Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

03 BP5 Pops and Bangs Solution - if you don't have overrun tables.

Glentwenty

Hey Guys,

I have been working on a file for our Legacy GTB which doesn't have the overrun tables defined, So this is for you guys who also don't have those tables, as most other threads talk about adjusting the overrun tables.

So i first had a play around with the "Base Timing B" tables but didn't manage to get much of an effect even at -12 at 0.15 load cells between 1800rpm and 6000rpm (Leave 1800rpm under as normal for smooth idling). I ran a log on my way to work to find out that the car on decel and shifting doesn't hit 0.15 load that often, So what i have done is adjusted "Base Timing B and A" tables between 1800 rpm and 6000rpm at 0.15-0.20 Loads.

file.php?id=31793&t=1

file.php?id=31794&t=1

I have Adjusted the "Base Timing Above Threashold" table between 1400-2000rpm to -12 degrees which is similar to the "Base Timing (In Gear)" Tables on other models 

file.php?id=31795

I then added a bit of fuel on "Primary Fueling Open Loop" tables between 1800-3000rpm at about 9:1 AFR at low loads 0.15. This gives it a bit more of a Deep pop rather than a crack. 

This setup has worked very well for our legacy, gives it some big deep pops on upshift and downshift every now and then, and when decelerating and slightly touching the gas pedal you will get a Burble and some big Pops. I tested it at higher RPMs as well and got some nice big cracks. 

Give it a go and post up some videos if you can! Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Harry

Edited by Glentwenty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pappu1 said:

that is some serious fueling right there - no wonder you called it thirsty :)

you know it haha, cant say i've ever tried those settings, thats all Marky.. currently i've got mine running more efficiency in the low load/low rpm zone for those calm high milage road trips and have dialled in all the fun in the spool zone.. that being said this thread has intrigued me so i'll be going home and having a play with this haha 

Edited by A_J_T

• Joker changed the title to 03 BP5 Pops and Bangs Solution - if you don't have overrun tables.
1 minute ago, A_J_T said:

you know it haha, cant say i've ever tried those settings, thats all Marky.. currently i've got mine running more efficiency in the low load/low rpm zone for those calm high milage road trips and have dialled in all the fun in the spool zone.. that being said this thread has intrigued me so i'll be going home and having a play with this haha 

Yeah that's why i leave it above 1600 but i really need to make it above 2800ish because when in 5th gear at 100kmh its still in that zone so pops and bangs getting off gas in 5th cruising on the highway haha. I'm thinking i might actually richen up the fuel mixture between 3000-6000rpm on low loads for decel so when you get off gas after a pull you might get some nice flames. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pappu1 said:

too rich and it does not seem to flame as much from what i have tried

but the rich mixture is good given the low timing  - possibly adds a bit of softness inside the cylinder 

Really? That seems odd, i would have thought more fuel more fire haha

1 hour ago, Glentwenty said:

Really? That seems odd, i would have thought more fuel more fire haha

nah, you will start to get an incomplete burn/ dirty burn which will have less flame to it than a healthy combustion.. id assume thats when you start fowling plugs etc... more so if its super rich across the board.. running rich in decel wont do much harm i dont think cause it clears back up as soon as you are back on the pedal. 

23 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

nah, you will start to get an incomplete burn/ dirty burn which will have less flame to it than a healthy combustion.. id assume thats when you start fowling plugs etc... more so if its super rich across the board.. running rich in decel wont do much harm i dont think cause it clears back up as soon as you are back on the pedal. 

True that makes sense! Whenever I think of rich on decel I think of that video I'm sure you've all seen of the 2 EVOs in Malaysia chasing up a windy road, everytime the front evo gets off the gas it's just a spew of black smoke and flames. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Glentwenty said:

Whenever I think of rich on decel I think of that video I'm sure you've all seen of the 2 EVOs in Malaysia chasing up a windy road, everytime the front evo gets off the gas it's just a spew of black smoke and flames. 

• Like 2

• Admin

Gave it a bit of a crack tonight.

Facelift tables seem to have different naming to yours so took a bit of a stab in the dark and did primary cruise and non-cruise along with two others I can't think of the name for but the stock numbers were all the same.

Started at 1600rpm but didn't do the fuelling yet. Seems to have made super slow car park cruising quite jerky so might raise the min rpm another step.

If anything it’s probably a bit too pop and crackly. Especially coming off motorways where it's a long slow deceleration. Being catless will be making it more pronounced on mine I guess

Gave it a bit of a crack tonight.
Facelift tables seem to have different naming to yours so took a bit of a stab in the dark and did primary cruise and non-cruise along with two others I can't think of the name for but the stock numbers were all the same.
Started at 1600rpm but didn't do the fuelling yet. Seems to have made super slow car park cruising quite jerky so might raise the min rpm another step.
If anything it’s probably a bit too pop and crackly. Especially coming off motorways where it's a long slow deceleration. Being catless will be making it more pronounced on mine I guess
Interesting, does yours do it all the time on decel? Or only when you slightly touch the throttle. If it does it all the time, maybe only do it on the non cruising tables, what I'm thinking is since the cruising tables are also adjusted then it will probably do it all the time on decel where as on our model it will only do it when you only just touch the throttle, it doesn't speed the car up at all but it's just enough throttle to kick in the other table. So maybe that would work for yours as well, yeah I've got gutted cats but a center muffler so maybe that's why yours is way louder.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Admin

Na not always. Think it might be just my style of driving. I tend to change down and ease onto the throttle real lightly which causes it. Talking holding like 10% throttle plate open vs no pedal being 4%. 

Is yours stock past the decatted DP? Post DP mines 3inch with a hotdog resonator and straight through mufflers.

Na not always. Think it might be just my style of driving. I tend to change down and ease onto the throttle real lightly which causes it. Talking holding like 10% throttle plate open vs no pedal being 4%. 
Is yours stock past the decatted DP? Post DP mines 3inch with a hotdog resonator and straight through mufflers.
Yeah mines stock past downpipe, no rear mufflers but stock center muffler. I will be removing and swapping the center muffler out for a straight through resonator to give it a deeper sound. I bet yours sounds good! Once I go big turbo I'll get a full exhaust done.

I've had another crack at changing some things tonight so I'll load that up tomorrow morning and give it a whirl. I'll hook the GoPro up too and try get a half decent video 
Awesome can't wait to see how it sounds! Once my exhaust setup is better than it is now I'll setup my gopro and get some footage too

• Like 1

Tried this on my BE running centre cat, centre muffler and stock axle back. Could get some pops and crackles but mostly it was being soaked up by the cat i believe. was not a fan of the sound either, sounded like someone farting into a pillow lol.. Id say a good flowing exhaust without cats would make it much more exciting.

• Like 1