Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Do I need tune with these mods?

With mods such as a FMIC and/or aftermarket intake and/or FULL exhaust upgrade, do they require a tune for them to work without causing issues or do they only require a tune if I want power?

Also, whats the average cost to get a decent tune?

Edited by Subru

• Admin

Definantly should if doing all those.

Intake is the one that has the highest chance of causing issues.

No real point spending all that money on that stuff without getting the most out of it though 

Save up, install them all at once then get a decent tune rather than spacing it out and potentially chasing your tail on any issues that may arise along the way.

• Like 6

^ pretty much covered everything. in Auckland dyno tuners usually 1200ish, road tuners 800ish. if you doing all that may as well do a bit of preventative upgrade and sort your fuel pump out too given age of car. definitely helps either way to get car tuned in particular for the fuel available in your area. reason behind recommending re tune is more air means you need more fuel , last thing you want is to lean out and cause damage. power gains are just a consequence of more fuel and air.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Definantly should if doing all those.

Intake is the one that has the highest chance of causing issues.

No real point spending all that money on that stuff without getting the most out of it though 

Save up, install them all at once then get a decent tune rather than spacing it out and potentially chasing your tail on any issues that may arise along the way.

Yeah fair enough.. Im only planning on doing FMIC but if I have to get a tune if I end up doing other mods its going to be a pain. I might get FMIC then get a remap/tune just to make sure its all good but thats another cost aye...

Just now, Batbaruman said:

^ pretty much covered everything. in Auckland dyno tuners usually 1200ish, road tuners 800ish. 

$1200?! damn, thats a lot more than I was hoping...

48 minutes ago, Subru said:

Yeah fair enough.. Im only planning on doing FMIC but if I have to get a tune if I end up doing other mods its going to be a pain. I might get FMIC then get a remap/tune just to make sure its all good but thats another cost aye...

$1200?! damn, thats a lot more than I was hoping...

Probably not the best way to go FMIC > Tune > Put more mods > Re-tune. It would just cost you more in the long run. Wait it out as Andy has mentioned. I'm doing the same atm with mine. I have a brand new CAI for my car but holding putting it on till I've got my turbo etc... then go in for a tune. Re-tunes per hour are usually around $120-$140 I believe + GST.

Sadly $1200 is the norm. You can still get ones for like $1000 but you may as well go for a good known tuner and spend that extra $200. As my other mates have mentioned after service plays a big role.  

• Like 1

I would have loved to have only paid 1200 for a tune lol :P

fmic and full exhaust will be sweet, leave intake alone imo

after the mods you could just get a dyno run and check a/f etc that way you'll know it's safe while you save up for the tune, power will come after the tune, I used to think I'd never get a car tuned as it was too expensive, but I would spend 1000s on parts that didn't do jack S*** to the performance  because the tune is what unleashes the power of the mods :) and it makes car cooler by 1000% 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, THUNDA said:

I would have loved to have only paid 1200 for a tune lol :P

fmic and full exhaust will be sweet, leave intake alone imo

after the mods you could just get a dyno run and check a/f etc that way you'll know it's safe while you save up for the tune, power will come after the tune, I used to think I'd never get a car tuned as it was too expensive, but I would spend 1000s on parts that didn't do jack S*** to the performance  because the tune is what unleashes the power of the mods :) and it makes car cooler by 1000% 

So with FMIC I wont need a tune? just a duno run to make sure its all sweet?

8 minutes ago, Subru said:

If its not do you have the money for the retune then and there if required?

You would see better gains tuning as is if money is a concern than bolting on stuff without a tune. 

Best way to do it is as above. Buy parts, put em all on then get it tuned and enjoy a 30% power difference.

4 minutes ago, evowrx said:

If its not do you have the money for the retune then and there if required?

You would see better gains tuning as is if money is a concern than bolting on stuff without a tune. 

Best way to do it is as above. Buy parts, put em all on then get it tuned and enjoy a 30% power difference.

Yea I could get a retune if i had to, but I would rather not with just a fmic. I might buy parts and put em all on and get a tune like you say, its probably the best idea. Just gotta figure out what my car needs aye.

3 minutes ago, Subru said:

Yea I could get a retune if i had to, but I would rather not with just a fmic. I might buy parts and put em all on and get a tune like you say, its probably the best idea. Just gotta figure out what my car needs aye.

