Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

'05 Legacy Front Wheel Hub Options

LegacyBLErbd

Hey team!

Have been quoted $550 to replace a front wheel hub on my '05 Legacy BLE Spec B Sedan. After doing some research I have determined that it is probably a backyard type job with the right tools and a mate or two with experience. I have found a couple of hub pricings but want to see if any of you have dealt with these brands before or know of any alternatives.

Febest - $140

FBJ - $80

Subaru Genuine - $300 ish

Any other tips or tricks about the job as a whole would be appreciated too, I think I have a good handle on how to do it but if there are any hidden pitfalls I would like to hear about it.

Can't offer advice on the job itself except to say a shop press would make it 100x easier to press the bearings, you might consider taking off your hubs and take them to a workshop with your new bearings and get them to do the pressing. 

Also steer clear of Febest, I've used their bearings and they don't last. 

If it is a bolt on hub then the job is pretty simple.

Wheel off, CV nut off, caliper off, rotor off, unbolt hub and slide it off the CV shaft. Then re-assemble in reverse order. (I may be missing a step but that is the gist of it)

Put a little copper anti-seize on the CV splines before re installing to make the next guy's life easier.

You can buy the bolt in hubs both with and without the flange for the wheel pressed in.

4599074445_605c1e1f77.jpg

If you buy one without the flange (on right in pic) you will need to press your old one out of the old hub, then press it into the new hub. Which as Caleb said is much easier with a shop press. 

Only trick is if the CV splines are stuck in the hub, just spray a bunch of CRC/WD40 in there put the nut back on and drive it around for a couple more days then try the job again. Don't get too carried away with a steel hammer trying to whack it out because if you mushroom the end you will have a bad day.

I got my hubs from BNT. not sure what brand they are but haven't had any problems. Done the rears about a year ago and the fronts about 2 months ago. 

+1 for removing abs sensor. also a block of wood will stop the mushrooming of the cv spline if your bashing it with a steel hammer. 

3 hours ago, IZichard said:

If it is a bolt on hub then the job is pretty simple.

Wheel off, CV nut off, caliper off, rotor off, unbolt hub and slide it off the CV shaft. Then re-assemble in reverse order. (I may be missing a step but that is the gist of it)

Put a little copper anti-seize on the CV splines before re installing to make the next guy's life easier.

You can buy the bolt in hubs both with and without the flange for the wheel pressed in.

4599074445_605c1e1f77.jpg

If you buy one without the flange (on right in pic) you will need to press your old one out of the old hub, then press it into the new hub. Which as Caleb said is much easier with a shop press. 

Only trick is if the CV splines are stuck in the hub, just spray a bunch of CRC/WD40 in there put the nut back on and drive it around for a couple more days then try the job again. Don't get too carried away with a steel hammer trying to whack it out because if you mushroom the end you will have a bad day.

Put the nut on backwards almost flush with the stub then hit that if you need some gentle persuasion. Only hit it straight if you hit it on an angle you can really F*** the cv.

Belting the cv with a hammer can send metal fragments flying, so engage safety squints. It can shock the axle out of the outer cv too, done it many times and then spent the next 30 mins cleaning up the axle splines with a tiny file!