Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2008 Subaru Impreza Lowering, Wheels, other Mods etc

Shibe

Hey team

Ive managed me score myself a nice deal on a new daily driver which is an 08’ Subaru Impreza 2.0 Manual. Super nice car for the price and really my first decent car that I’ve owned.

I’m looking for advice on lowering the car at some stage, what sort of route to take, easy and sensible options for this car. I was wondering is struts and springs from a WRX or S-GT from the same era would be an idea? I reckon these cars look super nice on a decent set of wheels and a wee bit lower to the ground.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the stud pattern for the wheels is 5x100? Could anyone advise me on the offset of the wheels, etc for when buying aftermarket wheels? I’m not that clued up on them.

and for anyone who has owned the same sort of car, what are some general modifications you did to the car to improve anything from basic engine performance, driveability, servicing, and general things I should keep and eye out for, whether it could be problematic or not? 

Any help is appreciated

Cheers.

Edited by Shibe

9 hours ago, Shibe said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but the stud pattern for the wheels is 5x100? Could anyone advise me on the offset of the wheels, etc for when buying aftermarket wheels? I’m not that clued up on them.

I think all subarus use 5x100 wheels. As for the offset my guess would be +55 but this needs to be confirmed.

Have a look at this, it might help : https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239019

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, delta said:

I think all subarus use 5x100 wheels. As for the offset my guess would be +55 but this needs to be confirmed.

Have a look at this, it might help : https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239019

Looks like it shares the same wheels as the 08 2.5 Sedan. Mines a hatch but the wheels are indentcle. +55 it is.

5x100 like Toyota since they own part of Subaru.

offset is high around 50 give or take 5mm. Lower pushed wheels towards outside or car. Also wider rims need offset a adjusted to make them fit.

2004 up sti is 5x114.3

wrx. 2014 up and outback can also be 5x114.3

cheapest option find some factory rims you like with good tyres from a higher model.

i think struts fit with springs, but not springs alone as they are bigger. Some sti ones with lowering springs on trademe.

front may sit high though as maybe designed for more weigh in front with 2.5 and turbo etc.

Smart people will answer soon...

plus non WRX and sti have no rear swaybar so lean like boats around corners

Edited by Gripless

Yep I had one of these.

You can fit Wrx/Sgt Struts but not sti struts iirc. I had wrx struts with sti springs but still really high off the ground. I would look for some lowering springs $400-$600 or adjustable coilovers if you dont mind spending 2k. I also put on the Sti sway bar which is a nice little upgrade.

@Gripless I think some come with rear sway bar, my 2008 2.0r came with one. wasn't very thick tho. prob 15mm.

The hatch with lowered suspension with some nice wheels do look sick as...

Another mod is the sti rear spoiler, its expensive for just a mod that looks cool but it does make it look way better.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Subru said:

Yep I had one of these.

You can fit Wrx/Sgt Struts but not sti struts iirc. I had wrx struts with sti springs but still really high off the ground. I would look for some lowering springs $400-$600 or adjustable coilovers if you dont mind spending 2k. I also put on the Sti sway bar which is a nice little upgrade.

@Gripless I think some come with rear sway bar, my 2008 2.0r came with one. wasn't very thick tho. prob 15mm.

The hatch with lowered suspension with some nice wheels do look sick as...

Another mod is the sti rear spoiler, its expensive for just a mod that looks cool but it does make it look way better.

This is excellent. Thank you. Do you think lowering springs on factory struts would ride okay or would it be a tad harsh?

20 minutes ago, Shibe said:

This is excellent. Thank you. Do you think lowering springs on factory struts would ride okay or would it be a tad harsh?

Im not too knowledgeable on this topic but yes It could be more harsh but on a 2.0r its not gonna be too bad as its so soft for a start. Plenty of people have lowering springs on stock shocks, I have lowering springs on my Sti and its a little bit harsher but I like it. It also depends on the spring you buy, some are harder than others or are progressive springs so it has some tight coils for handling when you get into a corner and some loose coils for comfort.

