Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Sway bar banging

So I replaced the stock sway bar in my Forester STI with a 22mm Whiteline one...

After that I heard a loud clunking when I was taking a sharp corner. After some GoPro investigation...

I found that the sway bar was sliding laterally. 

I made some collars to fit to the bar inside of the mounts, which seems to have largely stopped the sliding. 

But now I am getting a loud banging noise when I turn into driveways when the left wheel wants to be dangling in the air (possibly only when turning left into driveways). 

I jacked the car up and when the suspension is fully drooping, the end links look like this: 

wkMipxp.jpg  NnmDzDH.jpg

And when I compress the RHS with a jack, the RHS end link looks like this...  (looks a bit bent too)

KKw8Kgi.jpg

The other theory I have is that the sway bar might be hitting the fuel filler pipe.

The banging seems to come from both sides of the car. 

Help!

• Admin

No idea about the orientation. Seem to be hanging way too far over, want it mostly vertical. Are there any marks on the bar from hits?

Also make sure the endlinks are done up super tight. Mine can seem tight but still clunk and need an extra nip up to not do so as the swaybar hole is quite a bit larger than the endlink bolt.

• Like 1

When you get a stiffer sway bar the wheels can lift off the ground, mine does it too. 

Looks like there could be something weird going on with the end links. Looks like the end links are just bending over instead of pushing the sway bar up like it should do.

Here is the Forester whiteline kit on the website. Is this the one you got?

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=BSR35XZ&sq=27534

2 hours ago, Subru said:

When you get a stiffer sway bar the wheels can lift off the ground, mine does it too. 

Looks like there could be something weird going on with the end links. Looks like the end links are just bending over instead of pushing the sway bar up like it should do.

Here is the Forester whiteline kit on the website. Is this the one you got?

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=BSR35XZ&sq=27534

I got the sway bar from @Scoobydoo. I think it is this one (looking at the shape of it): http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=BSR36Z&sq=28704

I am running WRX STI Genome struts and springs but maybe the sway bar isn't wide enough... 

It looks like the bar is being compressed and bowing in the middle most likely from the links binding up from the angle. Could even be hitting the exhaust as it bows.

Do you have stock lower arms? As it looks like the bar is too narrow.

It should end directly above the link mount for links that have both bolts on the same side.

you may get away with swapping to links that have bolts coming out opposite sides.

try putting the collars on the outside of the mount first that will stop the compression a little but it won't solve the problem.

Those collars  need to be close to the mounts or it will still move and bang about. Normally the rubber bushes stick out so the collars have something to rest against.

Long story short, that bar does not fit your car with those links.

Id be removing it if you daily drive it until you get a fix.

you're loading that big arse bar and it will at some point either cause the back end to become unpredictable or tear a link or mount out and cause damage,

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Gripless said:

It looks like the bar is being compressed and bowing in the middle most likely from the links binding up from the angle. Could even be hitting the exhaust as it bows.

Do you have stock lower arms? As it looks like the bar is too narrow.

It should end directly above the link mount for links that have both bolts on the same side.

you may get away with swapping to links that have bolts coming out opposite sides.

try putting the collars on the outside of the mount first that will stop the compression a little but it won't solve the problem.

Those collars  need to be close to the mounts or it will still move and bang about. Normally the rubber bushes stick out so the collars have something to rest against.

Long story short, that bar does not fit your car with those links.

Id be removing it if you daily drive it until you get a fix.

you're loading that big arse bar and it will at some point either cause the back end to become unpredictable or tear a link or mount out and cause damage,

Yep I'll go back to the stock sway bar until I figure out which one I need to get.

Interestingly this is on Trademe: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/suspension/auction-1550258779.htm?rsqid=61de7a3f678c40b2af091ddbcf434c39

This matches what mine looks like (including the yellow bushes vs the black ones on the forester specific BSR35XZ).

On the auction it says it should fit an SG forester, but when you go on the whiteline website it says it's for a WRX...  

I have the stock Forester STI lower arms. Are these the same as the stock XT lower arms? 

Edited by mtbtimr

BSR35XZ is suitable for the following vehicles. Select a vehicle for specific fitment details:

SUBARU FORESTER SG INCL TURBOtransp1.gif(9/2002-8/2008)

From whiteline site, but they don't have sti listed anywhere for forester. That's using the vehicle selector to list parts not looking at the part number directly.

But that's the same as the auction.

If you measure the bar between the mounts are they the same?

On further thinking.. in my last Forester, I remember that I also had rather angled end links. I got some adjustable links and they helped.

The STi lower arms are different to the XT ones.. you can attach a bracing kit to the XT arms that the STi arms don't need.

The difference in the bushes being black vs yellow... the black ones are their 'greaseless' variety, but other than that they are the same. However I'd still use some grease though as I've heard the 'greaseless' ones can lose their fluidity and start squeaking after a while.

Guess you didn't match them up and see if it's shorter on one side or both.

trademe 1552104803 has the short link that can be rotated. If one side was shorter you could swap to that and then it may stay in line.

or measure up the bar and yours and email whiteline to see what it really is and what you should have.