Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Possum Bourne Hybrid TD05 reviews?

J CHILN

• Admin

The cheapest per kw option is probably still my twisted setup :/ And then you're T3 flange on the uppipe and if you wanted to change turbos down the track all you have to do is modify the downpipe to suit, will support anything up to about GT35 frame so somewhere in the realms of 450-500wkw.

EDIT: Seriously, as an "on a budget" option without wanting to piss your money away if you upgrade in the future it (in my mind anyway) makes a fair bit of sense. In hindsight the turbo probably isn't perfect but with a front mount it should get you bloody close to 280wkw with reasonable spool, and it's built like a brick shithouse, plus down the road if you're feeling flush with cash and want to change to a BorgWarner or a Garrett GTX it's a relatively simple change, and you will easily find someone you can flick the turbo to as it would go bloody good hanging off a SR, RB or 4G63. If my new turbo wasn't v-band on both sides I would have just sold the turbo and used my existing setup but it seemed dumb to cut up what was a pretty expensive custom fabricated turbo setup.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, boon said:

The cheapest per kw option is probably still my twisted setup :/ And then you're T3 flange on the uppipe and if you wanted to change turbos down the track all you have to do is modify the downpipe to suit, will support anything up to about GT35 frame so somewhere in the realms of 450-500wkw.

agreed to what he said above .. not a bad option at all 

2 hours ago, Pappu1 said:

this is exactly what i did for a v7sti:

1) tomei turbo from redline

2) bolt on installation setup 

3) id1000 or similar or decap injectors (cheap option)

4) nice fuel pump (dw200 at the least)

5) tuned it for 275kw on top mount 

easy answer thats proven to have run well

i would suggest u get a nice oil catch can setup as well while at it

this is just one tried and tested option .. im sure there are lots others and with varying cost..

if you replace the above turbo with a td05/20g from redline then expect about 240kw as have done that combo as well....

all this was on 98 pump gas 

wow bro, these kind of things are appealing (getting decent power without spending extreme cash). what was the intake temps like after a few boosts on that one. any heat soak to report? from most logs i seen and in my own experience, temps get quite excessive with the top mount, though my own top mount was not stock so larger size would have made it more prominent to this issue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

wow bro, these kind of things are appealing (getting decent power without spending extreme cash). what was the intake temps like after a few boosts on that one. any heat soak to report? from most logs i seen and in my own experience, temps get quite excessive with the top mount, though my own top mount was not stock so larger size would have made it more prominent to this issue.

i work the intercooler sprayer very hard :)

and yep after a few runs the heat soak does happen but with good cooling it kinda is ok (as long as you are not on the boost all the time)

front mount is the best :)

• Like 3

I got the HDI front mount which costed around $800 then sold BOV, Top mount, and some other air splitters and things and got around $400 back. Thats a cheap Front mount. Once everything is hot there is no extra lag too. Chris (the tuner) was amazed because power, torque and boost was pretty much exactly the same as with top mount after the re-tune. The best part is way less heat soak so you can get your 208kw all the time :D

• Like 3

So was speaking with one of the team at Possum Bourne and they sent me a dyno plot for a V8 running the basic setup exhaust FMIC decapped injectors to show how the TD05 did. It looks good to me? . 

Apologies about the screen shot and editing I didn't want to have the customers number plate and details in there so blocked them out and I am not good with computers so had no clue how else to do it xD

Untitled_zpstp3lvvmq.jpg

• Admin

If that's a TD05 on pump gas I'm a banana. It spools slower than my Holset, and pulls out to the redline. If their version of a "TD05 Hybrid" is a TD06 compressor wheel and a TD06 turbine wheel then it's a TD06.

52 minutes ago, Jono24 said:

You get similar kW on a vf3x turbo with ethanol for less dollars and torque way earlier.

But an uprated fuel system would cost easily as much as a cheap turbo... and then ethanol in a road car is 100% useless.

