Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP Legacy showdown

xMRWHIPPIEx

Alright guys,

I've had a look in the search bar to see if this has already been asked, couldn't find anything... so here goes.

I am looking to import a 2007 - 2009 BP Legacy wagon and i'm struggling to decide between the two main engine options, the 3.0R and the 2.0T.

I will be getting a Spec B with the 6 speed manual regardless of what engine i decide on, so i was wanting some feedback from y'all on your experiences.

My main questions are the following:

- which would be faster?

- which is easier overall to live with? reliability etc.

- does the EZ30 have much of an aftermarket? or is it primarily a exhaust swap and a tune to boost power and thats it?

- fuel economy, what sort of figures do you see in your 2.0T/EZ30?  this wont really matter TBH but would be interesting to see.

- insurance... that old chestnut.  im guessing the EZ30 will be cheaper to insure?

Any information is totally welcomed.

Thanks team!

Alright guys,

I've had a look in the search bar to see if this has already been asked, couldn't find anything... so here goes.

I am looking to import a 2007 - 2009 BP Legacy wagon and i'm struggling to decide between the two main engine options, the 3.0R and the 2.0T.

I will be getting a Spec B with the 6 speed manual regardless of what engine i decide on, so i was wanting some feedback from y'all on your experiences.

My main questions are the following:

- which would be faster?
- which is easier overall to live with? reliability etc.
- does the EZ30 have much of an aftermarket? or is it primarily a exhaust swap and a tune to boost power and thats it?
- fuel economy, what sort of figures do you see in your 2.0T/EZ30?  this wont really matter TBH but would be interesting to see.
- insurance... that old chestnut.  im guessing the EZ30 will be cheaper to insure?

Any information is totally welcomed.

Thanks team!

I'd say there'd be more mods for the 2.0 because turbo? Plus the hood scoop looks bad ass. Totally not biased ;).

A friend of mine had the ez30 in a auto outback, he said if it was manual it would have been a heap better. But it sure as hell wasn't slow.

I get roughly 560 ks to a tank of 98 in my 05 GT (5 speed, turbo, dump pipe).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

servicing costs are much the same, although the 3.0 takes 5.5l of 5w30. no cam belt to worry about though. there is very little as far as aftermarket performance parts for these. you can get a full exhaust (raptor do headers), also the exhaust is different to the gt, so you need to get a 3.0 specific exhaust, and you can get a cold air intake but it's probably not worth the money. also raptor do a bolt on supercharger kit if you want to spend the $$.

i get around 450km out of tank city driving, and around 600km open road driving from my 3.0 

Its far cheaper and easier to get a much more exciting drive out of a turbo. 

Sure, the 3.0 has a wall of torque down low, and that engine note is glorious, but aftermarket support aroundbthe motor is limited, and its bloody expensive to get any extra power out of it.

33 minutes ago, drtydog said:

also the exhaust is different to the gt, so you need to get a 3.0 specific exhaust

The only difference between 3.0 and GT is the engine side flange  - it is rotated by about 90 degrees and bolt holes won't line up, easy fix. Other than that they're the same.

Obviously talking about midsection and mufflers.  

13 minutes ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Its far cheaper and easier to get a much more exciting drive out of a turbo. 

Sure, the 3.0 has a wall of torque down low, and that engine note is glorious, but aftermarket support aroundbthe motor is limited, and its bloody expensive to get any extra power out of it.

How much power do both put down with the simple breathing mods? Legacy arent easy to bolt a bigger turbo on which is a bit cost prohibitive. 

• Admin
19 minutes ago, evowrx said:

How much power do both put down with the simple breathing mods? Legacy arent easy to bolt a bigger turbo on which is a bit cost prohibitive. 

Intake and downpipe will net you 170-190wkw for a GT, think 3.0R's max out at more like 170wkw with headers and maybe a better flowing intake. E85 is where the 3.0R's shine. 

Still keen to see what mine would do with a Link and some proper boost control. 

• Like 1

• Admin

I've driven both a 5spd manual 3.0 BP and a 2.0T BL Legacy... Both were great to drive. Really enjoyed them.
On one hand; instant torque is fantastic, on the other; boost is great.

My personal preference is probably the H6 as I really like the torque and finding one with a 6spd box and top-spec interior would certainly tick all the boxes for me.

4 hours ago, drtydog said:

servicing costs are much the same, although the 3.0 takes 5.5l of 5w30. no cam belt to worry about though.

Oh that's good to know. Seems the 2,0 is more popular from browsing the second hand market. And if importing, might get a 2.0 with decent mods already done? 

How many H6s have you seen or heard with big end issues? The turbo models are pretty highly stressed, the 6s aren't. 600km to a tank in my manual sedan, and had it as high as 800. They can be quite economical if driven nicely.