Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2004 Outback McIntosh speakers issues

liddca

Hopefully this is in the right section of the forums!

My 2004 Subaru Outback is fitted with the factory McIntosh system, I have recently noticed my main drivers door speaker is developing a a bit of a rattle.

This may be a stupid question but, am i able to replace the speaker with a different brand speaker? or do I have to source a McIntosh one to suit the rest of the system?

Also can anyone provide the sizing of the factory door speakers.

Cheers 

Replaced my McIntosh 6"s recently with some Polk audio DB651 6.5" drivers. They do the job pretty well. No adapters required, they come with multi-hole/pattern adapters that fit pretty much perfectly.

Ideally you would replace them with something 8ohm but they can be somewhat hard to find, the Polk's are 4ohm and my the McIntosh amp seems to be coping fine so far.

• Like 1

What I want to know is how the woofer is wired to the tweeter etc...?  The amp is 4 ohms but the woofer is 8 ohms right?

So can you get a 4 ohm component set and replace the tweeter and the woofer etc..without touching anything else?

Put another way, when you get a 4ohm component set with a tweeter and woofer, what is the stand alone ohms of the woofer?

Replacing them shouldn't be a problem and +1 on replacing both fronts.

If you want to upgrade while you're there, I recommend the Focal ISN (or ISC which are cheaper and should be good enough).

Those speakers come with tweeters, so you would have to check that both the speakers and tweeters are at the right size for your car.

I have these ones in my Toyota 86 and I just love them, it made a huge difference over stock speakers :

https://www.qualitycaraudio.co.nz/focal-isn-165-6-75-120w-component-speaker-easy-layby-7016

EDIT : Can you tell us more about the rattle BTW ? Could it just be that the speaker is not secured correctly and is vibrating ?

Edited by delta

On 16/12/2017 at 0:37 AM, willisnz said:

Yeah, I'm wondering if anyone knows how they are wired,and therefore whether the only solution which doesn't change the overall impedance is finding an 8 ohm woofer,which doesn't seem to exist outside of home theater drivers.

Ok so each door runs a twisted pair of wires off the amplifier, and all 4 speakers are in parallel, so at 8 ohms each that presents a 2 ohm load at the amp?

On 12/16/2017 at 3:45 PM, delta said:

Replacing them shouldn't be a problem and +1 on replacing both fronts.

If you want to upgrade while you're there, I recommend the Focal ISN (or ISC which are cheaper and should be good enough).

Those speakers come with tweeters, so you would have to check that both the speakers and tweeters are at the right size for your car.

I have these ones in my Toyota 86 and I just love them, it made a huge difference over stock speakers :

https://www.qualitycaraudio.co.nz/focal-isn-165-6-75-120w-component-speaker-easy-layby-7016

EDIT : Can you tell us more about the rattle BTW ? Could it just be that the speaker is not secured correctly and is vibrating ?

The speaker only seems to rattle when the volume is above 18 or so and if the bass is set +3 or more. Could be quite right with the speaker not being secured properly, ill pull the door card off and check that before I buy a new set

1 hour ago, liddca said:

The speaker only seems to rattle when the volume is above 18 or so and if the bass is set +3 or more. Could be quite right with the speaker not being secured properly, ill pull the door card off and check that before I buy a new set

I have two 2004 legacy wagons with McIntosh and on both of them I've had a main woofer in the front door have the surround connecting the cone to frame  deteriorate.  On really low bass they rattle real bad,so wouldn't be surprised if this is what has happened to you

If so, there are replacement surrounds you can buy online.

On 12/26/2017 at 3:13 PM, willisnz said:

I have two 2004 legacy wagons with McIntosh and on both of them I've had a main woofer in the front door have the surround connecting the cone to frame  deteriorate.  On really low bass they rattle real bad,so wouldn't be surprised if this is what has happened to you

If so, there are replacement surrounds you can buy online.

Had the door card off today and the issue is exactly what you've explained, he whole bottom half of the foam surround has pretty much fallen away from the speaker. Will order a repair kit and have a crack at fixing it myself, from what I gather its is quite a straight forward job?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, liddca said:

Had the door card off today and the issue is exactly what you've explained, he whole bottom half of the foam surround has pretty much fallen away from the speaker. Will order a repair kit and have a crack at fixing it myself, from what I gather its is quite a straight forward job?

Nice to know it's an easy fix finally.

Yeah, changing the surround is just a matter of knowing how to use a screwdriver, I have the feeling that you should be able to do it :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2018 at 1:23 PM, willisnz said:

Any update? Have you replaced the surrounds? If so interested in what kit you got...need to do mine but too lazy to take door panel of measure the speaker cone and frame the surround attaches too...

Still haven't got around to sorting it yet, Ive had a look around though and there are a few different kits on ebay that are suited for the McIntosh system