Agree on the td05 not be worth it though... especially some unknown hybrid... could be anything. Get something

with proven results... i.e. a garrett or borg warner.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Loren said:

But an uprated fuel system would cost easily as much as a cheap turbo... and then ethanol in a road car is 100% useless.

To get 250kW you'll need a fuel pump and larger injectors either way so no extra cost there, just a function of the horsepower being asked for, same goes for a tune.

Most modern efi hose is ethanol rated, I checked the stuff I got from BNT to be sure. This is minimal cost, and most modern cars have fuel hose suitable for ethanol mixes. The factory rails are fine for this power level.

Continental flex fuel sensor, as used by GM and a lot of other manufacturers ~$200

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/nal-13577394/overview/

Flexfuel converter to plug in a flex fuel sensor into a stock ecu if you don't have a Link ecu:

https://flexconverter.com/collections/subaru/products/plug-and-play-converter-with-bluetooth-standard-maf

I'm pretty sure I'm half the price of a TD05...

Don't know why you think ethanol in a road car is useless, if you want to go fast put some ethanol in, if you want more range use petrol. It's not like we hold wide open throttle everywhere we drive. It also means you can have a safe tune for 95 octane and a go fast tune without compromise and don't have to worry about finding 98 to fill up.

The benefits of ethanol are massive, and it is the cheapest dollars per kW you will find all things being equal. I'm keen for you to show me a more cost effective upgrade (I'll do it too, the more cheap kW's the better).

Auckland has E85 on pump in places and you don't have to run much more than E40 to see big benefits (took me from 240kW to 305kW). If there is a few people using ethanol you could chip in and buy a barrel and split it. Down here I can buy 20L from SAS, top up my tank and then enjoy another 65kW at the wheels.

See this post below, V7 sti heads, TS vf36, and a wall of torque.

1 hour ago, Jono24 said:

To get 250kW you'll need a fuel pump and larger injectors either way so no extra cost there, just a function of the horsepower being asked for, same goes for a tune.

Most modern efi hose is ethanol rated, I checked the stuff I got from BNT to be sure. This is minimal cost, and most modern cars have fuel hose suitable for ethanol mixes. The factory rails are fine for this power level.

Continental flex fuel sensor, as used by GM and a lot of other manufacturers ~$200

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/nal-13577394/overview/

Flexfuel converter to plug in a flex fuel sensor into a stock ecu if you don't have a Link ecu:

https://flexconverter.com/collections/subaru/products/plug-and-play-converter-with-bluetooth-standard-maf

I'm pretty sure I'm half the price of a TD05...

Don't know why you think ethanol in a road car is useless, if you want to go fast put some ethanol in, if you want more range use petrol. It's not like we hold wide open throttle everywhere we drive. It also means you can have a safe tune for 95 octane and a go fast tune without compromise and don't have to worry about finding 98 to fill up.

The benefits of ethanol are massive, and it is the cheapest dollars per kW you will find all things being equal. I'm keen for you to show me a more cost effective upgrade (I'll do it too, the more cheap kW's the better).

Auckland has E85 on pump in places and you don't have to run much more than E40 to see big benefits (took me from 240kW to 305kW). If there is a few people using ethanol you could chip in and buy a barrel and split it. Down here I can buy 20L from SAS, top up my tank and then enjoy another 65kW at the wheels.

See this post below, V7 sti heads, TS vf36, and a wall of torque.

So would i see reasonable gains by going to flex fuel. Even with basic forged ej207, factory intake mani and 3inch exhaust with 850cc injectors and vf30 turbo and v7 tmic in my RA?

Will obviously be running a link to run it all

So would i see reasonable gains by going to flex fuel. Even with basic forged ej207, factory intake mani and 3inch exhaust with 850cc injectors and vf30 turbo and v7 tmic in my RA?

Will obviously be running a link to run it all
Have a chat to your tuner and ask for previous examples. I believe there must be ~30kW, but if you are not knock limited it may be less.

That example I posted is possibly at the upper end of power outcomes (I.e. All things being perfect), but I still believe there is good power in ethanol generally.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk