Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2001 BH5 Etune - Front diff noise...?

dtech72

Hi all, first time posting on here - im massively stuck on an issue i’ve had with the legacy for quite a while now

basically it sounds like a front wheel bearing knackered - but ive changed both and also both cv axles (driveshafts)

not only is there a crazy rumbling noise, something is also causing the car to wander when at expressway speeds (like a steering joint is worn...)

HELP!!! Surely there is someone on here that has experienced a similar issue

Really appreicate any response or suggestions - thanks!!

I’ve literally changed everything that turns - new discs, tyres, wheel bearings and cv axles

I let one place have it for a morning and they thought it was power steering related - that could explain the wandering but certainly not the noise...

• Like 1

could be two unrelated  things.

pop it up on stands and idle it in gear - poke around with a mechanics stethoscope (broom handle or similar) to work out where the noise is coming from.  Maybe its gearbox or centre diff bearings.

Wandering could be rear-end.  Rear trailing arm front bushes shot, for example.

Edited by duncanm
  • Like 1

• General Member

brakes spin freely? or one side stronger than the other?

slightly on topic I had feedback through the steering when from a bulge in a rear tire once, so yeah doesn't necessarily have to be on the front end

one other thought about steering which is easy to check - inspect your steering rack bushes.  A few years of oil splatter can make them go to mush and fall apart, then the rack slides about.

You'll typically feel this on turn-in, though. Feels like steering slips as it loads up.

So, i've figured out - the rumble noise is coming from the front right tyre/rim (but its a fairly new tyre which is odd)

As for the wandering steering - i'm going to swap out the steering rack bushes as they're quite cheap and see if it makes much difference

watch this space....