Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Copper NGK Standard vs NGK V-Power vs G-Power vs Iridium's

Just interested to know the differences and if I should use one or the other. Currently get hesitations when going up hills in low gear as boost builds.

Currently have Copper NGK BKR7E and I heard I should change em every 10k kms, is that correct? Also what Should I Gap them to?

• Like 2

best to confirm with your tuner but mine recommended heat range 7 BCPR7ES which come gapped at 0.8mm which was the desired gap. only $7 each , not as easy to change as in other cars hence why some may prefer the more expensive iridium ones etc. but didnt find any legit reason to have to pay so much more for something you could potentially be more likely to change on a modified vehicle.

12 hours ago, Subru said:

Just interested to know the differences and if I should use one or the other. Currently get hesitations when going up hills in low gear as boost builds.

Currently have Copper NGK BKR7E and I heard I should change em every 10k kms, is that correct? Also what Should I Gap them to?

Yup

Use the ones they tell you to use in the manual - dont over think it :) 

the plugs say they come pre gapped but they dont really. iirc gap them to .7/.8 (gapping them really makes a difference)

Copper is fine dont waste your $$ on iridium :) change them if you think they are causing your hesistation - nice and cheap :) 

• Like 1

Adding my 2 cents...

If it's just a stock car, with no plans to tune it, I'd go Iridium, with a .8 gap. Be careful when checking and gapping Iridium plugs, as the electrode is VERY small, and can break.

You'll need Double Platinum plugs with Wasted Spark ignition.

Coppers are fine if you don't mind changing em often. The electrode is larger than a Iridium plug. But still be careful when gapping.

I went Iridium (NGK BKR6EIX 6418) mainly cos they were on special ($100 for all 4), and my Subaru is my daily. So having something that I know isn't gonna stop working on me one day soon, puts me at rest.

• Like 2

yeh on the note of tuning, most tuners would prefer you bring in with cheaper plugs because its entrely possible during tuning process to get fouled plugs, it's an item you should budget to change during that process so defs copper unless got money to waste

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2018 at 1:28 AM, Individualities said:

Adding my 2 cents...

If it's just a stock car, with no plans to tune it, I'd go Iridium, with a .8 gap. Be careful when checking and gapping Iridium plugs, as the electrode is VERY small, and can break.

You'll need Double Platinum plugs with Wasted Spark ignition.

Coppers are fine if you don't mind changing em often. The electrode is larger than a Iridium plug. But still be careful when gapping.

I went Iridium (NGK BKR6EIX 6418) mainly cos they were on special ($100 for all 4), and my Subaru is my daily. So having something that I know isn't gonna stop working on me one day soon, puts me at rest.

Brought new plugs. They all came with a gap of 0.3 ish. Gapping them to 0.8 seems very big. Is that correct?

Edit. Never mind. I cant read... they are 8mm

• Like 2

pfr6g / bkr6eix i've used without fail in both my tuned v7's and no issues with misfire, until recently with my car. but, they were new plugs, so i knew that wasn't the issue. new coils on, misfire on boost gone. have heard coppers should be done with every oil change, so if you follow the manual, you should be doing em about every 5000-7500km. i personally cant be assed resetting my radio settings and disabling the alarm to remove the battery, ripping out my cold air intake and flipping my windscreen washer out of the way that often.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

pfr6g / bkr6eix i've used without fail in both my tuned v7's and no issues with misfire, until recently with my car. but, they were new plugs, so i knew that wasn't the issue. new coils on, misfire on boost gone. have heard coppers should be done with every oil change, so if you follow the manual, you should be doing em about every 5000-7500km. i personally cant be assed resetting my radio settings and disabling the alarm to remove the battery, ripping out my cold air intake and flipping my windscreen washer out of the way that often.

I did mine without pulling the battery out. Makes it a little more awkward yes, but worth it for not losing all my settings etc.

You can also use Platinum (Double or not) plugs with coil on plug. I can't recall what the life of those are. IIRC, about 40,000-50,000km?

i think iridiums and platinums were about 50k intervals. thats what... 10 sets of coppers or one set of iridiums. 

some quick back of envelope maths tells me that iridiums and platinums are a bigger one off cost, but cheaper long run.

even if you did $7 copper plugs, at 10,000km intervals, that still works out at like $140 for 50,000km and more hassle, than a set of iridiums or platinums that can be had for around the $100 mark and done once. 

plus, alloy heads, steel plugs... the wear on the sparkplug threads are another factor to consider, especially if you are a bit rough

1 hour ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

i think iridiums and platinums were about 50k intervals. thats what... 10 sets of coppers or one set of iridiums. 

some quick back of envelope maths tells me that iridiums and platinums are a bigger one off cost, but cheaper long run.

even if you did $7 copper plugs, at 10,000km intervals, that still works out at like $140 for 50,000km and more hassle, than a set of iridiums or platinums that can be had for around the $100 mark and done once. 

plus, alloy heads, steel plugs... the wear on the sparkplug threads are another factor to consider, especially if you are a bit rough

If you're car is tuned, Coppers are better, due to their ability to take more of a beating compared to the other types.

And also their wider heat range.

(Copper) Anti Seize. I alway put some on my plugs. Same with wheel nuts. Definitely a must if something comes in and out of alloy often. The heat cycles can cause them to seize together. Anti Seize helps a ton for that in my experience.

You can also get other types of Anti Seize (e.g: Nickel). Copper Anti Seize is just what I have on hand.