Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Is EJ15x engine interference design?

syy0628

HI,

I have a my98 imprezaCZ beater with ej151 engine, Does anyone know if they are interference design? I can hear chirping noise coming from the timing cover area and some burnt rubber smell when the engine is warm, I suspect the tensioner is gone. I know that ej18s are non-inference, but what about ej15s, Can't seems to able to find much info about ej15s since it's a JDM only engine.

Thanks.

Edited by syy0628
edit
  • Like 1

Only thing I could find was on Wiki

The SOHC EJ Subaru boxer engines were non-interference engines through 1995, run by a single timing belt driving both cams (both sides of the engine) and the water pump. Because they are non-interference engines, if the timing belt fails, the engine of the models up to 1995 will not be damaged. The oil pump is driven directly from the crank shaft and the waterpump by the timing belt. All DOHC and 1998-up SOHC EJ engines are interference engines, if the timing belt fails the valves will likely be damaged.

So it looks like it will be an interference model

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Only thing I could find was on Wiki

The SOHC EJ Subaru boxer engines were non-interference engines through 1995, run by a single timing belt driving both cams (both sides of the engine) and the water pump. Because they are non-interference engines, if the timing belt fails, the engine of the models up to 1995 will not be damaged. The oil pump is driven directly from the crank shaft and the waterpump by the timing belt. All DOHC and 1998-up SOHC EJ engines are interference engines, if the timing belt fails the valves will likely be damaged.

So it looks like it will be an interference model

Thanks for the reply, but those wikis were edited by American who does not know there exist a 1.5 EJ engine in the first place. And north-American market never got the phase 2 ej15 and ej18 engine, so from their perspective, all Subaru phase 2 engine are interference.   I think the phase 2 ej18xs are still none-interference as I have read those from somewhere.  Those engine with such short Stroke and low compression ratio don't really make sense to be interference.

Edited by syy0628
edit

12 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Nothing worse than looking for info and finding none, or its just the USDM info, or completely wrong!

Good luck with your search

I almost hate the info floating on some google search result, I was working on my e36 a few weeks before, and the info from some US forum are so misleading, that I spent hours taking things apart only to find that it's not there.  On euro-based forum, people will kindly point out the market of the car, and if it is LHD or RHD. On US-forum however, they just assume they are the only human on earth. what makes it worse is that you can't tell it is US forum from the URL like you can for the rest of the world.

• General Member
24 minutes ago, boostin said:

not worry about broken valves

heh but if a belt snaped it's kinda nice to know before you whip a a new belt on that you might want to replace the valves too IF they are likely to be busted?

Didn't find much about it, found on some Russian site that the phare2 1.5 and 1.8 engine's heads is different to the phare1 1.5,1.6,1.8 engine, the timing belt is longer, the roller wheel is different to the phare1 engine, and all phare2 SOHC seems to use the same timing belt kit. So it is more likely to be an interference engine.

On my WRX, I once did the timing kit with only 60000kms and 6 years on them to be safe (overdue based on time), everything was in good condition, even the timing mark on the belt is still visible, so I guess in nice nz climate, you can probably get 100000kms or 10 years out of your Subaru's timing kit quite safely(it was a Gate kit), if it was done properly together with all kind of "while you are in there" stuff. (I end up putting this used kit with 60000kms onto my buddy's cheap NA legacy,  I looped the water pump turbo outlet and inlet, and It is still working fine after a bit more than one year.)

But on this Impreza 1.5  according to the writing in the engine bay, the belt has only done 80000, but the noise and the burnt smell really resembles a wobbly pulley killing the belt somewhere in there. I got the car for $500, so $500 timing kit seems to be a bit too much. hence looking for proof that I don't have to fix it right now. I can be really cheap when it comes to cheap beater car.

Edited by syy0628

But you don't have to do the whole kit. Sure it's recommended, but just replace the bad bits if you're on a budget. Or drive it until it stops and throw a second-hand engine at it. An EJ15 can't be more than 500 bucks surely? 

@Joker, the easiest way to test for valve damage after a broken cam belt is to put a new belt on and turn the key. You'll know pretty quickly if it's ok or not.

• Like 2