-drive last month in an Legacy with 210wkw using a DCCD 5 speed. Using the excellent MapDCCD controller. And it was good. So certainly upto the job, how long they last I couldn't say, from memory he had done a season of sprints on it and one rally and it was still holding together fine.

6 speed is still pretty good value for money given you don't need to rebuild them to make them reliable like you do with a lot 5 speeds. However they still have a lifespan that's going to be shorter than a dogbox if you really thrash them. I have done 5-6 rallies over the last couple of years (including a 5 day Targa) on 2 6 speed boxes. Both of them have started to have issues with selectors over time due to me being not particularly kind on gear change. But no mechanical failure so far.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. 
Two friends of mine with legacy rally cars are both going 6 speed very soon, so I'll be the only one left in the group with a 5 speed in mine, great to know they hold up that much better!