Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

v5 wrx

gc8wrx

Just got my first car, 1999 wrx v5 and I was trying to find basic factory information on it but could only find stuff on about the sti's anyone know any good sites to look up basic information and stats on it? 

thanks.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club, congrats on your first car!

http://www.type-ra.com/what-model-is-my-impreza/

If you find the model code (eg. GC8F48D), which you should find on the plate on the passenger strut tower under the bonnet. Then you can match it to the car on the website and see some information about it.

http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-model-code/search.php?query=GC8F48D

There isn't much info about non ra cars on there though unfortunately.

This website lists a little more but not a whole lot.

http://pacificcoastjdm.com/review/subaru/imprezagc8/stats

GC8F48D: Engine EJ207, Power 280ps, Torque 249lb/f, weight 1270kg

• Admin

Nice man. That car was in my garage just a fortnight ago.

Fitted that exhaust to it. Was from my limited RA. Super nice exhaust. I'm very jealous.

I had a good look under that car while it was here too. 

Also, I did a bit of research on the model code - very unique model code with a lot of conflicting information. Really nice car though.

oh sweet as yeah its real tidy I also looked around for the model code and all i have been able to find is people saying on other forums saying that its a uk version or something like that, that gc8gkg8, k is meant to be the number of doors, very wierd.

not really sure about plans for it right now, because its so clean im kinda wondering if i should keep it kinda stock, but also its such a clean canvas if i were to go modding it i will likely keep it to clean mods with genuine parts etc, just try keep it looking good and not beaten up

• Like 1

Can always just pick the other model parts up that bolt on so it's still OEM just newer.

must be some v6-8 parts that fit.

that way you get a little more power for way less spend and it still looks original and tidy.

• Like 1

nice car.

nz new , same spec as uk.

i have an original brochure, i'll post up scans

;)

scans... click pic to make bigger

server mungs pix a bit, if you want a clearer pdf copy, pm me

;)

2qallkw.jpg

2945hli.jpg

spgqkg.jpg

18lzpg.jpg

Edited by newsuba
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, newsuba said:

nice car.

nz new , same spec as uk.

i have an original brochure, i'll post up scans

;)

Beat you to it 

jveOR81.jpg

bPvVu2t.jpg

COjsNZU.jpg

gLarxgA.jpg

JRxdGtG.jpg

WqBmgTf.jpg

ZF37YRN.jpg

x1JyhQ0.jpg

ogwlVFV.jpg

YdUcsmh.jpg

t9ajXfF.jpg

NN31JWa.jpg

This is the year after yours, nz new got colour coded mirrors and door handles on MY00 model years + 6 spoke wheels, that's about the only difference.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gripless said:

Can always just pick the other model parts up that bolt on so it's still OEM just newer.

must be some v6-8 parts that fit.

that way you get a little more power for way less spend and it still looks original and tidy.

Any ideas for what sort of bolt on oem upgrades there are that will increase power but still keep it reliable

1 hour ago, gc8wrx said:

Any ideas for what sort of bolt on oem upgrades there are that will increase power but still keep it reliable

There's not a whole lot you can do for cheap as the standard turbo is just too small, if you wanted to go to a bigger turbo such as a VF24,VF28,VF29 or even better VF30 then the engine will be able to produce the power quite reliably.

Tbh though you're probably better off just putting the money towards a gc8 sti, there's quite a lot of difference that makes them a lot quicker to drive, have previously owned both and they're night and day compared to a standard NZ new wrx, not as good to daily or road trip though imo

12 minutes ago, YoungOne said:

Tbh though you're probably better off just putting the money towards a gc8 sti, there's quite a lot of difference that makes them a lot quicker to drive, have previously owned both and they're night and day compared to a standard NZ new wrx, not as good to daily or road trip though imo

Maybe true a few years ago, but to find a clean and tidy sti wouldn't that be bloody hard?

50 minutes ago, newsuba said:

why is an sti not as good to daily or road trip in ?

maybe the sti coupe with lower gearing can get tiresome over a long distance but the sti sedan and hatch were fine.

haha didn't say they weren't good just not as good, the nz new wrx's have a different final drive (either 3.54 or 3.9 vs Sti's 4.44, I can't remember which) so they sit at a better rpm at 100 + they're a little bit quieter and better on gas 

1 hour ago, Gripless said:

Maybe true a few years ago, but to find a clean and tidy sti wouldn't that be bloody hard?

Good point, may well be outdated logic

• Admin

Could you tell me the 2 letter alpha-numeric ECU code by unbolting the protective ECU plate under the passenger carpet?

I've heard some people do an AFM, injector, ECU and turbo swap for some STI-like power.

You've already got yellow injectors (STI) and I think you have an RA ECU but I'm not sure if that's a WRX RA or an STI edition. Also, I'm not sure if the AFM is STI or not and how to tell - someone else may know - it's an insert type like I've seen on v5/6 STI but not sure if there was a difference like with green/orange sticker ones.

But basically, if you upgrade your fuel, ecu, and air intake + turbo to STI parts the car will be running an STI power map.

FYI when I installed the exhaust the spool difference and response was night and day according to Dan. The down-pipe bell-mouth shapes are completely different with the stock almost blocking off the waste-gate section and the exhaust I installed having a fully open part for gasses to flow through.

Edited by RaKid