Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

3.0r Budget exhaust build, after some info.

LegacyBLErbd

Hello once again team!

I am looking to do some cheapish exhaust mods to me 3.0r sedan based off what I have read online. So far the menu looks like this.

Delete 3rd Cat.

Replace centre muffler with 2.5" redline resonator.

So far I have some saying leave the centre muffler alone or youll (drone) regret it. And others saying do what you like it does next to nothing.

Has anyone gone down this path before? Keen to hear your tips.

Cheers!

Edited by LegacyBLErbd

Yes I have read almost every thread I could find about it haha.

"3. Remove the mid system muffler (labelled number 24 in the image) and replace it with a resonator (you can get a 2.5" one from Redline for $60) as this muffler does NOTHING and removing the cats will increase the exhaust noise a little and putting this resonator in will deaden the sound again."

That was the one that made me think the mid muffler needs to go, but other forums are saying you shouldnt touch it. Oh well I have ordered the reso anyway will probably just do it anyways and live with the result. Shouldnt change it too much overall anywho

I had my centre muffler deleted recently. Sounds like ass with the stock mufflers. Out of curiosity I put my muffler delete pipes on and it's unbearably loud (Sounds F***ing cool) but far too obnoxious. So now I have the stock mufflers back on until I find some replacements. May have to chuck in a resonator too depending what mufflers I go for.

1 minute ago, LegacyBLErbd said:

Issue in what way? Im not opposed to there being an increase in volume, but are you more talking about droning and tinny sounds?

Tinny as F*** as soon as you put your foot down even the slightest. Sorry I should have made that a little more clear. 

Hmmm damn. I will still be getting the 3rd cat done, I just kinda wanted to knock it out all in one go to save on $ and time. Im in two minds, part of me wants to heed this as a warning and leave it alone, but im also curious as to if replacing it with a resonator will help the tinny sound. Decisions decisions!

19 minutes ago, LegacyBLErbd said:

So thats to say a generic Redline reso would negatively affect power? Also should put it out there that its 6sp manual which according to some forums can affect exhaust note/tone.

Not necessarily. Some of the Chinese ones are S*** and cause restriction but may only be equivalent to what you cut out. Whereas adrenalinR are more of an upgrade while actually doing their job quietening down the exhaust.

Guessing that would have more of an effect on cruise rpm which would depend if that means it sits in the droney region.

Righteo, well I guess thats the difference between paying $60 and $200+ I suppose. Thanks for the info though really appreciate it. Probably still going to cut out the mid muffler and replace with reso at this stage. If it sounds like sh** then Ill just live with it and make a plan going forward.

Final exhaust solution and sobanoodle do not go well together, I've probably tried the greatest variety of  Legacy mufflers than anyone else in NZ :D 

Final solution (before I stripped the car back to stock and sold) was:

Stock headers with 3rd cat delete ---> K2Gear dual mid section --> Wangan mufflers. 

3rd cat removal on its own notably increases the volume,  also adds some tinniness at some revs.

Also instead of a bullet type resonator I'd be looking for an oval shaped - has to be fairly flat as there's not that much room and you will scrape a lot especially if yours is lowered. 

Haha oh dear well you're probably the right person to be talking to then! Righteo so the 3rd cat delete still stays,

https://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/product/resonator-universal-round-25-mild/

Thats the reso I bought based on another persons suggestion on a similar forum. Its not lowered at all just standard spec b sedan height.

Would you say that the reso would cut out any of the tinniness? Im wondering if center muffler cuts more tinny or this new reso.

How are you doing the 3rd cat delete? Bash it out and keep stock pipes or  proper cut out and replace with a Y-pipe job? 

Stock mid resonator/muffler does an amazing job on 3.0. Just to give you an idea a 450mm louvre baffled and packed with quality stuff AdrenalinR was nowhere near that, was okish with stock mufflers on. But then what's the point of opening up the front and middle sections if you're going to restrict  the flow at the mufflers.  

Pitstop quoted me $80 for removal and replace with pipe which seemed reasonable to me. Thats so weird I keep reading about how it does nothing and needs to go but I will trust you on that one. I have also read that the stock mufflers arent bad as far as flow is concerned, if I needed to open them up a little I would probably do a hogzaust mod (washers inbetween join) to let some of the sound out.

Yeah we are haha :) my jobbie so far would be,

cat where two banks join at Y section (remove cat replace with piping) ---> mid section with resonator/mid muffler (remove muff/reso replace with redline generic reso) ----> Y section ---> mufflers (where y join bolts onto rear mufflers potentially do hogzaust mod).