Start here:

Just now, evowrx said:

Start here:

Sweet

I gotta do a lot of reading and researching especially about making more power. The more I learn, the more I know, I dont know much... Wanna get it right the first time aye...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Subru said:

Well yes and no, if you just put a FMIC onto your car, you will have a FMIC on your car - you may feel slight gains in power but at the same time they could be imaginary.

If you get a FMIC and then get it tuned, you will have a FMIC on  your car and also whatever power gain you get when upgrading from a TMIC and also the gains from the tune itself

I saw a post on PBMS awhile ago where they tuned a later model WRX which had no modifications, and they were able to get an extra 35kW more than the factory setup ATW

• Like 1

Don't be cheap, pay good money where you can. I learnt the hard way.

Seriously though. Talk to Chris at prestige. He can reflash in Welly, has done a few members now.

https://www.facebook.com/prestigetuningnz/

Read this, I think it gets interesting around page 6. 

if you need help installing S***, when you get to that stage.

Let me know if you want help.

• Like 3

you can get a road tune for cheaper, i got my road tune done for $300 but thats in akld, the guy is on here he goes by the name of pappu who has tuned alot of subarus and he knows his stuff, pbms do a dyno run for $147 i believe and they give you a print out of everything which is good to have, thats if you are in akld though...

• Admin
12 hours ago, Subru said:

Sweet

I gotta do a lot of reading and researching especially about making more power. The more I learn, the more I know, I dont know much... Wanna get it right the first time aye...

If you want to get it right the first time, break out about $15k and get a Garrett GTX or a BorgWarner EFR, 44mm+ wastegate, twisted setup to suit, ID1050s, a Link plug-in, Aeromotive Stealth in-tank, decent FMIC, maybe phenolic manifold spacers, and a dyno tune.

• Like 5

Any reason why you are just wanting to do a fmic?  Is it for looks?

As others have said you prob wont find any difference with a fmic to the stock tmic without a tune...  You'd be better off getting all the parts together and then tuning.

Also recommended to install an upgraded fuel pump too, last thing you want is to run lean.  Better safe than sorry.

Hey mate, the way I went about it was doing a couple of mods that will be noticeable then tune it and continue on. My first tune was $1200.00 however now that most of the work is done I have gone back already and only had to pay 1-2 hours labour to touch it up and push it a bit further.

Saving up and doing it all in one go is definitely the way to go however I don't have the patience for that haha! plus the way I think is if I do a few mods put them on get a touch up tune and drive it for a bit it keeps me eager to work on the car as well as giving me the chance to drive it and figure what I want to do next. I have saved all the parts previously then slapped them all in and not done enough research ending up with a car that wasn't suited to how I wanted to drive.

At the end of the day you have so much information on here and through the world wide web to stock your brain up on as well as tones of knowledge from the forum members.

• Like 2

If you are on a tight budget and you don't know what you are after, then I would skip all the parts and start with a road tune from a reputable tuner. You'd be surprised at how much more you can get out of a stock car without having to upgrade any hardware. What gains are you expecting from fitting a FMIC?

• Like 1

Fmic has the advantage of avoiding heat soak in traffic. So lights to lights you'll see advantages.

But your car being an sti (I assume?) it should have the intercooler sprayer setup on it. Back to back logging in mine has shown less knock with the sprayer active, so it does work.

Yes, tune for mods. The v7's are notoriously thirsty. Even more so when you start modding without tuning for it.

Downpipe makes a HUGE increase in available output. The factory ecu is also capable of running a 3port boost solenoid, so better control vs factory setup.

that and more power and better drivability while simultaneously using less fuel, thats gotta be a selling point

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chulozumo said:

Don't be cheap, pay good money where you can. I learnt the hard way.

Seriously though. Talk to Chris at prestige. He can reflash in Welly, has done a few members now.

https://www.facebook.com/prestigetuningnz/

Read this, I think it gets interesting around page 6. 

if you need help installing S***, when you get to that stage.

Let me know if you want help.

Thanks, will do :) 

Wow it does get very interesting...o.O

Edited by Subru

New oil/fuel/air filter, plugs, etc stage 0 service.

3 port, tb exhaust, fuel pump then tune add intake hoses if you feel like a challenge.

Then swaybar, gear shifter bushes. 

Enjoy the gains. No frontal impact issues or low vol cert required.

• Like 4