Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Modding a Legacy 3.0R?

OGTribal

5 hours ago, GorGasmSpecB said:

Yep, what a chump ;P

I couldn't figure out how long it has been.  That means I must have had it in 2009 or something :o  Almost a decade ago!

First registered in 09. I'm sure that the older I get, the faster the days (years) go by!

I spent a lot of time working out the best mods for the 3.0R when I had it.

By far the best to start with is an ECU remap. For remote tunes, if you have some patience and can deal with long waits, then Matt McLeod (kido tunes) does amazing work on the 3.0R. If you want someone responsive that does a reasonably good job  XRT from Barbados does a reasonable job too.

The Raptor headers do not add a lot of extra power, but they do free up the top end of the rev range so the car will rev freely all the way from a standstill to the redline. You could spend up large on a custom exhaust, but in reality all you need is the headers and then remove the 3rd cat from the system. Once you go to a bigger bore, even a 2.25" you will lose power in most cases.

With these small mods mine was 164kw atw from memory. Which equates to around 210 at the fly.

Don't buy an auto unless you really have to. The 3.0R with a 6 Speed has plenty of torque once tuned so you barely need to change gears in traffic anyhow. No need for a heavy duty clutch in these. The standard STI based unit works just fine unless you are supercharging it.

The stock suspension is OK, but if you can afford some Sti pink springs or a set of swift springs it will really help the stance a bit and stop it nose diving a bit when you really push it. A rear sway bar upgrade really makes it turn in like it should and pretty eliminates the understeer that these have.

That's my 10c

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, willisnz said:

+1 for @McDoof said.  You will pay a lot more for an manual though, especially a specB, as they seem to be a lot rarer.

Yes, they are quite rare, especially if you want a facelift model. But worth the extra $$ if you want a car that is a true drivers machine.

• Like 1

Even an auto facelift (2006) spec.B seems to be over 10k... This realization is what made me buy a 5th gen as they don't cost that much more, though I realise not everyone is a fan of their looks:)

Whereas a pre-facelift auto (non spec.B, probably still has bilsteins) with ~100kms on the clock can probably be picked up for 5-6k if you hunt around.

1 hour ago, McDoof said:

I spent a lot of time working out the best mods for the 3.0R when I had it.

By far the best to start with is an ECU remap.

The more I read that, the more I'm thinking that I should get an ECU remap ...

Still have to get the TCU updated first

11 minutes ago, delta said:

The more I read that, the more I'm thinking that I should get an ECU remap ...

Still have to get the TCU updated first

Me too. What's with the comments re. Autos not benefiting that much from a tune though?

• 5 weeks later...

Found this while cleaning out this morning.

Dyno run from a while ago. 163kw at the wheels and a nice flat torque table. I will see if I can find the one that has the stock map on it too.

26943875317_84b5802512_o.jpg

Edited by McDoof
  • Like 2