The lower you go the harder the ride plus you can't get as wide rims or they tend to rub somewhere.

also the bigger the rims the harder the ride since less tyre to flex and the higher air pressure they use.

also the cheaper heavier rims are worse ride too :(

the newer WRX and sti are stiffer than the older cars since the chassis is more rigid to start.

mine has lowering springs with 18" rims and is like a hitting a wall with any bump over about 15mm open the open road. Not that there are too many like that and it looks good. Most likely it will get higher when I get new suspension at some stage.

36 minutes ago, Gripless said:

The lower you go the harder the ride plus you can't get as wide rims or they tend to rub somewhere.

also the bigger the rims the harder the ride since less tyre to flex and the higher air pressure they use.

also the cheaper heavier rims are worse ride too :(

the newer WRX and sti are stiffer than the older cars since the chassis is more rigid to start.

mine has lowering springs with 18" rims and is like a hitting a wall with any bump over about 15mm open the open road. Not that there are too many like that and it looks good. Most likely it will get higher when I get new suspension at some stage.

Hmm so maybe just low springs instead of super low..

• Like 1

You can always see if a car dealer has already lowered then go test drive it.

it's look vs handling so it's personal preference as to what you can live with.

i want to keep mine as low as it is but the experts tell me it would be better about 20mm higher. Think it's about 30mm drop is ideal.

Edited by Gripless
Autocorrect F*** up

On 1/9/2018 at 8:18 PM, Gripless said:

You can always see if a car dealer has already lowered then go test drive it.

it's look vs handling so it's personal preference as to what you can live with.

i want to keep mine as low as it is but the experts tell me it would be better about 20mm higher. Think it's about 30mm drop is ideal.

So I’ve found a set of Impreza RS-R adjustable suspension on trademe for $599 that we’re in an 09 WRX. Surely these would fit my car?

4 minutes ago, Shibe said:

So I’ve found a set of Impreza RS-R adjustable suspension on trademe for $599 that we’re in an 09 WRX. Surely these would fit my car?

They prob will (someone else can say) but u will also need to get them certified which is another $500 ish

1 hour ago, Subru said:

They prob will (someone else can say) but u will also need to get them certified which is another $500 ish

That is true. I'm sure I can find some work around for a cert, or just drive without one until my WOF is due haha. It seems like they're an extremely good deal at 599, but yeah best to check with someone else is they fit. The company website that also sells them seems to only have models for Impreza then WRX STI, no standard WRX. so from what i've read on this forum, WRX must fall under the same category in suspension at Impreza as WRX stuff fits in regular ol' Imprezas.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Shibe said:

That is true. I'm sure I can find some work around for a cert, or just drive without one until my WOF is due haha. It seems like they're an extremely good deal at 599, but yeah best to check with someone else is they fit. The company website that also sells them seems to only have models for Impreza then WRX STI, no standard WRX. so from what i've read on this forum, WRX must fall under the same category in suspension at Impreza as WRX stuff fits in regular ol' Imprezas.

If you stack a car on adjusties and have no cert, it will instantly void your insurance. Just something to consider. Also if you get pink stickered it will add a fair bit of expense to the whole operation.

To be honest, adjusties are a S*** idea on a daily.

No cert invalidates your insurance even if you have a WOF.

atleast when they are cheap the insurance company can accept the cost. You get about 10% of the insured value as mods with most before you have to go to a more expensive performance friendly company.

For 09 up there is no WRX STI, there is a WRX and an STI. Subaru dropped the wrx from the sti to make seperate the sti more which is why the sti was widebody and the WRX wasn't, until they made WRX wide body at the end, I guess to use up the over supply of sti panels.

so it's too hard to tell what things fit without the chassis codes.

20 hours ago, boon said:

If you stack a car on adjusties and have no cert, it will instantly void your insurance. Just something to consider. Also if you get pink stickered it will add a fair bit of expense to the whole operation.

To be honest, adjusties are a S*** idea on a daily.

That is a very good point.. 

maybe just springs then.