Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Confusion with Oil Type for my S-GT

2007 Impreza S-GT, 2.0 Turbo

Bit of confusion with what oil viscosity is the best for my car. Those tablets they have at supercheap that take your make and model were next to no help. Unfortunately I don’t have the owners manual to refer to but today I shuffled through some service history papers with oil changes and they all had used different viscosity oil??

one change used 5w30, one used 5w40, and another used 10w30. How much difference will each of these oils have? Because I was thinking synthetic 5w30 would’ve been the choice for a turbo Subaru but god knows. I prefer to do changes myself as opposed to having someone do it for me. If it helps - my car has just ticked into 170 thousand k’s. Any help or recommendation?

• Admin

KM’s are getting up there but no reason to need anything thicker yet. You get much tapping from the heads?

Dunno at what point it exactly becomes an issue but thicker oils can have detrimental effects on the AVCS operation.

Castrol Edge 5w30 would be my choice. 

I always wait for a decent sale a super cheap and buy 2 so i’ve always got one ready to go

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

KM’s are getting up there but no reason to need anything thicker yet. You get much tapping from the heads?

Dunno at what point it exactly becomes an issue but thicker oils can have detrimental effects on the AVCS operation.

Castrol Edge 5w30 would be my choice. 

I always wait for a decent sale a super cheap and buy 2 so i’ve always got one ready to go

No tapping in the heads. Maybe I’ll just go via the k’s and get a 5w40 synthetic oil. I would imagine that the later oil changes are the ones with 5w40 or 10w40 but some of the invoices weren’t dated/have faded. 

7 minutes ago, chulozumo said:

Up to you, for the sake of a few dollars i run OEM, don't forget the crush washer as well. 

Ah good points. Suppose I can get a genuine filter from any local Subaru dealer? Excuse me gazillion questions. Like most of us on here, I just want the best for my car :D

1 hour ago, GC8E2DD said:

Yeah, become acquainted with Partsouq. Get consumables and other kiff bundled with parts orders to cut down on shipping. We'll have to pay GST on lower value orders soon, so get shopping.

Where are they based? USA?

2 minutes ago, TNHSTI said:

Also agree the oem filters are $9.00NZD +14.42 for Freight which makes even buying 1 filter pretty cheap! if you bought 10x youd be looking around $4.50 per filter! pretty awesome price for an OEM Filter

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=15208AA100

I may as well get a couple when the time comes around. I couldn't find the washer ¬¬

Anything else worth while grabbing there? Oil pan plug?

1 hour ago, TNHSTI said:

Also agree the oem filters are $9.00NZD +14.42 for Freight which makes even buying 1 filter pretty cheap! if you bought 10x youd be looking around $4.50 per filter! pretty awesome price for an OEM Filter

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=15208AA100

Wow, are you paying so much for filters that $23.42 is cheap? I only pay $20. And you know the shipping goes up with each item right?

6 filters plus crush washers is 108 NZD... that $18 for one filter and washer, so not amazingly cheap.

Edited by Loren

• Admin

$15.50 each for 10 including shipping for the part number I used. Would never make an order for just oil filters though. There’s normally a bunch of other things that drops the individual item shipping cost a fair bit

Is $20 trade price at Subaru or something? Sure the one time I got one from there it was more than that. 

Soo i contacted a local subaru dealer/servicer and asked about an oil and filter and they said..

"We have an oil filter here $25.30 including GST
Your oil would be a 5w30 semi synthetic which we have available here"

Semi Synthetic????:confused::confused:

If you read the manuals usually the oils recommended based on the local temperature ranges. If you live up north or the bop and go to ski fields then you'll maybe see enough temp change to care.

5-30 or 5-40 will cover nz easy

10-40 wouldn't hurt unless you live in the Deep South or ski all winter. Even then it'll just take long to start and longer before you can boost the S*** out of it.

its only the rating when the car is cold as it's the viscosity rating, once running its mostly down to oil quality and all the science behind the load and friction modifiers added to it.

• Like 1

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Gripless said:

If you read the manuals usually the oils recommended based on the local temperature ranges. If you live up north or the bop and go to ski fields then you'll maybe see enough temp change to care.

5-30 or 5-40 will cover nz easy

10-40 wouldn't hurt unless you live in the Deep South or ski all winter. Even then it'll just take long to start and longer before you can boost the S*** out of it.

its only the rating when the car is cold as it's the viscosity rating, once running its mostly down to oil quality and all the science behind the load and friction modifiers added to it.

Err.. What?

First number is viscosity when cold, second is when at 100 degrees. 

So when boosting the S*** out of a high KM engine you’ll potentially want a higher second number as clearances won’t be to factory spec anymore. 

Or have I just been misunderstanding things for like forever??...

20 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

$15.50 each for 10 including shipping for the part number I used. Would never make an order for just oil filters though. There’s normally a bunch of other things that drops the individual item shipping cost a fair bit

Is $20 trade price at Subaru or something? Sure the one time I got one from there it was more than that. 

Possibly it's trade price... 

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Err.. What?

First number is viscosity when cold, second is when at 100 degrees. 

So when boosting the S*** out of a high KM engine you’ll potentially want a higher second number as clearances won’t be to factory spec anymore. 

Or have I just been misunderstanding things for like forever??...

lols... no you are correct. 

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1