Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Recommendations for good, NON-adjustable suspension?

Berg

Someone put leggy suspension in the STi Foz at some point to save money. (To be fair, rear OEM is expensive for these cars ) Don't want a cert just yet. Need new suspension for all four corners. 

Keen to know if anyone has recommendations?

You could try the KYB AGX struts. You can get them from rockauto.com.

They are damper adjustable but not height adjustable so no certification needed, @calebwrx has them.

They are supposedly one of the better performing options before going adjustable, I haven't tried them myself but I am planning on buying a set if my STI struts start to fail.

• Like 1

I've had the KYB AGX a few times before, they are factory shocks and are rebranded as many other models. It's possible the OEM ones are KYB as well. AGX have pretty usable adjustment range for 4 levels, good enough for road and track. Dials are nice and big so easy to check and turn if they are bottom adjustment otherwise little screwdriver needed if mounted on top.

There is always the option of getting Koni inserts fitted into the factory shocks. Basically they gut the factory stuff and keep the mounts and spring seat and fit a Koni damper inside. http://www.GeorgeStock.co.nz does both Koni and KYB AGX series.

Monroe are fine for the price is right, i.e. Know someone who works at repco or similar and gets a discount. Or holiday sales like this weekend may have discounts.

Almost any OEM like struts will be a big improvement over the worn ones you have.

bilstein or other factory shocks from someone who's gone to adjustable is always an option if you can find low km ones.

things to watch out for are any mounting points for Swaybars(not sure affects Subaru) and brake/abs lines that may change between models. But you can get around the line mount issue pretty cheaply.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:58 PM, Berg said:

Someone put leggy suspension in the STi Foz at some point to save money. (To be fair, rear OEM is expensive for these cars ) Don't want a cert just yet. Need new suspension for all four corners. 

Keen to know if anyone has recommendations?

I have this STi suspension setup which would bolt straight to your STi Foz

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/51354-fs-02-04-wrx-sti-suspension-cobra-lowered-springs/

wrx-sti-cobra.jpg?dl=1

15 hours ago, IZichard said:

You could try the KYB AGX struts. You can get them from rockauto.com.

They are damper adjustable but not height adjustable so no certification needed, @calebwrx has them.

They are supposedly one of the better performing options before going adjustable, I haven't tried them myself but I am planning on buying a set if my STI struts start to fail.

AGXs are great - maybe a little bit harsh for everyday driving even on the softest setting, but everyone's tolerance is different. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, calebwrx said:

AGXs are great - maybe a little bit harsh for everyday driving even on the softest setting, but everyone's tolerance is different. 

Very true, I'd say I'm very tolerant and prefer handling over comfort.

but that's all combined with seats and tires as well.

Going to bigger than stick rims will make them seem more firm.

If you have nicer fatter seats in a foz then they won't seem as hard. 

Raceseats, 40 profile tires and AGX not idea for daily but it lived with it. After about 4+ hours non stop driving you kind of start to wonder if it's worth it. Then you get to twisty roads and forget again.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Timmah said:

How do you find the MCA's?

Limit is now the seat, and the (presumed) human turning the steering wheel. Also, ride is semi hard / urgent with ample road feedback, but not uncomfortably so. Sometimes it's hard to fine tune the stereo volume with bumps ;-) Drove 700km in a day with less fatigue than expected. I'm no "hellaflush" guy, so plenty of suspension travel. 

Subjective opinion: love the product.

• Like 1