Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Speaker r recommendation for highs and mids (component)

Berg

Just scored a prs-d4200f and prs-d1200spl to complement my 80prs :D

I've heard though that the pioneer speakers aren't as warm as say Hertz, Focal, Infinity etc. Can't find an active car audio forum for NZ to ask, my Google-Fu must be weak. 

Before I ask some installers, does anyone have opinions on speakers for good sound quality? Not looking for rear fill, only front tweeters, mids and a rear sub.

Edit: old stock on eBay is very much considered! (I like saving money)

If you want something nice get alpine dddrive. Sound better than almost anything else. You have to cut them above 63Hz for best results, but that's the same with most speakers. Now only about $400 a pair but when released $1400. Ultra light cones and extremely lightweight magnets as push pull setup.

the rears just use the dddrive mids and xover without the tweeter, keeps the sound stage forward and helps with road noise that covers mid bass. Or they make tweeter in cone rears as well.

It's worth the rear mids as road noise does really kills the mid bass and unless you over drive the fronts with eq which is never as good.

Also helps with the fact you have a 12" sub as its creates a bigger gap for the mids to fill in.

get the foam bass rings or make your own which is cheaper than the $39 to seal the speaker to the inner door skin.

with good processor most speakers are correctable, though silk tweeters are far sweeter to start with.

pioneer you need the cheaper ones or those old yellow cone ones to have nice clean sound.

rockford punch are pretty bad these days.

kicker and clarion make some nice models at reasonable prices.

Someone has the JVC wooden cones for $799 new currently on trademe. Come in full fancy case and rrp was 4K

what music do you listen too?

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

I enjoy a diverse range of music ^_^

Vocal, accoustic, electronic, metal, classical, jazz etc.

Will look into getting some dd drive speakers, although they look "current" so little chance I can score them cheap as I have done with the rest of my setup.

Alpine do make sexy speakers, will have to compare at that price with Hertz I think. 

morel make some very good car speakers and also raw drivers for diy.

forget wooden cones, you can even get their carbon fibre/rohacell tech (got them in my home speakers and they are the bees knees)

israeli company  :P

Edited by newsuba
  • Like 1

@newsuba Yes morel make awesome speakers, I listen to them every day just not in the car.

http://imageloudspeakers.nz/series-image/

PPI flat subs where made with the same tech as aircraft landing gear any military driven country makes good spin off tech. Pretty sure Sky decoders used the retired Israel encryption in the first generation, which is why is was so long before it got cracked.

@Berg dddrive have been around about 20 years so they do appear at low prices. 

if I knew I was going to add the sub I would have gotten the alpine speakers. Even the base model is hard to beat if you have a sub. Thought I'd be sub less for a lot longer so got the infinity/Jbl/Harmon ones as they have far more bottom end.

• Like 1

nice.

which model do you have ?

petite performa 2 + mass here

did you know image has changed hands ?

image founder chris ball sold the company as a going concern to a guy called arnold paik, who has revised/borked the website with some distinctly non-image designs.

23wl4lc.jpg

• Like 1

@newsuba no haven't seen Chris in years. But I did notice it was getting hard to find the speakers locally. At a guess an importer was making it hard for stores to stock brands they didn't sell.

Started with a couple of different pairs of 302's that I got super cheap. Chris helped sort getting one of the X overs fixed and recover the grills.

Still have

studio reference (large bookshelf)

Avs 10" peerless powered sub

414 (not sure) the ones with the 10" side woofers and single 16cm mid

Avc 2.5 center, dual 16cm woofers

just have reference ones on my desk currently.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the advice. Looked at some fancy recommendations, but went semi-budget :-p

Outcome: went Alpine R-S65C  components in the stock foz front door  and tweeter enclosures. Running 2 ohm @ 150W RMS. Can't tell they're not factory!

Haven't installed sound deadening yet,  they sometimes seem to lack lower mid bass. (Heard deadening can help with that)

Any suggestions to increase lower-mid bass appreciated. Sub rocks, but I'm not getting the wow factor from the lower-mid.

They're quite clear however. Some songs have terrible sampling and/or sound recording, which I can now hear :o

It's about sealing the front of the speaker from the rear to improve bass. If air can pass around the hole in the door then you get less bass.

also give them a week to stretch and get better if you haven't, can take 24 hours of playing to stretch the surounds fully.

i just put foam rings to seal them to the door inner plastic or you can seal the whole door with sound deadening.

• Like 1

Thanks. Similar needs to an ear drum I guess. 

Tip: don't be a hero and start with the volume low. Increase very slowly until you can hear all the detail you want to hear- that's your listening volume. Don't do what I did and decide that nice round numbers divisible by 5 and 2 are increments :-/ And watch your source voltage!

Edited by Berg
Ears are ouchy