Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Servicing A Turbo Subaru

Shibe

Sorry if this has already been a thread before,

but i recently got picked up an 07' Impreza S-GT, 2.0 Turbo 5 Speed. Excellent car and I'm having a blast driving it. 

Anyway, the car has just under 170000 k's and I believe it's time for me to do a service - oil, filter, etc.

What are some other things you guys generally do when servicing your turbo Subaru's? I was having a gander at servicing videos and the general service seemed to include cleaning the AFM, resetting the ECU, and top engine cleaning? I feel like some of it is a bit unnecessary but and pointers are greatly appreciated. I feel and oil and filter change would be sufficient enough? 

• Like 1

You can generally get away with just doing the oil and filter and a good visual check over, I wouldn't touch the AFM sensor, if its all working correctly leave it alone, reset the ECU if you like but again if its running fine don't bother. While you're doing the filter check for any oil around the rocker cover gaskets and head gaskets, these do fail over time. Check the intake filter and coolant level and that's about all I do. 

You will have to do the cambelt at some stage in the future if it hasn't been done, generally they are due every 100,000k's

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, YoungOne said:

You can generally get away with just doing the oil and filter and a good visual check over, I wouldn't touch the AFM sensor, if its all working correctly leave it alone, reset the ECU if you like but again if its running fine don't bother. While you're doing the filter check for any oil around the rocker cover gaskets and head gaskets, these do fail over time. Check the intake filter and coolant level and that's about all I do. 

You will have to do the cambelt at some stage in the future if it hasn't been done, generally they are due every 100,000k's

Excellent, thanks man.

Yeah Cambelt was done at 98000 k's so will be due in the next 15-20 thousand. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shibe said:

Excellent, thanks man.

Yeah Cambelt was done at 98000 k's so will be due in the next 15-20 thousand. 

As YoungOne mentioned oil/filter and keep an eye on other areas. I would personally not let the Cambelt run right to the KM just to ensure it isn't getting weak. Maybe replace that in the next 10k and you should be good :D personal preference though!

On 4/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, Inked said:

As YoungOne mentioned oil/filter and keep an eye on other areas. I would personally not let the Cambelt run right to the KM just to ensure it isn't getting weak. Maybe replace that in the next 10k and you should be good :D personal preference though!

A very good rule to go by! I'll have to set the money aside to get it done haha

• 3 years later...

Hey guys, apologies for dredging up an old thread but seems relevant to me.  I'm about to do my first oil change on my BR9 2.5gt Legacy.  I've come across the turbo banjo bolt filter in the oil feed line that according to some online sources should be either flushed or removed completely.  Anyone have any feedback on this?  Classic Youtube clip where the guy just punched a pick right through it... guess that pushed him down the remove it route!

On another note also having a hard time getting the seatbelt chime to shut up.  Done the IGN on and 20 times buckle/unbuckle, more than 20 times, turn IGN off again after, turn car on after completing but nothing seems to stick.  Drives me mad reversing trailers, getting out at the letterbox etc.  Advice on that most appreciated.

On 26/07/2021 at 9:50 PM, Peas said:

On another note also having a hard time getting the seatbelt chime to shut up.  Done the IGN on and 20 times buckle/unbuckle, more than 20 times, turn IGN off again after, turn car on after completing but nothing seems to stick.  Drives me mad reversing trailers, getting out at the letterbox etc.  Advice on that most appreciated.

It will still do the beep for about 6 beeps then should stop. Make sure you put the belt in all the way and dont go to fast. Seems most fail cos they do it too fast for the computer to think its latched

• 3 weeks later...

Just done the oil and filter change.  It's not as easy as the EZ30 that's for sure.  The sump bung is a long way back and the oil filter is a PITA to get a hold of.  Its tucked up past the exhaust manifold and then pretty much wrapped in turbo associated air lines.  What's the best way people tighten them up?  I could get it on without too much hassle but its so hard to get any purchase on it with my hand once the gasket makes contact.

Seatbelt still chiming away but to be honest I think that I need to find the component making the noise and stuff a screwdriver through it.  You can't breathe in the car without it telling you all about it!  Any leads for accessing the "speaker" that is responsible for my mental frustration?