Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Whole car shudders when clutch is released???

This is actually my old 2008 Impreza 2.0R. Before new clutch it was 100% normal but after it was shuddering quite bad and Snag noticed a few nuts loose including the anti-pitch mount and something under the car. After these were tightened it was better but still NOT normal (I drove it just today). It doesnt shudder if you use around 2k rpm then release clutch but 1.5k or less it usually does and you can really feel it. 

I assume something is still loose.

The guys who installed the clutch is not a subaru shop or anything, just our regular mechanic. The fact they left engine mounts loose is just stupid but they are usually pretty good with everything else we give them.

• Like 1

So in neutral with handbrake on does it shudder? Or does it shudder when clutch held in.

any noise in the those same tests?

does it shudder on deceleration as well, i.e. Coming to a stop?

is it better down hill, less engine load?

maybe the kit wasn't quite the right fit or was faulty.

check the gearbox mounts are all bolted up correctly and the center drive shaft mount is tight.

• Like 1

When its in nuetral it is fine, it only happened when starting in first or changing down from 3rd to 2nd if you put in 2nd and slowly release the clutch.

And im glad you mentioned the mounts and bolts cause when it came back from a clutch change there was a loose anti-pitch engine mount which was real lose and also a bolt holding the exhaust which just made it rattle but i'm wondering if there is another loose mount.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Yeah that's right @Subru my comment about 3rd to 2nd might not have anything to do with it but its mainly when low rpm's in first/starting off

• Like 1

Gearbox mount is in 3 parts. Rubber main mount to gearbox and then two plates that have figure 8 looking bushes between them.

i have a spare set of those 8 if they are dead or missing, or get whiteline ones. Main mount I've only got is 6 speed one spare.

buts sounds like an imbalance from clutch cover not bolted in fully or disc with incorrect thickness or figment to spigot. Low rpm imbalances are worse. Guess the engine isn't rough with the car in neutral so leaves clutch or mounts as main causes.

You need to check all the way back to diff where driveshaft connects. Guess if you're already finding loose bolts then there will be more.

• Like 1

Mine does this also, however ive been told its just what heavy duty clutches do

Super annoying in traffic, as the clutch grabs it shudders the whole engine - might have to get ajay to check the gearbox mounts - they are probably the originals lol :P 

3 minutes ago, Subru said:

xD I hope they didnt put a heavy duty clutch in a impreza 2.0R... I doubt this so I assume somethings loose..

Part number on invoice would answer that. Or the massive price...

Maybe they didn't notice the twin plate written on the box xD

10 hours ago, Gripless said:

Gearbox mount is in 3 parts. Rubber main mount to gearbox and then two plates that have figure 8 looking bushes between them.

i have a spare set of those 8 if they are dead or missing, or get whiteline ones. Main mount I've only got is 6 speed one spare.

buts sounds like an imbalance from clutch cover not bolted in fully or disc with incorrect thickness or figment to spigot. Low rpm imbalances are worse. Guess the engine isn't rough with the car in neutral so leaves clutch or mounts as main causes.

You need to check all the way back to diff where driveshaft connects. Guess if you're already finding loose bolts then there will be more.

Ok thanks heaps il look into it - im bout to head down south right now so.. when i get back-  i i need more of those plates ill get back to you thanks.

9 hours ago, THUNDA said:

Mine does this also, however ive been told its just what heavy duty clutches do

Super annoying in traffic, as the clutch grabs it shudders the whole engine - might have to get ajay to check the gearbox mounts - they are probably the originals lol :P 

Yeah i don't think it has a heavy duty clutch cause the one before it didn't do it and we just a asked for a replacement, if it is the need a wedgie cause after they left all sorts of engine mounts loose i was angry a.f. so @Gripless could well be on the money but thanks for reply

19 hours ago, boostin said:

Dual mass flywheel? Not many places can machine them as they need disassembly. DMFs are normally goosed by the time the clutch is worn too, and need replacement. Usually way cheaper to get a DMF solid replacement kit.

Went this route on my BP, best decision I ever made! It costing one thousandddd dollars less than the DMF kit also helped make that decision...

• Like 1